Lastminute.com - Top Secret Hotels REVEALED (London ONLY)

Options

Comments

• maxjax
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Pelican-eats-pigeon. I know theres an abundance of offers, think thats the problem I can't decide! Before finding this site I was taking pot-luck and booking one, which I now know was one of the Shaftesbury hotels really don't fancy it now after reading Tripadvisor. I think a modern hotel in a good location would be great. I know the St Pauls 5* is only £99 on lastminute or £120 with breakfast on the actual site, but I'm not sure if the location is any good. We're going to be doing the normal touristy visits (Dungeon, Tower Bridge, museums etc). Thanks again for your help.
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Options
    moivg wrote: »
    Description: A modern 5-star-hotel set in the heart of theatre land. Enjoy exceptional amenities, great views overlooking London, luxury facilities and special services tailored for your very need...

Thx,

Appears to be the brand new W London, looks from early reviews like they're having a few teething troubles so I would consider waiting for it to settle down.
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Pelican_eats_pigeon Posts: 783 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2011 at 6:33PM
    Options
    maxjax wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Pelican-eats-pigeon. I know theres an abundance of offers, think thats the problem I can't decide! Before finding this site I was taking pot-luck and booking one, which I now know was one of the Shaftesbury hotels really don't fancy it now after reading Tripadvisor. I think a modern hotel in a good location would be great. I know the St Pauls 5* is only £99 on lastminute or £120 with breakfast on the actual site, but I'm not sure if the location is any good. We're going to be doing the normal touristy visits (Dungeon, Tower Bridge, museums etc). Thanks again for your help.

The £99 Grange St Pauls is a pretty good location for Dungeon & Tower Bridge but a bit out of the way for most museums (except for Tate Modern). You also have to bear in mind that it isn't really 5*, more like a good 4*. There's also the Grange City "Superb high quality hotel next to Tower Bridge" for £90, a bit cheaper, in a similar location, but not quite as good (though it also claims to be 5*).

In the same area is the 4* Apex City of London "Sale in the City" at £90.78, an excellent hotel (better than either of the "5-star" Granges).

The Novotel Tower Bridge is very close as well and £93.60, though some people (including me) don't go in for the Novotel style of decor, check some pictures first.

"Amazing deal at cool luxury city centre hotel" at £93.75 is also in the same sort of area as all of the hotels above, and is Crowne Plaza London the City, another very good hotel.

There's the usual Hilton Kensington at £87.50, quite convenient for the South Kensington museum district but not for Tower Bridge or Dungeon.

More centrally, "Luxury and fab hotel near Buckingham Palace", the Crowne Plaza St James, is £98.88. Another very good hotel.

---

Personally I would say Apex is the best, followed by Crowne Plaza the City. The Grange St Pauls, the Crowne Plaza St James and the Novotel aren't too far behind. It's worth checking on travelsupermarket and with the hotel to see if any of them have good deals which include breakfast, while if I were you I would also have a look at some pictures of those I've mentioned to see which is most to your taste!

EDIT: just looked on travelsupermarket and the London Bridge Hotel appears to have some good deals on at under £100 inc breakfast. It's a very good hotel indeed. As they're building the Shard nearby make sure you ask for a room that doesn't face onto the building site if you don't want to be looking up at a half-finished skyscraper.
  • rugbyleague
    Options

Personally I don't rate that hotel at all. I guess if you can't find anything else at a good price it would do but it's not the best.

It's useless trying to get good secret hotels deals for 3 people unfortunately, the good prices are always for 2 person occupancy while third-party websites like lastminute have no way of knowing whether the two-person rooms have space for an extra bed.

Your best strategy is to see which hotels look quite good value for 2 people and then check directly on their website to see how much 3 would cost. As an example I priced up Club Quarters Gracechurch, much better property in a more convenient location for £109, unfortunately this doesn't include breakfast.

Thanks for this! I take a lot of pleasure from reading your posts very informative! I'll keep hunting. The Thistle group seem to do a number of 3 bed rooms for around £100 but will keep on looking.....
  • dunkin
    Options
    Does anybody here recognise:

Outstanding Rates in an Outstanding Location - 4* - London

With its perfect location and stunningly refurbished bedrooms this 4-star Deluxe hotel is a perfect choice for a stay in London. Situated in the heart of the West End, moments from all the major attractions including theatreland, the British Museum and exciting Covent Garden. Also a perfect choice for shoppers with Oxford Street literally on the doorstep. view full hotel description
    Location information
    ■Charing Cross train station
    ■Holborn tube station
    ■Holborn tube station

It is offering a single room for £99 at the end of March.

I am looking for a bargain in the Westminster?Whitehall area.

Thank you.
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Options
    dunkin wrote: »
    Does anybody here recognise:

Outstanding Rates in an Outstanding Location - 4* - London

With its perfect location and stunningly refurbished bedrooms this 4-star Deluxe hotel is a perfect choice for a stay in London. Situated in the heart of the West End, moments from all the major attractions including theatreland, the British Museum and exciting Covent Garden. Also a perfect choice for shoppers with Oxford Street literally on the doorstep. view full hotel description
    Location information
    ■Charing Cross train station
    ■Holborn tube station
    ■Holborn tube station

It is offering a single room for £99 at the end of March.

I am looking for a bargain in the Westminster?Whitehall area.

Thank you.

Looks to be The Kingsley by Thistle. Not really Westminster but better than most Thistles. What dates are you looking?
  • Paula2010
    Options
    Hi can anyone tell me what this is?

Stylish Kensington hotel ideal for museums - 4* - London

Treat yourself to a stay in one of London's most elegant districts, don't be fooled by the architecture on the outside of this hotel, inside it is a modern haven with a couple of great restaurants, bar and a little extra area to relax in which not all hotel's can offer! If you have any energy left after hitting the nearby shops and attractions you can find an onsite fitness centre

thought it might be crowne plaza kensington?
    thks
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Options
    Paula2010 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone tell me what this is?

Stylish Kensington hotel ideal for museums - 4* - London

Treat yourself to a stay in one of London's most elegant districts, don't be fooled by the architecture on the outside of this hotel, inside it is a modern haven with a couple of great restaurants, bar and a little extra area to relax in which not all hotel's can offer! If you have any energy left after hitting the nearby shops and attractions you can find an onsite fitness centre

thought it might be crowne plaza kensington?
    thks

I'm about 95% confident you're right but haven't been able to confirm 100%.
  • dunkin
    Options
    Looks to be The Kingsley by Thistle. Not really Westminster but better than most Thistles. What dates are you looking?

Thanks P-e-P.

I need a room for the night of 29 March.

I see that the Secret Rooms description mentions Holborn and Covent Garden tube stations as being the nearest, but the Kingsley itself refers to Tottenham Court Road.

Dunkin
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Options
    dunkin wrote: »
    Thanks P-e-P.

I need a room for the night of 29 March.

I see that the Secret Rooms description mentions Holborn and Covent Garden tube stations as being the nearest, but the Kingsley itself refers to Tottenham Court Road.

Dunkin

I tend to take the secret rooms descriptions with a fairly big pinch of salt nowadays and rely on other ways of finding out. In any case, Holborn is the closest tube.

I can't see any good deals in the area you're looking for for the 29th, I advise waiting till nearer the time to see what comes up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback