We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

[THREAD CLOSED - SEE PART 2] Anything & Everything New York

Options

Comments

• destresserai
    Options
    Oh gosh there is no way on this earth I would let him go on his own!! He's going with his college so shoud be under a watchful eye (not that he's not good - he's an angel !). I suggested the money belt to him but I know he's really not comfortable with the idea of having so much cash on him. Only there for five days.

thanks so much for all your help everyone :)

Not sure how long it would take to organise one but have you thought of a pre-payment card. Loads of companies offer them. They are basically a chip & Pin card that you pre-load with cash at places such as the post office, pay point etc. There is usually a charge for the card initially not sure how much but about £10.00 and then you get a small fee for loading up i.e. 75p. The card can be issued in your son's name and he can use as he wants.

I do not recommend any but this link may give you more info about them:-

http://www.prepaymentcard.co.uk/
    :j Member Number 18 of the "100 free films in London in 2010" club:hello:
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    umm.... I'M BACK!

ok... truthfully, things have changed and i AM going on Holiday to New York on March 5th....

so... i might as well come back here, and criticize people... no.. i mean help.. really i mean help..

anyone else gonna be in NYC on the 7th March... i could do with someone to buy me a pint for my birthday!!! :D

Marky
  • bamblolo
    bamblolo Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    First of all Markymoo i wish i was gonna be in New York for 7th march as i would defo of bought you a celebratory drink for all you do on here,but am afraid i am going to New York tomorrow for New Year. I would like to ask a question if anyone out ther can help please I do not have a debit/credit card so will have to take cash with me am i better to exchange at the airport before i go or wait till i get to the states? Also i see Travelex have a card called a cash passport am i better to get one of these and can i purchase things in all the big stores Macys/Bloomingdales with one of these. I appreciate any help anyone can give sorr its last minute. I havnt even packed my case yet!!
  • M4RKM
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    waaaaa.... change your cash anywhere but the airport.. the rate is awful most probably...

get onto https://www.no1currency.com and see if you have a cheque centre near you.. and get there as soon as it opens tomorrow, if you can before you get your flight..

packing case can wait til the last minute.. mine always does... i'm a stickler for taking cash, as it means i budget better...

if you go into a bank in manhattan you'll get a better exchange rate than if you exchanged everything at the airport at a guess.. just make sure you have enough to get from the airport to the hotel...

and have a great new year in NYC.. don't stand in times square, go to a bar and watch it from there.. at least you'll be able to a) have a drink, and b) go to the loo...

M
  • bamblolo
    bamblolo Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks very much Markymoo wont make it to currency place before we go but thanks for all your help. Getting excited now!!
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    markymoo wrote: »
    anyone else gonna be in NYC on the 7th March... i could do with someone to buy me a pint for my birthday!!! :D

Marky

I'll be there... (provided you have a suitcase I can fit inside) and I'll gladly buy you a birthday pint in return :D
  • M4RKM
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Crabman wrote: »
    I'll be there... (provided you have a suitcase I can fit inside) and I'll gladly buy you a birthday pint in return :D

haha..... you know how to make me laugh...

erm.... i don't think i can fit you in my suitcase... i need clothes to wear, and in march it is normally a little bit cool..

M
  • sodamnfunky
    sodamnfunky Posts: 12,303 Forumite
    Options
    Ill be there just before you go, by about 2 weeks, so I will put one in for ya.

Im now beginning to think about spending money, and how much to take. Will probably change £400 before we go, and then use the debit cards. How much do you all think we will need for 6 days for 2 of us, for our 1st visit? Will have to pay for the cab from and to JFK. I was thinking around a grand in sterling, but someone said probably £600.
  • M4RKM
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ill be there just before you go, by about 2 weeks, so I will put one in for ya.

Im now beginning to think about spending money, and how much to take. Will probably change £400 before we go, and then use the debit cards. How much do you all think we will need for 6 days for 2 of us, for our 1st visit? Will have to pay for the cab from and to JFK. I was thinking around a grand in sterling, but someone said probably £600.

ok... i love new york, and new york's nightlife.. i go for a holiday to have nice food, and enjoy my evenings, and sightsee for cheap, and take photos during the day.

so breakfast, $5
    lunch $10
    drinks during the day $10

so, so far during my day, i've spend $25..

now here comes the big bit.. i budget around $50 for an evening meal at least 3 times during my stay, and at least $100 for beers in the evening (now, the beers include taxis, and the all important late night snack!)

so, it all depends on what you're going to be doing in the evening to as what I'd personally recommend you take.

Now, i'm going for 5 nights in March, so i'm aiming to take about $1200 with me. I don't need to buy anything like cameras or clothes this time, it is soley a relaxing city break for me, so i should easily be able to survive on $200ish a day, so.. all this babble to explain that 1 person, for 5 nights, is taking about £800.

but it is my only holiday each year!
  • sodamnfunky
    sodamnfunky Posts: 12,303 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Markymoo.

I budgeted around $10 for breakfast for both of us, the another $30-40 for drinks and food during the day.
    Evening meals I thought $60 for the 2 of us.

We dont drink, so there will be no beer or wine. As for shopping, we are mainly going for the sights and the whole NY experience, but I would like to buy my wife something from Tiffanys whilst we are there, but that would just be if we have any money from our budget.

I think it will be around £1000-1200 for the time we are there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport