Options

Comments

• Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The-Truth wrote: »
    Here's the actual post:

"However, only 33 of the 54 UK !services responded to our request for data, while 16 refused to answer and 19 did not provide stats for the whole years.

It is estimated the true figure could be as high as 6,000."
    :A
    So that's tabloid speak for we're completely guessing/bordering on making it up! And also this is tumble dryers as a whole, nothing to do with the specific issue that is supposed to be addressed in this thread.

The whirlpool brand make up a very large percentage of tumble dryers made andI think the Daily Mirror investigation does cast doubt on the Whirlpool figures, especially as they refuse to be interviewed on the subject.
  • AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    Zandoni wrote: »
    The whirlpool brand make up a very large percentage of tumble dryers made andI think the Daily Mirror investigation does cast doubt on the Whirlpool figures, especially as they refuse to be interviewed on the subject.

The Daily Mirror needs to wind their neck in as speculative rubbish like this isn't helping anyone.

The Daily Mirror are not an authority nor official body - so it's hardly surprising Whirlpool "refuse" to be interviewed. I'm sure they've got better things to do, like arrange the recall instead of be grilled by some jumped up journalist who will probably twist everything they say.

This casts doubt on nothing as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather believe the Whirlpool figures we already have over some half arsed questionably put together "article" by the Daily Mirror.
  • Zandoni
    Options
    AJXX wrote: »
    The Daily Mirror needs to wind their neck in as speculative rubbish like this isn't helping anyone.

The Daily Mirror are not an authority nor official body - so it's hardly surprising Whirlpool "refuse" to be interviewed. I'm sure they've got better things to do, like arrange the recall instead of be grilled by some jumped up journalist who will probably twist everything they say.

This casts doubt on nothing as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather believe the Whirlpool figures we already have over some half arsed questionably put together "article" by the Daily Mirror.

Luckily you can believe what you want. It's not just the Daily Mirror that they refuse to be interviewed by they are keeping away from all media.

I doubt the Whirlpool representative would be busy arranging repairs, I'd suggest though that they would be scared of the question 'so when did you first starting having concerns over the safety of your products'

I'm glad you believe the Whirlpool figures but I have genuine concerns.
  • AJXX
    Options
    Luckily you can believe what you want. It's not just the Daily Mirror that they refuse to be interviewed by they are keeping away from all media.

That's not strictly true - I posted a link to an interview a few weeks back (may have been on the older thread).

Also, if ITV's This Morning are to believed then their "consumer expert" claims to have done an interview with Hotpoint's MD, though for whatever reason This Morning's "consumer expert" decided to tell us nothing about it at all nor make the details public. Probably because Hotpoint answered the questions reasonability and it wasn't 'scaremongering' enough no doubt.
  • Zandoni
    Options
    That's not strictly true - I posted a link to an interview a few weeks back (may have been on the older thread).

Also, if ITV's This Morning are to believed then their "consumer expert" claims to have done an interview with Hotpoint's MD, though for whatever reason This Morning's "consumer expert" decided to tell us nothing about it at all nor make the details public. Probably because Hotpoint answered the questions reasonability and it wasn't 'scaremongering' enough no doubt.

Yes you're right there was an interview https://player.vimeo.com/video/155704348?title=1&byline=1&portrait=1&autoplay=0

They probably came away from that one and said 'never again'

TTV's This Morning have offered all sorts to make it easy for them to appear on the show but they refuse.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

The figures in the Daily Mirror are put together based on actual figures and then extrapolated to cover those fire services that didn't respond. Now I've no doubt they've gone for the high end figure, but at least that's based on some actual numbers.

So on the one hand we have Whirlpool, with a vested interest in keeping the numbers low, who reveal a minimal amount of information. On the other hand we have the Daily Mirror, who have an interest in the numbers being higher, but who have based those numbers on impartial sources.

Not sure why you think that Whirlpool are trustworthy but the Mirror isn't.
  • AJXX
    Options
    Yes you're right there was an interview https://player.vimeo.com/video/155704348?title=1&byline=1&portrait=1&autoplay=0

They probably came away from that one and said 'never again'

Can you blame them? I'm sure I said this at the time it was posted but it was a terrible interview by a whiney reporter who seemed to lack the ability to think on his feet and ask new questions. Instead he rehashed the same questions that the lady had already given reasonable answers for over and over again accompanied by faux outrage like the lady from Hotpoint had shat in his kids breakfast prior to the interview.

It was borderline unwatchable and someone seriously messed up letting that guy do the interview, we could have had some seriously good questions put to that woman (like exactly when they knew etc...) had they not used such a rubbish reporter who no doubt memorised the questions whilst his mother drove him to the interview.
  • Zandoni
    Options
    Can you blame them? I'm sure I said this at the time it was posted but it was a terrible interview by a whiney reporter who seemed to lack the ability to think on his feet and ask new questions. Instead he rehashed the same questions that the lady had already given reasonable answers for over and over again accompanied by faux outrage like the lady from Hotpoint had shat in his kids breakfast prior to the interview.

It was borderline unwatchable and someone seriously messed up letting that guy do the interview, we could have had some seriously good questions put to that woman (like exactly when they knew etc...) had they not used such a rubbish reporter who no doubt memorised the questions whilst his mother drove him to the interview.

It was a pretty rubbish interview, but if they feel they have done all they can to sort this major problem out why don't they put their side to the media?
  • AJXX
    Options
    The figures in the Daily Mirror are put together based on actual figures and then extrapolated to cover those fire services that didn't respond. Now I've no doubt they've gone for the high end figure, but at least that's based on some actual numbers.

So on the one hand we have Whirlpool, with a vested interest in keeping the numbers low, who reveal a minimal amount of information. On the other hand we have the Daily Mirror, who have an interest in the numbers being higher, but who have based those numbers on impartial sources.

Not sure why you think that Whirlpool are trustworthy but the Mirror isn't.

The figures the Daily Mirror have used are tumble dryer fires as a whole - it's nothing really to do with the modification program at hand. Which is why I'd be more inclined to believe the figures from Whirlpool which are based on this notification program - over a tabloid spewing hypothetical numbers based on nothing to do with this particular situation.
  • AJXX
    Options
    It was a pretty rubbish interview, but if they feel they have done all they can to sort this major problem out why don't they put their side to the media?

That's a question for Hotpoint to answer surely?

Personally - I don't see what they'd achieve by doing that, it's clear from reading the various threads that no matter what they do there is going to be public outcry and people generally being upset about it with various questionable levels of reasonableness on the publics side.

I think they're doing a good job of getting on with it instead of running to the papers to defend themselves, which probably would only create a massive back and forth game of tennis between the media and Hotpoint.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure