PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House on for £290,000 one down the road £250,000

Options
Brightspark87
Brightspark87 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
edited 24 February 2016 at 3:18PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi guys

I am in the process of buying my first home with DH. However, the one we love is SO much more expensive than the one down the road. Now it has a much bigger garden and is in good condition but is smaller than the cheaper house.

Now I want to put in a cheeky little offer on the more expensive one as its really the one we want.

now I have done my homework and I know the reason that the lady who owns the most expensive one bought at the highest point of the market in Bristol (where I am buying) in October 2007 for £322,500.

I want to offer £255,000. Now I will go up but I don't think its worth more than £260,000.

Its had 14 people come to look at and we are the first people to seriously consider an offer - which again as the agent hinted at - means it is likely to be over priced.

They are also cheekily marketing it at 3 bed - when one room is so small you cant even fit a single bed in it!

Would love your thoughts on what the next move should be...

Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014

Comments

• MrJB
    MrJB Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    I'd make the offer at the level you're suggesting, but go into detail as to your reasoning behind the offer. Plainly the vendor is anticipating losing money, but whether that will extend to losing another 30k is anyones guess! I would at least give some background to your offer, otherwise it just seems meaningless.
  • walwyn1978
    Options
    What Mr JB said. Detail as to why you're so much lower than the asking. Don't be offended if you get turned down flat either - it may be that the vendor either has unrealistic expectations or has set that price as its what she needs to pay off the mortgage?
  • Brightspark87
    Options
    I think she thinks its worth a lot more than it is.... agent hinted at this as we nearly didn't even view in the first place due to the high price.

I asked if she would accept an offer and he seemed so happy we might proceed he said of course!

thanks re points regarding the detailed offer I will ensure I do this.

• brewthebear
    Options
    If you think the house down the road is better value go for it instead your trying to get the more expensive one for more or less the same price you think its worth imagine the home owner getting a crap offer do you think this will make them want to sell to you Ive been in that same boat and my view was take a hike
  • Brightspark87
    Options
    If you think the house down the road is better value go for it instead your trying to get the more expensive one for more or less the same price you think its worth imagine the home owner getting a crap offer do you think this will make them want to sell to you Ive been in that same boat and my view was take a hike

Its still £5,500 more than the one down the road, however, we prefer the style of this house.

She is still getting a £22,500 sum higher than what she paid of it after buying at the top of the market last time... In my eyes not something to be sniffed at given that it took some time to recover around here.

• Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    Your original post said she paid 332k - was this a typo then? Big difference!
  • Where in Brizzle?
  • Brightspark87
    Options
    oops yes sorry its me trying to make the most of my lunch break and quickly type it up!!

£322,500 was the purchase price

• Brightspark87
    Options
    its on the outskirts of Bristol north way towards M5 - in BS35 postcode

• Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Its still £5,500 more than the one down the road, however, we prefer the style of this house.

She is still getting a £22,500 sum higher than what she paid of it after buying at the top of the market last time... In my eyes not something to be sniffed at given that it took some time to recover around here.

You dont know WHY she needs the asking price , or close to it , its got nothing to do with what you can `sniff at or not

Take emotion out of it , give your offer , and dont include a load of meandering nonsense about why you`ve offered so far below AP
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure