Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

If we vote for Brexit what happens

Options

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Conrad wrote: »
    Russia I suspect has further ambitions with regard to Ukrain and pro Russia forces probably backed by Russian forces are said to be amassing again.

The EU has done nothing but provoke Putin with sanctions and far more besides, he and the Russian people are probably now immune to EU punishment.

Of course Putin is a nut but I see no benefit in provoking him over and again.

In the eyes of the average Russian, the UK is a hipocrite, what with our readiness to deploy military force of Gibralter or any number of other off shore territories were compromised. In Russian eyes certain parts ofEurasia belong to the bear, and if you read your history, with some justification

An EU army would be a disaster in terms of efficiency

So that Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Poland, (plus a few more) gone then
  • Sapphire
    Sapphire Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 27 August 2016 at 12:00PM
    Options
    Russia I suspect has further ambitions with regard to Ukrain and pro Russia forces probably backed by Russian forces are said to be amassing again.

The EU has done nothing but provoke Putin with sanctions and far more besides, he and the Russian people are probably now immune to EU punishment.

In the eyes of the average Russian, the UK is a hipocrite, what with our readiness to deploy military force of Gibralter or any number of other off shore territories were compromised. In Russian eyes certain parts ofEurasia belong to the bear, and if you read your history, with some justification

I agree with most of your post. However, which parts of Eurasia do you think 'belong' to the Bear, and what is the justification for this in your eyes? If you are talking about the Ukraine, then perhaps there is some truth in what you say – this country was formed relatively recently by renegades and rebels largely from Russia, and there is some support for Russia in it. However, there would be no justification whatsoever in Russia invading ancient nations like Poland, Lithuania, Hungary and others – which are actually much older than Russia.

NATO, not an 'EU army' (absurd idea), needs to provide a block to dissuade an advance by Putin into Europe. And yes, provoking Putin is another stupid idea.
  • Sapphire
    Options
    Next instalment coming up from the EU:

'Ve announce today that we vill be introducing a common tax and pension system to all countries in the EU [omit 'irrespective of the status of their differing economies']. Zis is in the spirit of ever-greater political union, which ve are continuing to implement [no vote by citizens of European nations required, of course].' Cue another standard picture of lined-up smiling dummies.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you a link to that Sapphire?
  • Sapphire
    Options
    LHW99 wrote: »
    Have you a link to that Sapphire?

Not at the moment, but I read about it in several sources a few weeks ago. Wait and see…
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    HAMISH_MCTAVISH Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sapphire wrote: »
    Not at the moment

Quelle surprise....
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • A_Medium_Size_Jock
    Options
    Meanwhile in other news .........

Merkel says "people would only choose the EU if it helped them to prosper", recognising that the EU needs to do more and that "sometimes we are out of touch with what Europe is really about".
    http://www.euronews.com/2016/08/26/merkel-calls-brexit-a-deep-break-in-eu-integration

This whilst the German economy shows signs of a slump:
    http://www.euractiv.com/section/trade-society/news/german-firms-see-brexit-clouds-approaching/
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I would recommend a read of

Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Tell You Everything You Need To Know About Global Politics by Tim Marshall.

You'll be enlightened that I can assure you.
  • TrickyTree83
    TrickyTree83 Posts: 3,930 Forumite
    Options

The Russian people may see it as part of the old country but Russia signed the Budapest Memorandum which was supposed to guarantee Ukrainian sovereignty and borders, they've now broken that treaty quite openly. Russian diplomatic currency is on the same downward trend as the Rouble and rightly so. The EU actually had little to do with Maidan compared to the US. There's even recorded telephone conversations where 'f**k the EU' is used by members of the US state department in conversation about who could form the next Ukrainian government.

Slightly related to what you were saying but I've travelled there many times since the war broke out, with a Ukrainian wife and relatives it's hard not to. Russian irregular forces in the region will likely get hammered next time fighting flares up. The UAF were woefully under prepared previously, basically a mixture of conscripts, extremists and buffoon command and control all acting independently of one another. They will have learnt the mistakes, even without the help of Western countries, which they've had in spades since Minsk 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport