We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

"Treats" we can't enjoy anymore

12357…10

Comments

  • ET03
    ET03 Posts: 264 Forumite
    VickyA wrote:
    I'm ashamed to say that I don't own a breadmaker. Please don't thrown me out of the fraternity (hangs head in shame). There's just no room in my kitchen - the slow cooker gets stored in the dining room! Oh to have a house that I own and I can put more cupboard in......................

    I'd only eat everything that I made in the breadmaker in 5 mins anyway. I'm supposed to be getting married next year, wouldn't want my dad to roll me up to the altar because of all the lovely things I'd baked and eaten! :D

    PS Do I get points for owning a slow cooker? Please?

    but a bread maker isn't exactly Oldstyle anyway so don't worry,
    making it yourself would be oldstyleicon7.gif
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Something else I noticed recently that tasted very salty was baked beans!!!!

    I've always used Heinz beans, as nothing else compares to the taste, although since finding MSE I have been persuaded to use value beans if I'm adding them to a dish, and I do enjoy beans on toast for lunch but after eating them last week I was left feeling very thirsty with a horrible claggy feeling in my mouth :(

    Can anyone recommend a "tasty" low salt/sugar alternative? I believe Tesco do a HL version but have never tried them, or is this the end for the poor old baked bean <sob> :(
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

  • Mrs_Thrift
    Mrs_Thrift Posts: 387 Forumite
    How much salt and sugar is in the Heinz ones for comparison?

    I seem to remember in the mists of time comparing beans in Asda, but I can't remember what came out the best, so that's not much use, sorry! :o We don't use them often and are on a very tight budget at the moment so are using Asda Smart Price ones when we have them.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Curry Queen
    I have the Tesco Healthy Living baked beans, low sugar & salt & I think they taste really nice (I am very sensitve to salt as I grew up without it in my diet). They are 88p for a 4 pack so very ecnomical too;) .

    Vicky A
    What about putting a bread maker on your wedding list next year? And one of those free-standing wheely kitchen trolly table things to keep it on?:p

    Chipps
    I am sllightly embarrassed to admit that I have never made a pizza from scratch:o I always buy Tescos cheese & tomato (3 for £2.50) and add my own toppings. I like having the convenience of having something I can whip out of the freezer & have done in 20 minutes without any effort at all. I'm sure I could make my own & freeze ready for use but to be honest I don't want too, it's nice knowing I have a cheap ready made fall-back on hand. I compromise on garlic bread too, I buy ciabatta when it is reduced, slice & add my own garlic-herb butter & freeze, I just pull one of these out with the pizza & defrost/heat through in the oven at the same time. In total probably costs me £1.75 for a convenient meal for 2, which I can live with:D
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

    In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper
    As I'm still missing stuff, ask me again in a month. :)
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    You don't have to give everything up. It's a whole lot easier and considerably less painful, if you ease into these life style changes one at a time. Honest :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Mrs_Thrift
    Mrs_Thrift Posts: 387 Forumite
    I'm with squeaky on this, it shouldn't be painful! I find that the more little changes we make, the more we want to make, so it becomes a very natural progress if you start off gently.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Mrs_Thrift wrote:
    How much salt and sugar is in the Heinz ones for comparison?

    Good idea :T should have thought of that before :doh:

    Ok, got a tin of Heinz and a Tesco Value for comparison (never tried eating Value on their own though) ...

    Heinz: (per 100g)
    Protein 4.6g
    Carbs 12.9g (sugars 4.8g)
    Fat 0.2g (sats Trace)
    Fibre 3.7g
    Salt 0.9g

    Tesco Value: (100g)
    Protein 4.5g
    Carbs 16.6g (sugars 5.5g)
    Fat 0.3g (sats 0.1g)
    Fibre 3.5g
    Salt 1.3g

    Edit: Sodium is not the same as salt and the values listed as sodium make it appear artificially lower!!!!

    Lillibet wrote:
    Curry Queen
    I have the Tesco Healthy Living baked beans, low sugar & salt & I think they taste really nice (I am very sensitve to salt as I grew up without it in my diet). They are 88p for a 4 pack so very ecnomical too;) .

    Oooo that's much cheaper if they're as tasty :) You don't happen to have a can to add to the comparison please? ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Oooo that's much cheaper if they're as tasty :) You don't happen to have a can to add to the comparison please? ;)

    Don't keep baked beans at work I'm afraid:p Speaking of which........I haven't done any for about 3 days, I really must get off of this site!!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

    In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper
    Thanks Squeaks and Mrs T.

    I've not had to give everything up because I'm a boring ol' fart and don't drink or smoke or anything like that. But I am missing my takeaways - although it's not the takeaway itself, it's the not-having-to-cook-it-myself I'm missing. I'm a bookaholic and have had to curb my spending there, which I'm only managing because I have a whole library of unread books. So I'm getting around to those now, too.

    So I'm cheerfully missing things at the moment. :D
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.