[THREAD CLOSED - SEE PART 2] Anything & Everything New York

Options

Comments

• becky_rtw
    becky_rtw Posts: 8,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Mark - I'm having serious dumb issues today :D

I've also managed to lose my pre-approval number for visa wavier form the department of homeland security website - ooopppps - thankfully its not compulsory till 12th Jan so I hope they wont mind and will just do my wavier as usual :(

Its pretty cold but I'm looking forward to it - have you been to the Cloisters part of the MET?? It seems an awful long way to go (I'm staying in UES 80s) but its supposed to be amazing...
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you should be able to retrieve it from the website, i need to get my flight booked and the first thing i'm gonna do is go on that website and get mine sorted..

hmm.. hotel is booked, but no flight... i must be mad!

M
  • becky_rtw
    Options
    I tried that but it kept asking me for the number in order to retrive the status - well I know it was accepted anyway - so I guess they'll have on their files - just not sure if I'll need the confirmation number at the airport...

Can you get a cheap BA flight in the sale??
  • M4RKM
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i fly from Manchester, and would prefer a direct flight.. Delta have some at around £280 at the moment, but i'm stubborn, and want something around the £250 mark..... i could fly AA and change at Chicago, but i get in too late.

the other viable option at the moment, is an early flight to AMS, and then get a flight to Newark there. but, as i'm now staying midtown east, it is a shorter journey in the taxi from JFK/LGA, than it is from EWR..

i promise you there is method behind all this madness..

M
  • becky_rtw
    Options
    Well surprisingly for me I'm miles from any airport (even LCA is an hour on the DLR), the cloest probably is Gatwick since the train goes from Victoria, but I've managed a £16 taxi to heathrow on New Years Eve which I dont think is bad going at all! Its sooo complicated all the best places for flights - in the end I just went for the cheapest I could find at the time (hence why I'm flying on New years Day!) :D

Midtown East...so thats very central then! I'm getting subway number A and then changing to 4 I think - but I'm being met so no worries there :D - I cant believe how cheap a 7 day metro card is!!!
  • M4RKM
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yeah... $25 for a subway card for 7 days... so much cheaper than London!!

and just a hint, it is A Train, then the 4 Train, not a subway number A, etc... erm.. NYCers are quite particular on what they call their subways, quite anal actually, and also, never ever use the colour, as that'll just confuse matters even more!!!

have a good one!

M
  • becky_rtw
    Options
    Thanks Mark!

Hopefully American friend will help me get that right :D We dont call them by the colour here either so it makes sense to me...I shudder when I hear tourists use 'the blue line' - yeah there are two, hope you dont get the wrong one (mwhahaha)...

Ooo looks like snow's possible on Friday too - excellent :D
  • M4RKM
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    layers... layers, and layers... if you're going anywhere, that involves walking, the cold in NYC is really bitterly cold, the wind just bites you! but, when you get inside anywhere, things are heating, and you'll want to take something off.. so layer accordingly..

big department stores like bloomies and macys have a coat check normally as well, so you can check in your coat, and shop in comfort!

M
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    markymoo wrote: »
    webcams in times square

TGI Fridays - http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/index.php?cam=fridays

that is probably the best one for getting wave... probably have to be on the phone at the same time, but it is doable..

M

this is one of the worlds top web cams and if you arrange a meet (dont forget the time difference to where you are ) We had our sons 17th partay on this web-cam and had about 100+ in times square singing happy birthday where he had to blow out a big cake from Macys we had at least 100+ watching back in blighty at 8pm (3pm NYC time)

Dont think that would work ATM and there is 9 hours till the ball drops :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: my god..:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • curly_B
    curly_B Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    I know I have been watching the web cams live today, My daughter got there about 3ish I think to wait, the event list looks so good ...we thought it was just lots of people there and the ball, confetti etc......One of the things they have as freebies is coke to keep people warm lol!!!:rotfl:

Linonel is singing and the Jonas brothers...oh I wish I was there!!!!
    :rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport