I am really struggling with christmas

Options

Comments

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,859 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OP I would be cutting your list in half for this year as other posters have suggested.

I have opted out of work's S Santa.

Just tell them no.

As for the 2 girls at work 2 x £15 each............blimey.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    edited 1 December 2015 at 7:01PM
    Options
    If you get given presents by the parents of the nursery children perhaps you could re-gift some of them to some of the people on your list.

Do you bake? If so then I would recommend making home made biscuits for your and BFs relatives.

Tesco currently have an offer on iTunes gift cards - 3 x £15 cards for £35. Those could be split between 3 different appropriate people on your list, maybe the two girls at work and the one 17 year old cousin?

Also, next year you may want to start putting aside some money every month for Christmas instead of waiting until the last pay day before Christmas, given that you know who you will be buying for and also that Christmas will definitely be coming around again next year on 25 December ...
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I have cut down my list of who I buy for because they all have lots of stuff last year I contributed to Crisis on behalf of my nieces and nephews except for the 2 little ones will do something similar this year.
    I don't really care about presents for myself just like to see my friends and family and share a meal or a drink or two.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mai_taylor wrote: »
    I don't think the issue here is that the op can't afford Christmas presents but that she hasn't forward planned / budgeted for them. No way could I afford to get everyone's present on one months wages that's why I started my Christmas shopping in September. If you only had £150 to spend you should have got everyone's presents with that £150. I would take eveything back, sit down and work out a budget. Look online and get the best deals possible.

I do understand the pressure from work, I have 4 people to buy for who I work with, they all get me a present and there's no way I would not buy for them. If £15 is the budget there's plenty of gifts that were £15 down to half price or more. If you leave it late places like BHS and Debenhams always reduce there gifts by massive amounts.

The problem is that the OP's buying presents for his/her boyfriend's relatives (whether they're liked or not) and for people at work because this is expected. In this situation, prioritising is what's important and not just buying for its own sake or because it's expected. Spreading the cost over the year isn't a solution to this problem.
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    The problem is that the OP's buying presents for his/her boyfriend's relatives (whether they're liked or not) and for people at work because this is expected. In this situation, prioritising is what's important and not just buying for its own sake or because it's expected. Spreading the cost over the year isn't a solution to this problem.

Yes it is. Next year he/she will still have all their own relatives to buy for. And if he/she is still in the same job, then colleagues will still be buying for one another next year. And even if the boyfriend changes, there will still be the new boyfriend's family to be taken into account.

So although the people and/or the number of people may change, Christmas will still be on 25 December, and the OP will still need to buy gifts. So start saving for Christmas earlier instead of trying to do the whole thing with one months salary.
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes it is. Next year he/she will still have all their own relatives to buy for. And if he/she is still in the same job, then colleagues will still be buying for one another next year. And even if the boyfriend changes, there will still be the new boyfriend's family to be taken into account.

So although the people and/or the number of people may change, Christmas will still be on 25 December, and the OP will still need to buy gifts. So start saving for Christmas earlier instead of trying to do the whole thing with one months salary.

I've no problem with people saving throughout the year but there's little point in doing this unless you prioritise who you buy for.

As an example, why on earth would someone be buying presents for the relatives of a boyfriend who (in your example) has been around for less than a year? The boyfriend himself, certainly, but his relatives? Why would you do that?
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I've no problem with people saving throughout the year but there's little point in doing this unless you prioritise who you buy for.

As an example, why on earth would someone be buying presents for the relatives of a boyfriend who (in your example) has been around for less than a year? The boyfriend himself, certainly, but his relatives? Why would you do that?

*waves hand* I did, however we were staying with his family over a longish period, and it was the first time I'd met them - the gifts were from both of us, chosen together and given together (though he did fund the actual purchases). His family bought for me too. However, these days now some have children etc, we just buy for the kids unless we happen to see each other, then there may be a gift, or a bottle of vino / chocs exchanged as gesture, although this year we've even said we're not doing that.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• WannaBLoaded
    Options
    do what i do, don't buy anyone anything.
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    *waves hand* , however we were staying with his family over a longish period, and it was the first time I'd met them - the gifts were from both of us, chosen together and given together (though he did fund the actual purchases). His family bought for me too. However, these days now some have children etc, we just buy for the kids unless we happen to see each other, then there may be a gift, or a bottle of vino / chocs exchanged as gesture, although this year we've even said we're not doing that.

So, you didn't actually buy them presents then?:)
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For a couple of my friends we have a £5 challenge (Christmas & birthdays) You are allowed to buy presents from anywhere- holiday venues, pound shops, charity shops , car boot sales etc. It is good fun as I try to get the most expensive items tailored to the tastes of friends. best buy this year coffee table type book £25 for £1.50!
    I buy my presents through the year- the likes of Poundland or equivalent, The Works and Mr T (out of season)
    Long ago I told other friends that the time had come to stop exchanging presents when I didn't have the money as I was no longer working and I assumed we all had pretty much what we wanted. It took the pressure off everyone.
    I don't send cards anymore- what a waste of postage- did 8 shoeboxes instead for folk who have absolutely nothing.

I think in the main we have forgotten what Christmas is about, even if you are not religious you can appreciate looking after the less well off in society rather than contributing to the all out commercial event that it has become.

IMHO OP needs to bite the bullet and say that she can not afford to buy expensive presents. Lots of ideas have already been given above. Remember "It's the thought that counts." and anyone who is miffed or thinks they have been insulted is really worth crossing off your list! I suspect some folk will be glad not to have to fork out for presents as well.
    Close relatives - yes. Work colleagues- yes but only something modest.

Don't stress yourself and get into debt. It really isn't worth it. Having fun does not need to cost a lot of money.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure