We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
"Treats" we can't enjoy anymore
Comments
-
Curry_Queen wrote:
Until relatively recently I had a Diet Coke addiction and could get through 4-6 litres of it a day!!! :eek:
HOW MUCH?
Luckily I have never really liked the diet versions anyway. We only get Diet Coke for MIL at Xmas and the only time I drink fizzy stuff is as a mixer, and then only rarely. I must admitted, I do vaguely remember something about fizzy drinks and calcium absorption from those dim and distant days, but can't remember exactly what.
I feel a need to google.......
Edit - just googled on 'calcium absorption and carbonated drinks' and TBH, you get both 'yes' and 'no' answers. Take your pick
You can't undo what you did all those years ago, so best just be as healthy as you can now.:) 0 -

oh dear. I'm not so sure us young'uns do fit into oldstyle lifestyle that well after all...
wednesday afternoon/evening, as a treat* enjoyed rather too much :beer: and Domino's pizza, woke up thursday feeling a bit bloated. Had a big bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes and I felt fine again
* we were celebrating the completion of a massive project we've been working on all year
Well at least the beer was all natural and additive free
student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...0 -
LOL
So... how's it really going over there in Student Land?
Many converts yet?
I missed all sorts of things when I was a student and never quite enjoyed them the same when I finally started earning a wage packet and could indulge myself. I don't think I've had a wagon wheel for years and years...Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
0 -
I think my problem as a student was that I was overindulged. I didn't have to work, my parents payed all my fees, my rent, my bills AND gave me an allowance. :eek: No wonder I am poorer now than I was as a student!!!!
I am going tog et a shock when I go back in Sept as I am paying for everything, which now includes a mortgage and horrendous fees. I think i need to lie dow. All of a sudden going back to uni doesn't seem such a good idea...........
I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this responser.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
0 -
So what treats do you think you might miss under this new regime? More than you already miss, that is?Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
0 -
On of the treats I miss is buying 'nice stuff'. I used to go to Tesco or Asda at least once a week and the odd CD, top, etc. used to fall in the trolley. Now I walk straight past the music and clothes bits armed with a list, heading straight for the food on my list, sniffing the smell of bread they pipe through and thinking 'Grrrr, supermakets, you're not going to make me buy anything I don't need (unless it's got a whoops sticker and can be incorporated into my meal plan
). It's makes me so mad I just can't buy anything they try to force me to (unless it's on my list). When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
0 -
Well, everything will be tight. But,
1. My 10 million a night G&T 'habit' from my original student days will NOT be repeated!
2. I DO NOT need a new dress for every social occasion (has anyone else discovered dress agencies. They are great)
3. I have since learned how to entertain myself without requiring to spend money, which I couldn't do before.
4. I will actually do some studying this time - rather radical for a student I know!!!
Other than that, life will continue as it does at the moment. I was very young as a student last time around, so I think that had a baring on my financial habits. I truly understand the value of money now and have adjusted things accordingly. So, fingers crossed, not too many changes to make.
I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this responser.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
0 -
The main treat I miss is a nicely soft boiled egg with toast soldiers in the morning. I love eggs but found that every now and then it would give me stomach ache and diarrhoea, so now I have to stick to a hard boiled egg. Just not the same as dipping soldiers in that yummy yolk!
I also just can't abide chips from a fish and chip shop. Mostly they seem to be so greasy and yucky and even if they are nice I can find I feel a bit stomach achey after. I tend to stick to my own home made or oven chips.
I also think that most ready meals taste awful and you are usually still hungry after eating one too. I used to buy Morrisons medium hot Chilli sauce in a can which you just add to mince and onion. I always thought it was really delicious but I found it left an after taste. So I decided to make it myself. It is no more time consuming at all! You still fry the onion and add the mince, but instead of adding a tin of chilli you add beef stock, tinned tomatoes and various herbs. It is much more tasty and you can make it as hot or mild as you like (I can also omit the beans!!!). I make a large quantity of it and freeze it in what I consider real ready meal sized portions! Yum!
I have a pasta sauce that I do the same too. I much prefer getting my own ready-meals out of the freezer to a bought one!0 -
r.mac wrote:I still let myself go shopping, and I buy things, but no longer shop 'wastefully' adn think about what I need. So if i feel down and want to use retail therapy, I do, but I save up little things I actually need, that I ahve budgetted for for these occasions! It's amazing the buzz buying veg from your local greengrocer can achieve!!!!
I get bored very quickly with clothes shopping and if Im in a clothes shop too long I just have to leave because these places get on my nerves (must be the only female like this!)
However, I love electrical goods, dvds and supermarket shopping. Something I find a real treat is to go along to a supermarket I don't usually shop at (sometimes an upmarket one and sometimes a cheaper one) just to look at the different goods and brands on offer. I just love doing this! Even if I just come away with a jar of coffee I have a great time browsing round!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards