🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Lastminute.com - Top Secret Hotels REVEALED (London ONLY)

Options

Comments

• apmac
    apmac Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Just a wee thank you for this very helpful thread. We didn't go with a top secret deal in the end as DH found the Pestana Chelsea Bridge for £89 on agoda .com. Still an extra £37 for breakfast for 2 but might not have it every day!
    Don't know if agoda was worth the £10 we saved on the same hotel on last minute as DH spent most of the morning on the phone trying to confirm the booking with hotel and website call centre! Didn't get confirmation email, hotel didn't know about booking etc but all sorted now and looking forward to our break!
    Thanks again:T
  • jamrockjay
    jamrockjay Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2011 at 11:27PM
    Options
    Hi all i was wondering if someone could help me..
    I am coming to london for a gig at the roundhouse on 11th march and i am looking for a hotel with a nice room for me and my girlfriend at either a 4star (or 5star if poss with funds we have) £100, we would prefer somewhere quite central as we would like to see as much of the capital as we can during our stay, any help will be appreciated. One other thing when would u suggest i wait to book? Many thanks
  • rakei123
    Options
    Hi, I'm staying in the capital this Wednesday 2nd March. Am looking for a preferably 5 star hotel, would like it to have some 'wow' factor, and needs to be central (soho/convent garden/mayfair preferred). At the moment the one I'm going for is Secret Hotel thats Hilton Park Lane for £164....would you recommend this? It seems that deals for that night are not as good as other nights that week, why would this be? And will the prices come down if I wait till later?

Thanks so much for helping me
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Pelican_eats_pigeon Posts: 783 Forumite
    edited 27 February 2011 at 12:38AM
    Options
    rakei123 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm staying in the capital this Wednesday 2nd March. Am looking for a preferably 5 star hotel, would like it to have some 'wow' factor, and needs to be central (soho/convent garden/mayfair preferred). At the moment the one I'm going for is Secret Hotel thats Hilton Park Lane for £164....would you recommend this? It seems that deals for that night are not as good as other nights that week, why would this be? And will the prices come down if I wait till later?

Thanks so much for helping me

I don't really recommend the Hilton Park Lane at that price. Sure, it's a famous landmark and all, but the rooms are not much better than other Hiltons in London you can get for half the price. I'll do a quick search for you now.

Edit: You're right, it is quite expensive that day. I'm not sure why, there's a medium-size conference on but nothing else I can think of. Wednesdays and Thursdays do tend to be most expensive in my experience. I would say it's worth waiting for Monday to see if any rates come down.

I would recommend "Unwind in Luxury Knightsbridge Hotel" £150, which I believe to be The Cadogan, but I'm only about 95% sure of this so it's up to you if you want to take the risk.

In the 4* range, there is "Intimate and Luxury Boutique Hotel in Hyde Park" £126.99, the Royal Park Hotel. Supposed to be very good.
  • rakei123
    Options
    Thanks so much Pelican!
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Options
    jamrockjay wrote: »
    Hi all i was wondering if someone could help me..
    I am coming to london for a gig at the roundhouse on 11th march and i am looking for a hotel with a nice room for me and my girlfriend at either a 4star (or 5star if poss with funds we have) £100, we would prefer somewhere quite central as we would like to see as much of the capital as we can during our stay, any help will be appreciated. One other thing when would u suggest i wait to book? Many thanks

There are 3 secret hotels that are listed as 5* within your budget right now. Unfortunately none of them are truly 5* in my opinion, but two of them are acceptable as long as you view them as 4*.

"Superb high quality hotel next to Tower Bridge" £90 - Grange City Hotel
    "Amazing City hotel with luxury spa &pool,book now!" £100 - Grange St Pauls

These are in the financial district rather than a main tourist area, but they are handy for attractions such as St Pauls, Tate Modern, Tower of London.

The other 5* listed is "Superb hotel near Covent Garden with spa & pool". It's the Grange Holborn and in my opinion is rubbish, recommend you steer clear.

When it comes to 4* there is a much bigger choice:
    Trendy high quality hotel, amazing location £75 - Mercure London City Bankside. Slightly basic but good value
    Amazing deal at Cool Luxury City Centre Hotel £93.75 - Crowne Plaza London the City. Great hotel, but in the financial district.
    Contemporary hotel at the new business district £98.75 - Hilton London Canary Wharf. Excellent hotel (one of the best London Hiltons) but a bit out of the way in Docklands.
    Modern, stylish hotel in trendy Camden Town £99 - Holiday Inn Camden Lock. Not a hotel I would usually recommend but I guess it's perfectly acceptable and would be very convenient indeed for the Roundhouse (5 mins walk). It's very easy to get into the centre from Camden.

I reckon some new hotels might appear in your budget if you wait a bit, hotels look very lightly booked for that date. If you wait till the Monday before your stay, you will probably have more deals to choose from.

If you go for the Holiday Inn, it's worth checking to see if you can get an even cheaper rate through this thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1535105. Remember rates on the IHG website exclude VAT.
  • wendysn
    Options
    Hello all,

I am looking or a hotel for March 18th and 19th in London for my husband and I. I only want to pay around £100 pn, and want somewhere really nice. A) Do you think this is do-able? and B) should I leave it until nearer the time ?

Any help would be really appreciated.
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Options
    wendysn wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am looking or a hotel for March 18th and 19th in London for my husband and I. I only want to pay around £100 pn, and want somewhere really nice. A) Do you think this is do-able? and B) should I leave it until nearer the time ?

Any help would be really appreciated.

a) Depends how nice you mean by "really nice". Can you clarify this?
    b) Probably. There are a couple of concerts that night that might draw quite a few people but prices look like they have plenty of scope to come down.
  • rugbyleague
    Options
    Three of us visiting London 12th of March to take my 16 year old (will be 17 then) to a careers exhibition The Big Bang at the Excel centre.

Need a nice hotel that sleeps 3 please.

Have found The Britannia International for £112 B&B, its in Docklands.

Arriving by train into Euston.

After the exhibition would like to do something in London Wagamamas is always a favourite! and intend to go to the Tate Gallery aswell.

A penny for your thoughts?

Many thanks

Ian
  • wendysn
    Options
    Hello Pelica

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I was thinking 4 or 5 star. Do you think I should book now because of the concerts?

W
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport