MSE News: Hotpoint tumble dryer help: 3 extra tricks to get you a refund

Options

Comments

• Denise_Muir
    Options
    I rang and complained about my tumble-drier and spoke to a very obnoxious and arrogant man who was very rude when I asked for a free replacement and got no-where so I then went onto their Facebook page and complained LOUDLY and got an immediate reply. They asked me the details of my drier (model no etc) and then asked me to send them my address in a private message which I did. Within 5 mins I had a reply offering me a NEW condenser drier for free! I accepted straight away and it has been swapped today for my old one. RESULT!!!
    Thank you MSE!
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, I could write a letter, but all I really wanted was a decent estimate of date. They promised a date last month, then this month - surely I should be pretty much at the top of the queue by now. But no-one could even give me that information. I'm far from convinced they have any sort of queue, it's just a chaotic list of people being seen to in no particular order, so whoever shouts loudest gets heard first. Once again, dreadful management.
    In spite of people here saying facebook was a waste of time, when I contacted them they gave me a slot within a week!

The only problem for me was that it was for when I was going on holiday and I couldn't get hold of them to change it.

Might be worth a try!
  • Denise_Muir
    Options
    Facebook is definitely worth trying as it's seen by a lot of people and the reply was instant. No waiting for a reply, INSTANT!
    But after making arrangements for them to deliver today I had a phone call from a different department wanting to make an appointment to deliver my new tumble-drier. I pointed out that I had already made arrangements and she apologised. One dept doesn't know what the other is doing! What a chaotic mess. I'll never buy anything from Indesit etc again!
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Decided to take advantage of reduced price replacement for our 9 year old "basic" Creda machine rather than wait for possible November repair date. HOWEVER, got as far as the payment page when the payment system turned up its toes and failed -not sure now whether it is ordered or not for next Friday !!!:mad:
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    WHICH FACEBOOK page are people posting/complaining on ???
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    WHICH FACEBOOK page are people posting/complaining on ???
    I sent a private message through the Hotpoint page.

https://www.facebook.com/hotpointuk/?fref=ts
  • Scary_
    Scary_ Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    After reading this thread last week, the Facebook route worked for us.

We registered our dryer as soon as the issue was publicised in November, we had a couple of missed calls from them and then nothing. At the beginning of March I managed to get through to someone who gave me a customer number and said we were meant to have our machine modified in February, then in April it was meant to be March.

Posted on Indesit's Facebook wall and then sent details via private message. the next day we were offered a replacement dryer and it was delivered yesterday. They took away the old one too

It's not the same sort of dryer (condensing not vented) but much more advanced and expensive than the original. :T

Seems they're doing a lot of replacements at the moment.
  • Rotti
    Rotti Posts: 232 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Scary_ wrote: »
    Posted on Indesit's Facebook wall and then sent details via private message. the next day we were offered a replacement dryer and it was delivered yesterday. They took away the old one too

It's not the same sort of dryer (condensing not vented) but much more advanced and expensive than the original. :T

Seems they're doing a lot of replacements at the moment.
    If you find you don't get on with the condenser get on to them straight away and reject it and tell them you want a like for like replacement, i.e vented.
    When we replaced our elderly Servis vented dryer (did a load in 40 minutes or less) we thought we would go for an expensive Whirlpool condenser model so ordered one from AO. Luckily over the first weekend we still had the Servis which was working and selling on auction on eBay. The first load of wash we put into the condenser dryer after a fast spin took nearly 6 hours to dry properly and the sensor told lies. It kept saying the load was dry and it was still wet. Out of sheer frustration we had to break out the old one, set it up on the patio and plug it in through the window so that we could get the washing dry without being at it all night as well. My son used to pay a cleaner for a morning and part of her job was to do the washing and drying which she managed easily with her other jobs - no way could she have done it with this machine! I contacted AO and told them it was useless and I wanted to return it and CS were quite rude telling me I couldn't return it as I had used it - yes I had for one load and that's how I knew it was useless! How else would I possibly have known? They wouldn't budge so I emailed the CEO and he arranged for it to be picked up on the Monday and replaced with the Indesit vented model and the balance of nearly £200 refunded. At that point I thought it was the end of the problems - little did I know it was just the beginning and I now have machine number 3 so third time lucky!
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There could be as many as 6000 Tumble Dryer fires over the last 6 years if The Daily Mirror are right.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/6000-tumble-dryers-burst-flames-7371891
  • The-Truth
    The-Truth Posts: 483 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2016 at 8:00AM
    Options
    Zandoni wrote: »
    There could be as many as 6000 Tumble Dryer fires over the last 6 years if The Daily Mirror are right.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/6000-tumble-dryers-burst-flames-7371891

Here's the actual post:

"However, only 33 of the 54 UK !services responded to our request for data, while 16 refused to answer and 19 did not provide stats for the whole years.

It is estimated the true figure could be as high as 6,000."

So that's tabloid speak for we're completely guessing/bordering on making it up! And also this is tumble dryers as a whole, nothing to do with the specific issue that is supposed to be addressed in this thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure