PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House on for £290,000 one down the road £250,000

Options

Comments

• Brightspark87
    Brightspark87 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    cadon wrote: »
    How will you feel if she accepts an offer of 282k, your surveyor says it's only worth £275k and she won't negotiate on the price?

Never mind your heart, can your bank balance cover a shortfall between the valuation and asking price if this woman point blank refuses to negotiate and it turns out you were right about the value all along? If it's a definite no, I'd walk away as you'll then waste money on professional fees.

A nice modern house can have all kinds of problems that aren't visible to a layperson. I bet a rural property can have a lot more that's wrong with it! The issues you mentioned like the roof may or may not be reflected in the price. You won't know until you're incurred money on getting a survey and valuation done.

She doesn't sound like she'd negotiate if the survey came back with problems...

I agree however, we do have some wiggle room when it comes to mortgage and 25% LTV on this house @ £282,500 (as in a spare £££ and still get the mortgage we need) so if it was down valued we could still manage. My mum said over Easter that its not worth missing out on the house we like for £5k or less so therefore we should keep that in mind and if the house is valued at lower by the survey then we can deal with that as and when.

My brother had a similar problem just two weeks ago and it was down valued by £3k and they would not reduce so he just paid it.

She is Spanish doesn't speak good English and will only communicate with the agent via email so that is why we are struggling.

Another couple are looking for the second time on Thursday and agent thinks they will put in an offer (of course!!) but we have offered £277,500 - just £2,500 less than the agent said she will accept. Agent keen to sell to us as I work next door to them, they know the guy I sit next to at work as he is a mortgage broker and as FTB we can be far more flexible.

She has to move to Cambridge in July when her new job starts and I hope this has made her more set on selling it! Although as she is buying in a much more expensive area I think its a little unlikely she will take less than £280,000 but we shall see!

Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    I agree with your Mum, Sparky.
    In your place, I'd want someone to have a close look at those flat rooves; if they've got ten years left in 'em, fine.

Re Cambridge. Am currently embroiled in buying an ex local authority house; won't get much change from half a million quid! :eek:
    ..So your vendor needs every penny she can squeeze out of this sale, and even so will probably end up in a one or two bed flat on the most notorious council estate. :cool:
  • Brightspark87
    Options
    *Robin* wrote: »
    I agree with your Mum, Sparky.
    In your place, I'd want someone to have a close look at those flat rooves; if they've got ten years left in 'em, fine.

Re Cambridge. Am currently embroiled in buying an ex local authority house; won't get much change from half a million quid! :eek:
    ..So your vendor needs every penny she can squeeze out of this sale, and even so will probably end up in a one or two bed flat on the most notorious council estate. :cool:

I know Robin - my brother moved from London (well Tooting) and bought a slightly bigger house but not much difference in price so its expensive.

We've offered £282,500 but had another spanner in the works due to the other house at £249,500 coming back onto the market too! the sale has fallen through.... DH is keen we go look again so off we toddle on Saturday.....

• marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    Options
    This has to be the most protracted offer situation ever!
  • Brightspark87
    Options
    marksoton wrote: »
    This has to be the most protracted offer situation ever!

Not as bad as my brother in London...!!

But thanks :beer:

• Brightspark87
    Options
    Does anyone want to know whats happened or shall I just leave this now.

• sham63
    sham63 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Of course - we need find out if there's a happy ending!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can't leave us in suspense after all these posts! That would be too cruel. :(

Besides, people might stalk you on MSE for hints and clues. :eek:

Far better to spill the beans...;)
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    150 posts on this thread, you can't just walk away. Everyone will want to know the outcome.
  • Brightspark87
    edited 1 April 2016 at 4:33PM
    Options
    Well the £290k one? She won't sell to us because this is a quote 'we are first time buyers so risky and we ask too many questions.' The others offered £280,000 have a house to sell and we offered £282,500. Personally? I almost felt relief - although I am not an experienced house buyer she is a nightmare... Agent bet me a tenner she will come back to us in a few weeks time....

So, looking at the cheaper http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39883182.html Saturday. I think we might make an offer (after all of this eh?!) the agents on it are local stars too - all I see are their pink boards!

Any thoughts?!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family