err_connection_timed_out

Options
garybarlowsbeard
garybarlowsbeard Posts: 368 Forumite
edited 31 January 2016 at 9:51AM in Techie Stuff
I've been having this problem for a few weeks now but thought was the ISP as had loads of issues with them before. They say it isn't and have now looked at solutions and have tried most of the main ones I've read inlcuding:

trying with anti-virus off
Clean boot (think I need help now turning back on whatever it is that I need to come on automatically....EDIT - think I've re-enabled the correct ones now))
there was no problem with the windows hosts file
did LAN settings
Flush/review DNS (had problerm here, I think, with the final command ipconfig/renew as it seemed to bring an error message regarding no connection but then it spurted out a load of text so not sure if it worked or not)

I'm not very techie at all and was pleased I'd managed to do all of the above (with varying degrees of success) so any further help appreciated.

If it helps diagnosis, the issue affects all sites intermittently and often after a brief period of showing the err_connection_timed_out screen the page will load but sometimes it won't load at all, whilst others it doesn't load fully/properly. AFAIK there aren't any sites that work espoecially better than others, though perhaps one or two that more often than not seem to load in a more basic/HTML type format. Also it seems to affect all browsers. I mainly use Chrome but checked IE and Firefox too.

Thanks for any help in advance!

GBB

Comments

• kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    There's a whole lot more info needed from you to even start considering this.

ISP?
    Connection type - ADSL? Fibre? Cable?
    Router/modem connection stats.
    From some of the info you gave I'm guessing Windows - which version?
    Wired or WifI connection

Probably more depending on answers.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you're using wifi, try a wired connection.

Also, I'd run the anti-malware software below to make sure something nasty isn't trying to change your browser or network settings.

adwCleaner: https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/
    MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware: https://www.malwarebytes.org/
  • garybarlowsbeard
    Options
    ISP is Plusnet
    Connection ADSL (I think - just normal phoneline?)
    Router/connection stats - not sure what this is but ISP said connection was good at their end and not dropping
    Windows 10

Have run the free version of Malwarebytes and got two detected objects:

PUP.Optional.InstallCore

PUP.Optional.RegCleanPro

Oh, another thing that might rule out certain issues is that my phone and my wife's (apple/android FWIW) both work fine on the home wi-fi.

Thanks again for your help.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And how is the PC connected WiFI or wired Ethernet connection?
  • garybarlowsbeard
    Options
    Sorry, thought I'd said, wi-fi and as said, phones connecting fine to the wi-fi.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    Normally to debug issues such as this the initial course would be to first confirm that the internet connection itself is sound and I'd ask you to go to http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php and find the stats page containing the sync speed, line attenuation, noise margin, error counts, and up time but from your comments it seems more likely that the issue will be the WiFi part of the connection.

WiFi is far less reliable than a wired ethernet connection and the fact it is working for your mobile devices doesn't mean it will also work perfectly for your laptop/desktop.

So more questions...
    How far is the failing device from your router? Is the router mounted off the floor and clear of obstructions?
    Does the mobile device work at more-or-less the same place?
    If a desktop what sort of WiFi device are you using and is it mounted clear of the machine and its other wiring?

There are mobile apps that will report your signal strength and other WiFi networks nearby which would be useful in checking things out. It's unclear if the device(s) are both Apple and Android or if you are unsure which. Whichever they are a search of the appropriate store using WiFi as a keyword should show plenty to choose from. On the PC itself you can get a Windows program to check the WiFi from http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html
  • garybarlowsbeard
    Options
    The laptop is quite far from the router normally but where it has always been without fault. As I type it's just 8 foot away though and the problems are the same. The router is on the floor and behind the couch but I don'tt think this is the issue as has worked for a few years there with laptop probably 7m away and now wont work at 2m.

Any help really would be appreciated. As said I don't know much but feel the issue must be something in/on the laptop as other devices working fine. I usually get an error "this page is unavailable" with the err-connection error message too but then usually just going back into that tab (if I have more than one open) will make the page load, without me refreshing or anything but it does it slowly and sometimes loads the basic version of the page.

Thanks again!
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ISP is Plusnet
    Connection ADSL (I think - just normal phoneline?)
    Router/connection stats - not sure what this is but ISP said connection was good at their end and not dropping
    Windows 10

Have run the free version of Malwarebytes and got two detected objects:

PUP.Optional.InstallCore

PUP.Optional.RegCleanPro

Oh, another thing that might rule out certain issues is that my phone and my wife's (apple/android FWIW) both work fine on the home wi-fi.

Thanks again for your help.

It might be worth running Malwarebytes again to see if its still there. Google those two Pups and they seem to come back in Malwarebytes.

Run Adw Cleaner also as esuhl's post
  • garybarlowsbeard
    Options
    Did both of those things and no sign of anything.
  • garybarlowsbeard
    Options
    Sorry, may not have done the new right first time. Redid it and got rid of everything it highglighted (hopefgully haven't lost anything I needed - dont think so)

Report is:

# AdwCleaner v5.032 - Logfile created 02/02/2016 at 08:52:09
    # Updated 31/01/2016 by Xplode
    # Database : 2016-01-31.1 [Server]
    # Operating system : Windows 10 Home (x64)
    # Username : Robin - CONCORDE
    # Running from : C:\Users\Robin\Downloads\adwcleaner_5.032 (1).exe
    # Option : Cleaning
    # Support : http://toolslib.net/forum

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Folders ] *****

[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files (x86)\Amazon\ABB
    [-] Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Robin\AppData\Local\Mobogenie
    [-] Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Robin\AppData\Roaming\digitalsite
    [-] Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Robin\AppData\Roaming\MetaCrawler

***** [ Files ] *****

[-] File Deleted : C:\Users\Robin\daemonprocess.txt
    [-] File Deleted : C:\Users\Robin\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Extension Settings\doobfiogmfmpjnoofjhhgjehmlofngfp

***** [ DLLs ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Scheduled tasks ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{459DD0F7-0D55-D3DC-67BC-E6BE37E9D762}
    [-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DigitalSite
    [-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Zip Extractor Packages
    [-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0A7D6F3C-F2AB-48ED-BE23-99791BFF87D6}
    [!] Key Not Deleted : HKU\S-1-5-21-2377469262-3136387186-1027194951-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DigitalSite
    [!] Key Not Deleted : HKU\S-1-5-21-2377469262-3136387186-1027194951-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Zip Extractor Packages
    [-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Features\C3F6D7A0BA2FDE84EB329997B1FF786D
    [-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\C3F6D7A0BA2FDE84EB329997B1FF786D
    [-] Key Deleted : [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\C3F6D7A0BA2FDE84EB329997B1FF786D
    [!] Key Not Deleted : [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\C3F6D7A0BA2FDE84EB329997B1FF786D

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

[-] [C:\Users\Robin\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] [Startup_URLs] Deleted : hxxp://i.search.metacrawler.com/?f=1&a=ironmc2&cd=2XzuyEtN2Y1L1Qzu0CtBtCyEtA0D0CzyyDyDtDtAyC0B0FyDtN0D0Tzu0CyCyByDtN1L2XzutBtFtBtFzztFtCtByEyBtN1L1Czu&cr=1092627167&ir=
    [-] [C:\Users\Robin\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] [Extension] Deleted : bopakagnckmlgajfccecajhnimjiiedh
    [-] [C:\Users\Robin\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] [Extension] Deleted : doobfiogmfmpjnoofjhhgjehmlofngfp
    [-] [C:\Users\Robin\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] [Homepage] Deleted : hxxp://i.search.metacrawler.com/?f=1&a=ironmc2&cd=2XzuyEtN2Y1L1Qzu0CtBtCyEtA0D0CzyyDyDtDtAyC0B0FyDtN0D0Tzu0CyCyByDtN1L2XzutBtFtBtFzztFtCtByEyBtN1L1Czu&cr=1092627167&ir=

:: "Tracing" keys removed
    :: Winsock settings cleared

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C1].txt - [3044 bytes] ##########
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills