We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

"Treats" we can't enjoy anymore

13567…10

Comments

  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    squeaky wrote:
    It's about time you old hands caught on to the trick of adding a bit that is obviously on topic at the tag end of your posts...

    ..that'd help keep the youngsters in line too! :p;):)


    You saying I'm old!!! :eek: ... tsk tsk :p


    And ermmm, what was the topic again :think: ... oh yes ... treats ... or lack of ;)



    I don't enjoy shop bought bread anymore since making my own (is that ok?) :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

  • loopy_lass
    loopy_lass Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    mmm i agree, i cant eat all that fancy sugary stuff now its yuck yuck pigs muck.... i also a lot of shop bought stuff very salty... off to eat me home grown home made rhubarb crumble now...

    tarrra...

    loops
    THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN... :A
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I used to really enjoy Cadbury's cream eggs, but I find that not only have they shrunk, but the creme inside is often a bit 'gritty'. Or is that just me?


    ... and how do you eat yours :D


    I think all sweets and chocolate bars have shrunk, or is it just that we've got bigger :confused:

    I'm not a big choccy fan as it 'appens ... just once a month I like a nibble ;) ... but it's usually Green & Blacks as that's not too sweet.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    LOL

    Much better thanks. :)

    Lots of our threads turn out to be quite chatty rather than loaded to the brim with information, and that's OK... no problem at all... but every now and then they really ought to wander right back on to what the topic actually is. He sez. :)

    Thinking on... I haven't had any shop bought bread for ages. I wonder if I'd still like it if I bought some as a treat?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    If for some reason I had to go buy bread it would have to be fresh from the bakers, don't think I could ever go back to pre-sliced in plastic bags again, although I might make an exception for Warburtons in waxed paper ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Cheesecake! It's ages since I've had a really, really good baked cheesecake...all solid and 'claggy'*. They all seem to be airy fairy and fluffy these days...no substance!





    * technical term


    (don't all shout 'make yer own!)
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Eliza252 wrote:
    Shop bought puddings, they taste artificial, they're expensive and the packaging! dont get me started - there is nothing better than home cooked bread and butter pudding when your in need of comfort food!

    :j Luv it and bread and pudding.
    Can't eat those frozen ready things anymore, never did like them and every time I bought one swore I wouldn't again til the next time I was in a rush and got tempted. Now I have forbidden myself to ever buy them, waste of good money.
    The other thing is it cost me £3 for a few bits of watered processed to glory cooked ham today little ones wanted it and THEN so no time to cook. I would much rather buy a gammon or bacon joint and cook it myself, better, cheaper and value for money.
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    needmoney wrote:
    I would much rather buy a gammon or bacon joint and cook it myself, better, cheaper and value for money.

    I cooked a gammon joint yesterday and I've had some cold today with salad and it was lovely! ... and I tell you what, I'm never going to buy packaged ham again and will stick to buying joints and slicing them cold for salads/sandwiches in future! :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    There are many deserts I could do without and I've never bought a readymade bread and butter pudding or a sponge pudding either but............

    If I had to go the rest of my life without a Sara Lee Double Chocolate Gateaux I would rather die :D
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

    F U Fund currently at £250
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    We treated ourselves to fish and chips the other night, the batter was soggy and the chips were undercooked......won't be doing that again, much prefer some HM wedges and tuna fishcakes.

    Another treat we used to enjoy was a saturday night frozen pizza and garlic bread....blughhhh...once you've made your own you just can't go back!! I made up some garlic olive oil about a month ago - its been festering in the larder and gets sprinkled on to a rolled out bit of dough, handful of herbs and cheese on the top and its deeeeeeeeelish!! I get some sliced pepperoni from the deli counter (normally about 30p's worth for 2 large pizzas) and we use what ever toppings come to hand - mouths watering at the thought!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.