MSE News: Hotpoint tumble dryer help: 3 extra tricks to get you a refund

Options

Comments

• J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,447 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Engineer arrived this afternoon - stripped down our 10 (?) year old drier and then realised that we had a different shaped drum to the one he thought!
    He has re-booked for 2 weeks time when the correct shaped bit will be available.
    He did mention that other faulty parts may be replaced during the visit if they were deemed to be unsafe ..... ;)
  • *zippy*
    *zippy* Posts: 2,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had mine done last week, the repair guy asked if I had any problems with it and said on the call before mine he'd fitted 8 new parts as well as the modifications.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well, thought I'd share my own experience.

Registered in November. Given an estimated repair date of March. At the end of March this changes to April. Not heard anything yet, it's not the middle of April, so thought I'd phone to find out what's happening and see if there was a more accurate estimate on when the modification may be done, or even some ability to book a date over the phone - even if the date is a couple of weeks away, it'll give me chance to arrange to be in.

Phoned the number on their website, 0800 151 0905. Answered immediately, but the person who answered said they couldn't help, I'd need to speak to the engineering team. Got given their number, 03448 224224.

Phoned the engineering team. 15 minutes on hold, person who answered said they couldn't help, I needed to speak to the dedicated repairs team on 0800 151 0905. Pointed out I'd just phoned them, was told it was definitely them I needed to speak to, they didn't know why I'd been given this number at all, if they tried to "fob me off again" (their words) I needed to speak to a manager.

Phoned back to 0800 151 0905. Got through straight away, explained the situation, once again told I needed to speak to the engineering team. Pointed out that Hotpoint were sending me round in circles, and asked to speak to a manager as I'd been instructed. Asked to hold, waited for just over 10 minutes before the operative came back. They apologised, still didn't know why I'd been told to phone them back, but because I'd been "lied to" (their words) they would escalate my case to the engineering team and someone would call me back.

I'm not holding my breath.

What an absolute shambles. Two different contact centres, each refusing to do anything and blaming the other. I was perfectly calm throughout, but it's hardly a surprise if people get annoyed with them. They also caused two extra calls to the call centres just through their own incompetence. What is the point in advertising a number for "Tumble dryer modification programme" on their website if that number just tries to pass you on to someone else?
  • AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    What an absolute shambles. Two different contact centres, each refusing to do anything and blaming the other. I was perfectly calm throughout, but it's hardly a surprise if people get annoyed with them. They also caused two extra calls to the call centres just through their own incompetence. What is the point in advertising a number for "Tumble dryer modification programme" on their website if that number just tries to pass you on to someone else?

Been said time and time again on here for months that it's entirely pointless attempting to deal with them via phone - you've been following the thread or at least posted a few times so I would have assumed you'd have realised this.

I've got no idea what's going on in their call centres but can only assume the sheer volume of calls and complaints received means the staff literally do not care any more (probably sick of their lives); hence just saying anything to get you off the phone.

Either write to them or fill out the contact form at the bottom of this page: https://www.hotpoint.co.uk/contact-us/
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    AJXX wrote: »
    I've got no idea what's going on in their call centres but can only assume the sheer volume of calls and complaints received means the staff literally do not care any more (probably sick of their lives); hence just saying anything to get you off the phone.
    Yep, if you are sick of your job then it is perfectly acceptable to just ignore your responsibilities. It is after all the consumers problem for not writing to them instead.
    Either write to them or fill out the contact form at the bottom of this page: https://www.hotpoint.co.uk/contact-us/
    Which will result in a phone call from them. ;)
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Been said time and time again on here for months that it's entirely pointless attempting to deal with them via phone - you've been following the thread or at least posted a few times so I would have assumed you'd have realised this.

Just because you and a few others have had some success with a letter doesn't mean it's the best way. I know people who have had a quick repair by moaning on Facebook and phoning , so there's absolutely nothing to realise.
  • AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Yep, if you are sick of your job then it is perfectly acceptable to just ignore your responsibilities. It is after all the consumers problem for not writing to them instead

Err.. I didn't say that did I - I was just giving my theory on why the call centre is so terrible. I haven't blamed any consumers.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

The problem is not the call centre staff, the problem comes from the top.

Decent management would ensure call centre staff knew what they were doing. It would not give out a useless phone number on the website as the first point of contact regarding modification enquiries. It would ensure that call centres gave an estimate of how long you'd be likely to be on hold, so you knew whether it was worth waiting.

Most of all, decent management would make sure that people are proactively contacted with correct and up-to-date information, not just left with a moving 'estimate' that appears to have little basis in reality.

Yes, I could write a letter, but all I really wanted was a decent estimate of date. They promised a date last month, then this month - surely I should be pretty much at the top of the queue by now. But no-one could even give me that information. I'm far from convinced they have any sort of queue, it's just a chaotic list of people being seen to in no particular order, so whoever shouts loudest gets heard first. Once again, dreadful management.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    Engineer arrived this afternoon - stripped down our 10 (?) year old drier and then realised that we had a different shaped drum to the one he thought!
    He has re-booked for 2 weeks time when the correct shaped bit will be available.
    He did mention that other faulty parts may be replaced during the visit if they were deemed to be unsafe ..... ;)

The same happened to me, my elderly dryer is all sparkling new inside...Really happy with the service.
  • Threewheeler
    Threewheeler Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 April 2016 at 8:29AM
    Options
    Had call booked for today, just had call, engineer is on long term sick so will not be coming. This, after we arranged to be in specially, now rebooked for two weeks time, I'm not holding my breath.
    :grouphug: Threewheeler
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport