Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

If we vote for Brexit what happens

Options

Comments

• setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    EU-Canada Trade Talks Falter, Boding Ill for Bigger Deals

Growing antitrade sentiment stymies ratification and signals trouble ahead for U.S. deals with EU, Asia
    The U.K. is also Canada’s biggest trading partner in the EU by far. Canada trade came to 92.5 billion Canadian dollars ($71.9 billion) last year, according to Canada’s national statistics agency. The U.K. accounted for more than a quarter of that total.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/eu-canada-trade-talks-falter-auguring-ill-for-bigger-deals-1472511958
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    There are millions of people with BMW car and motorbikes who would dispute the products are made to anywhere near the same standard.
    Chinese scooters are notorious.
    The safety of any imported product is down to UK/EU safetly standards and import controls. Even then things go wrong - Creda washing machines igniting / VW emissions / Audi theft protection holes for example.

The desirability of German vs Far Eastern cars, that's another matter. Quality is rising everywhere. Even the Japanese and Koreans now have Chinese manufacturers biting at their heels. MG is a brand that gets manufactured in China and finally assembled in the UK.

Frankly, I'm not the slightest bothered if an an economically suicidal tariff war started by a petulant EU minister means I buy a Korean or Chinese car in the future. the tariff war would be over very, very quickly once German industry leans on the politicians.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    There are millions of people with BMW car and motorbikes who would dispute the products are made to anywhere near the same standard.
    Chinese scooters are notorious.

Many BMW models haven't been built in Germany for years.

The X3, X4, X5 and X6 are actually made in South Carolina in the USA.
  • wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    Frankly, I'm not the slightest bothered if an an economically suicidal tariff war started by a petulant EU minister means I buy a Korean or Chinese car in the future. the tariff war would be over very, very quickly once German industry leans on the politicians.

I am - I don't want a Chinese car thanks.

I also don't buy into the assumption that suicidal economic tariff wars can only be started by EU politicians. Politicians here are just as capable of cutting off their noses as any from the EU.
  • TrickyTree83
    TrickyTree83 Posts: 3,930 Forumite
    Options
    wotsthat wrote: »

I also don't buy into the assumption that suicidal economic tariff wars can only be started by EU politicians. Politicians here are just as capable of cutting off their noses as any from the EU.

The ideal situation for everyone would be to retain free trade in the event of brexit, that flies in the face of the 4 freedoms, and flies in the face of EU worries of brexit contagion. If any party involved is going to put caveats on free trade or worse yet tariffs on trade it would likely be the EU rather than the UK at this stage.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wotsthat wrote: »

Would you consider buying a Volvo or a London taxi cab?
  • wotsthat
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Would you consider buying a Volvo or a London taxi cab?

Not really. In the last 30 years I've only owned cars made in Europe. Currently driving a BMW and I checked it was produced 'here' before buying.

Not a big deal but, if I can, I prefer to buy European built. I avoid (a) European cars manufactured outside Europe and (b) non-European cars even if they've been produced 'here'.
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    setmefree2 wrote: »

It is ironic isn't it? One of the the Brexiteers arguments for quitting the EU was because TTIP would lead to privatisation of the NHS, now they are celebrating that we are front of the queue for a similar trade deal with the US :(
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    StevieJ wrote: »
    It is ironic isn't it? One of the the Brexiteers arguments for quitting the EU was because TTIP would lead to privatisation of the NHS, now they are celebrating that we are front of the queue for a similar trade deal with the US :(

Erm. No I think you've got that wrong.

TTIP is a EU deal negotiated on behalf of 28 countries. Any deal we look at would be negotiated solely by the UK, specific to the areas that we want it to be on.
  • wotsthat
    Options
    mrginge wrote: »
    Erm. No I think you've got that wrong.

TTIP is a EU deal negotiated on behalf of 28 countries. Any deal we look at would be negotiated solely by the UK, specific to the areas that we want it to be on.

I keep seeing this sort of statement but I really don't see that the UK and EU would be after deals materially that different. We've managed to pool many decision making processes for over 40 years so I think this idea there's a gulf in desired outcome is imagined.

It's one of those principles where it's important only the UK negotiates on behalf of the UK but, in practice, makes little difference to the outcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure