Uncles Interfering Friend What To Do About It?

Options

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bluelass wrote: »
    He is a selfish stupid man.

Unless he has been like this all his life, it may a sign of dementia.

My friend cleans for an elderly couple and hates the weeks that the wife will be out when she goes there because the husband is always trying to touch her and saying things that make her uncomfortable.

He wasn't like this when he was younger - it happens sometimes when the brain starts to go.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Options
    Instead of suggesting 24 hour care for uncle, I would suggest that your aunt goes on holiday for a fortnight on her own, and that your cousins leave him to his own devices. Then you can see how well he can cope.

After all, someone is going to have to pay for his 24 hour care........
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I'm not excusing your uncle's behaviour, but he is absolutely right in saying he doesn't need 24 hour care!!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,675 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It does not sound as if your uncle needs 24 hour nursing care but equally your aunt is at liberty to say she cannot cope with him any more. Personally I would let your uncle go and live with his friend. You cannot make him go into care particularly if he is not bad enough for that.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So we have an uncle who can't look after himself and definitely needs to go into a care home but takes himself to the pub in a taxi and tricks the bar staff into fondling his bits.

An aunt who can't possibly cope with the physical demands of caring for this physically able 6ft plus heavy man but also manages to lift him from sitting entirely on her own against his will.

Then a niece, who doesn't live there and sees them rarely but is given daily phone updates on everything that is happening that she immediately shares on a public moneysaving message board.

Ok then.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    So we have an uncle who can't look after himself and definitely needs to go into a care home but takes himself to the pub in a taxi and tricks the bar staff into fondling his bits.

An aunt who can't possibly cope with the physical demands of caring for this physically able 6ft plus heavy man but also manages to lift him from sitting entirely on her own against his will.

Then a niece, who doesn't live there and sees them rarely but is given daily phone updates on everything that is happening that she immediately shares on a public moneysaving message board.

Ok then.

I must admit I found it a bit unbelievable that some woman in a pub would take him to the toilet in such an intimate fashion. They might help him to get to and from the cubicle but I don't think they would do anything else, especially as a man could do it for him.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bluelass wrote: »
    How?. By pretending he cant toilet himself so he gets some physical contact from another woman, telling a pub landlord he isn't being fed and making my aunt run herself ragged when he was capable all along. And you think he is in the right?. He is a selfish stupid man. And the lady who helped with toileting him must feel ashamed of herself now and wonder if he is some kind of perv, I think I would.

He may be all of those things and more, but nothing that you have just written means he needs to go into a care home.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do you feel the need to get involved or interfere? Leave it to his wife and kids to deal with, it's none of your business...

That being said this story is getting more bizarre each time you post, just like your other stories... I think this is most probably just another character in your troll diaries...
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Unless he has been like this all his life, it may a sign of dementia.

My friend cleans for an elderly couple and hates the weeks that the wife will be out when she goes there because the husband is always trying to touch her and saying things that make her uncomfortable.

He wasn't like this when he was younger - it happens sometimes when the brain starts to go.

Mojisola - as I'm sure you know, if your friend is with an agency, thy have procedures to follow, and training to help your friend deal with these, not uncommon situations.

However, I have known many informal arrangements that began when the couple were working, and has just continued, so your friend may feel a historical obligation. I have known more than one elderly couple whose cleaner, with no training whatsoever, has effectively become their carer, because they prefer someone they know.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Options
    jackyann wrote: »
    Mojisola - as I'm sure you know, if your friend is with an agency, thy have procedures to follow, and training to help your friend deal with these, not uncommon situations.

However, I have known many informal arrangements that began when the couple were working, and has just continued, so your friend may feel a historical obligation. I have known more than one elderly couple whose cleaner, with no training whatsoever, has effectively become their carer, because they prefer someone they know.

No, she's self-employed. She puts up with the 'attention' because she knows it's the illness rather than his nature and she is very fond of the wife.

As you do in these situations, she has learned techniques to keep him at bay and stop things getting too unpleasant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure