err_connection_timed_out

Options

Comments

• grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Based on info it does sound like a local connection issue. While I'm sure you tried this turn router off for 20secs and then on again.

You seem to be ignoring requests to try a cable connection to the router. You must try this.

Next, you said you had problems with the commands.
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /registerdns
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    Try them again.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • garybarlowsbeard
    Options
    Will try cable, then (another) router reboot, then flushdns and report back, cheers.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    has worked for a few years there with laptop probably 7m away and now wont work at 2m.
    Have you got more devices connected in recent times than you did when it was working for a few years?
    E.g. did you both have phones connected to the wifi two years ago? Do you have children, or others in the house, that now use the wifi who didn't previously? Have you added a smart TV that connects to the wifi?

In many households, the number of connected devices has shot up in the last few years. Could be that the laptop is at the bottom of the pecking order.

Alternatively, did this only start to be a problem when you upgraded to Windows 10?
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    Plus try getting the router stats (link to how above) and posting them up.
  • garybarlowsbeard
    Options
    Nope, not to do with number of devices - that hasn't changed.

Using the ethernet cable seems to have fixed it. Not 100% sure as can't test it all day on here as not possible (I work from home and where router is I cant sit). Never really used wired connection before but when I just plugged the cable in it seemed to not do much but when I went to settings and turned wi-fi off it seemed to work better. Would it automatically use the cable if it was plugged in or would I have had to do something (eg turn wi-fi off)?
  • garybarlowsbeard
    garybarlowsbeard Posts: 368 Forumite
    edited 2 February 2016 at 12:36PM
    Options
    Ok, now sat v near the router but using wi-fi it also seems to work better. Will try my usual position and if it doesn't work try and get those router stats. Feel like getting warmer now and thanks yet again to all helping.

edit - is it the Kitz link or the techspot to get the relevant stats?
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    Would it automatically use the cable if it was plugged in or would I have had to do something (eg turn wi-fi off)?
    No it would continue to use the connection it already had.

It seems that the problem probably was WiFi as I suspected.

Use the Kittz link to get info on how to get your routerstats. These will give an idea on the quality of your ADSL connection so will be of some use regardless of the cause of your specific problem.

The techspot link is to a download of InSSIDer which installas on your laptop and when the WiFi is enabled will show signal strength of the WiFi signal and other nearby hotspots which will be competing for your bandwidth. By avoiding using the same channel as your nearest neighbours you can reduce the impact their signal will have on yours. You'd need to change the channel your router is using yourself and the same interface you use to get the stats will have a link somehwere to set that (there may be help on the Plusnet site too).

The 2.4Ghz Wifi band is divided into 14 channels but they overlap and the band only really caters for 3 full channels which are 1 6 and 11. If you and your near neighbour were both using channel 1 (say) then switching to channel 2 would help but not by as much as moving to (say) 6 assuming that was unused.
  • garybarlowsbeard
    Options
    Hmm, weird, it seems better but not perfect working in my usual position upstairs so wonder if the router is weak or struggling or...god knows. Anyway, sorry, which link/stats would be best next?

Edit - just seen the post above re kitz so will do that now.
  • garybarlowsbeard
    Options
    hMM, i'VE DONE THE kITZ THING AND LOGGED INTO THE ROUTER BUT CAN'T SEE ANY OF THE SORTS OF STATS YOU MENTIONED. Whoops.

In one bit under DSL connection I have the following:

Uptime: 10 days, 1:49:32

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 9,331

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 3.00 / 67.01

===========================

Under "Internet" I have:

View more...

Link Status: IPv4 connected

IPv6 disconnected

Type: PPPoA

Uptime: 8 days, 0:05:16

IPv4 Address: 37.152.215.93

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 2.65 / 59.16

===================

Under event logging I have lots of flagged up entries in red eg:

Feb 2 11:01:44 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 173.210.119.46 Dst ip: 37.152.215.93 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable
  • garybarlowsbeard
    Options
    Ok, think these are the stats, apologies.

Uptime: 10 days, 2:13:21

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 9,331

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 3.01 / 67.05

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 3.3 / 15.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.2 / 6.1

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 2 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0