[THREAD CLOSED - SEE PART 2] Anything & Everything New York

Options

Comments

• LeedsBurlesque
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    My itinerary was quite short because we were only there for a few days, and it wasn't terribly well organised, more 'this sounds like a good idea'. But I did give a few tips back in August!

Thanks Sue, found a few on the search. I have started reading the thread again to get myself all excited again!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Sue, found a few on the search. I have started reading the thread again to get myself all excited again!
    Copy and paste the bits you want to refer to again into a separate document - or the links to the individual threads! Saves a huge amount of time!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • LouBlue
    LouBlue Posts: 53,538 Forumite
    Options
    On searching it seems it was LouBlue that did one, for some reason I had it down that you had too? I shall continue searching!

I did do one, shall try and find it, though you might have found one already. :D
    A cloudy day is no match for a sunny disposition
    ~ William Arthur Ward ~
  • LouBlue
    Options
    Central Park

Rockerfeller Centre

Times Square

Chrysler Building
    MET
    Macys
    Fifth Avenue - loads of shops
    42nd Street

Do try and make sure you have an amble around the following 4 districts, if you want a feel of 'real' New York and its less touristy.

Greenwich Village - want to live here!!!!
    Little Italy
    China Town
    Soho

Wall Street
    World Trade Centre
    Statue of Liberty

For Broadway shows, there is a TKTS Booth at South Street, Seaport, near Battery Park, near the Staten Island Ferry, less queues than the tickets booth at Times Square. Get the Staten Island Ferry (free), it goes past Statue of Liberty and back again, so you can take all your pics.

View is better from the top of the Rockerfeller rather than the Empire State Building, its less busy and you get to see the Empire State Building too!
    ~ William Arthur Ward ~
  • LeedsBurlesque
    Options
    Thanks Lou! I actually found it, went to copy and paste it into my New York info and it was already there so must of done it when I first started on the thread, god im a geek! I still want to read the other posts though!
    Spoke to a friend of mine who has just come back from there and she has given me some good tips on vintage shops and other hidden gems, I think im going with an empty suitcase!

Joe Sundlies (vintage)
    40 West 25th Street

Patricia Fields
    302 Bowery

Accessories Palace (for every item of jewellery you can imagine!)
    1250 Broadway

Halloween Adventure (for turkey feather boa's under $30, props and costume ideas)
    808 Broadway

and my NYC secret for tea and cakes of dreams!
    Bruno Bakery
    245 Bleeker Street

obviously Rickys for make up and glitter, bath & bodyworks for shower gel and body lotion, sephora for make up and everything girly!
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Girly alert..

ok, last time i went to NYC, i went with my sister.. (never again), however ladies, you need not take any make up with you on holiday, as you just use sephora, and wander in at any given point of the day, (and there are plenty around manhattan), and do your make up with their testers, (honestly, i saw people doing this) and then leave!

OK, back to being a bloke now!

grrr!
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Right... my plan for my 11th trip to NYC is do a proper photography holiday. I have a proper SLR camera, so can take some really good photos, but I'm wondering if there is anything organised especially for us photography geeks?

if not, i'll just do what i did last time, and wander around aimlessly...

M
  • brandyslad
    Options
    Hi,

We are just back from NYC and had the most fantastic time. Thought I would put some info on here as I found this thread useful before I went.

We travelled British Airways and got a free upgrade on the way out, it was heaven, they were looking for people to go on a later flight and were going to give us both £270 each if we would do it, we said yes, it was only going to be 2 hours later, turns out they didn't need us to do it but they upgraded us to Club Class for waiting!

We stayed in the East Village Bed and Coffee, it was $120 a night, it is great, very homely and in a great area, a real NYC neighbourhood, near plenty of great restaurants and bars.

There was a great Puerto Rican place beside us - Maria's Cafe on Avenue C and we could get a chicken empanada, bacon, egg roll and two coffees for $5 dollars to take out for breakfast. The Clinton Street Bakery is also nearby, their pancakes are fantastic - banana and walnut with warm maple butter - $12 but a portion would serve two - go early, there are big queues. Sugar Sweet Sunshine on Rivington Street is great for cupcakes and is actually ran by two people who worked in Magnolia Bakery. Ninth Street expresso on East 9th Street and in Chelsea Market was recommended by the New Yorkers for coffee and it is very good.

We took a taxi in as my OH wanted to see the skyline, this was the last time we used a taxi though we got the $25 seven day fun card and whizzed about everywhere, the subway was great and we never felt uncomfortable, in fact a lady stopped to help me with my case on our way back out to JFK going home via the J train and Airtrain. It was $7 each compared to $55 for the taxi including toll and tip.

We had a Big Apple Greeter the 1st day, highly recommend it, she walked us round Greenwich Village, took us to Chelsea Market and they give you a free $4 subway card.

We took the Roosevelt Island Tram, it takes you up across the river to Roosevelt Island, what a great view and only the cost of a subway fare.

The Staten Island Ferry is good, got some great photos.

The queues outside Abercrombie and Fitch on 5th avenue were crazy, there is another one at 199 Water Street, down at South Street Seaport, you will get in there no bother if you want to get anything.

FAO Schwarz is cool although we were unable to recreate a Tom Hanks moment on the piano cos of all the kids banging about on it!

Times Square is ok for a quick wander about, the M and Ms store is bizarre, 3 floors of the stuff, but expensive. I would not want to stay in this area though, they plague you trying to sell things and take tours. Plus it is so busy. All flashing lights and noisy tourists.

Chinatown is also very busy but the cheapest place if you want souvenirs, mugs that were $10 in midtown were $3 there and I had a lovely take out lunch for $3.25.

If you have Irish roots go to the Irish Hunger Memorial on 290 Vesey Street, there are stones brough over from each of the 32 counties, and a cottage from Mayo, it is very strange seeing it right in the middle of the financial district.

Atlantic Terminal out in Brooklyn is good to go to if it rains, there is a cheap sports store if you want football or baseball shirts and a big Target which is very cheap for kids presents e.g lots of nice Strawberry Shortcake gifts for a dollar.

I used Hopstop.com for the Subway, it never let us down and we had our money in a Nationwide account so no charges.

If you are going soon, I am sooo jealous you will have a fantastic time! Some places are expensive but if you plan ahead you will be fine, we didn't do any major shopping. Some stuff is not that much cheaper than here but there are the odd bargains to be had, I got a pair of Emus in Union Square for $35. Shoe Mania is very cheap, crap service but presevere if you really want the shoes!! I also got a lovely Guess handbag for $36.

Century 21 is a real shoving match and there is a lot of rubbish too. If you want to go, 1st thing in the morning would be best, they do have some nice stuff but I hate wasting time searching, I would rather do without!

Sorry this is so long and sorry for any repeats!! It was the best holiday we have ever had ... love NYC!
  • LeedsBurlesque
    Options
    markymoo wrote: »
    Right... my plan for my 11th trip to NYC is do a proper photography holiday. I have a proper SLR camera, so can take some really good photos, but I'm wondering if there is anything organised especially for us photography geeks?

if not, i'll just do what i did last time, and wander around aimlessly...

M
    My other half does a lot of photography and is looking to do some stuff over there, when we get back ill pm you a link to his flickr account and that might give you an idea of where to get some good shots. Although in New York ill doubt you'll have trouble finding stuff to take pics of! x
  • LouBlue
    Options
    Spoke to a friend of mine who has just come back from there and she has given me some good tips on vintage shops and other hidden gems, I think im going with an empty suitcase!

Joe Sundlies (vintage)
    40 West 25th Street

Patricia Fields
    302 Bowery

Accessories Palace (for every item of jewellery you can imagine!)
    1250 Broadway

Thats good. No shopping tips on my posts...I don't go to NY to shop....I don't want to waste a minute of my time in a shop when I can be mooching around Manhatten. :D
    ~ William Arthur Ward ~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family