We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
"Treats" we can't enjoy anymore
Comments
-
Lillibet wrote:I once heard a story about a house bound reader who used to send her family off to the libiary once a week with instructions to bring back a "nice dirty book"!
I LOVE that!Lillibet wrote:However, the illegal downloading of music relates to illegal copying of the music not re-selling,
Yes, but there are now legal MP sites that are backed by the likes of Metallica, because they're passing the royalties on. I would always go there first - if I were a musicjunkie and not a bookaholic, that is.Lillibet wrote:Afraid if it's a choice between affording second hand or going without instead of new I would still default to second hand, surely an authors work is better read for no profit than not read at all if it comes down to a hard choice?
That's where the conscience thing comes in. I'm very torn. Can't afford to buy new books, don't want to buy secondhand/illegal books. So I'll just wait until I can afford to buy new again, or use a library!
And I hope Squeaky slaps me too!
spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets0 -
Ticklemouse wrote:We were never really allowed fizzy drinks as kids, but I did used to like American Cream Soda and Dandelion & Burdoch - trouble is, I know what's in them now, so whilst I still like the taste, I won't drink them.
I do believe I've found one ... thanks Ticklemouse.
I couldn't go through a meal without a fizzy drink, but when I was younger, I always used to make do with tap water. I cut out the fizzy drinks a while back, because of how bad they are for the teeth, but I started to get flavoured water instead. Since joining MSE, the flavoured water has been replaced with cordial, and it's much, much nicer. The flavoured water tastes manufactured.
I still have fizzy drinks as an occasional treat, usually when I'm craving for something very sweet. But they do make me thirsty afterwards.spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets0 -
Never thought of donating my books to the local library, will definately look into this one. Thanks Spendaholic! I was also brought up believing it was a sin not to treat books 'respectfully!' Doing my English exams in my last year at school. The teacher wanted us to write in the margins of our shakespere text. I was so apaulled that I had a stand-up row with her!!!!!
Regarding treats, I am not sure that I have actually given up any! However, I have them less often and appreciate them a million times more now.
Food, for example. I am eating just as well and the same meals as I was before, but because I now know how to get the best for my money, and where to buy items for less I am saving money.
On the take away front I still have and enjoy them, but not as often. Partly because I am asking myself 'is there really no food in the house, or is it just my imagination?', 'why to i deserve a take away (i.e. no cooking and extortionate price!)?' and often its easier and quicker to pull out the frozen chilli from last month!!!
I still let myself go shopping, and I buy things, but no longer shop 'wastefully' adn think about what I need. So if i feel down and want to use retail therapy, I do, but I save up little things I actually need, that I ahve budgetted for for these occasions! It's amazing the buzz buying veg from your local greengrocer can achieve!!!!
Thansk for all your tips. I now live for this site!
r.mac
I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this responser.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
0 -
r.mac wrote:I still let myself go shopping, and I buy things, but no longer shop 'wastefully' adn think about what I need. So if i feel down and want to use retail therapy, I do, but I save up little things I actually need, that I ahve budgetted for for these occasions! It's amazing the buzz buying veg from your local greengrocer can achieve!!!!
Thansk for all your tips. I now live for this site!
r.mac
Oh, I love this idea, thank you so much! I do like that buzz spending gives me, so if I can get it only from things I need, I will be over the moon! I already get it at the supermarket or wherever as I'm spending less than I used to and love that I'm buying better food for better meals. But I could keep a list of wee bits and pieces I need like toiletries for those "I wanna spend money!" moments!
0 -
I've always found fizzy drinks too sweet, but I do like the diet versions, especially Diet Coke. That's before I found out that these are bad for the bones - they sap calcium reserves - and with my enormous family history of osteoporosis (EVERY post-menopausal female on my mother's side has it) I very rarely drink Diet Coke any more.spendaholic wrote:I do believe I've found one ... thanks Ticklemouse.
I couldn't go through a meal without a fizzy drink, but when I was younger, I always used to make do with tap water. I cut out the fizzy drinks a while back, because of how bad they are for the teeth, but I started to get flavoured water instead. Since joining MSE, the flavoured water has been replaced with cordial, and it's much, much nicer. The flavoured water tastes manufactured.
I still have fizzy drinks as an occasional treat, usually when I'm craving for something very sweet. But they do make me thirsty afterwards.
I hope my 2-a-day Diet Coke habit while a student hasn't already done the damage, as the medical consensus is that you can do nothing to improve bone density after your mid-20's. I'm almost 27 and didn't know about the family medical history until last year (when my mum was diagnosed) or the link to diet soft drinks until even later than this!
Operation Get in Shape
MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #1240 -
Hubby and I rarely have take out.
We did no wednesday where we buy a large chips and a big piece of cod and share.
But I never got any as I walking up the stairs to eat it in from of the computer and dropped in on the floor. As we have just moved and I don't know what has been on the carpet will not eat it. So mine got wasted :mad:
Anyway. To try and stop us from going out to eat. We have a special meal on a friday night. Sometimes we do 3 course. Like Tuna pate HM and then salad with pot wedges and fish cakes or something like that. Normally it is something that we don't have during the week. And a cheap bottle of wine.
And then dessert again something that we don't normally have.
Yours
CalleyHope for everything and expect nothing!!!
Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz
If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin0 -
Bargain_Rzl wrote:I've always found fizzy drinks too sweet, but I do like the diet versions, especially Diet Coke. That's before I found out that these are bad for the bones - they sap calcium reserves - and with my enormous family history of osteoporosis (EVERY post-menopausal female on my mother's side has it) I very rarely drink Diet Coke any more.
Is this true??? :eek:
Until relatively recently I had a Diet Coke addiction and could get through 4-6 litres of it a day!!! :eek:
Coupled with the fact I never drink milk, and never have done, and having osteoporosis/arthritis in the family this is quite scary. It also explains why a very badly broken ankle I sustained a couple of years ago has never really healed properly either
(Sorry for going OT
) "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
~
It is that what you do, good or bad,
will come back to you three times as strong!
0 -
Galtizz wrote:Any chance you could post your recipe in the recipe board?
I haven't had a Heinz pudding in ages and now I'm craving one :rolleyes: don't want to BUY one :eek: but don't know how to make them
Yep, I can type up a recipe for the index, no probs. It's just a basic victoria sponge recipe but I'll write it up and add various options that I've tried
"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
~
It is that what you do, good or bad,
will come back to you three times as strong!
0 -
I don't know whether it's JUST diet drinks, or whether it's a problem with all fizzy drinks. I do know that I've read about it in several different health articles in magazines/newpapers, some definitely reputable. I have never actually asked my GP about it though. It's something to do with preventing calcium absorption by the body.Curry_Queen wrote:Is this true??? :eek:
Until relatively recently I had a Diet Coke addiction and could get through 4-6 litres of it a day!!! :eek:
Operation Get in Shape
MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #1240 -
I'm trying to stop my daughters drinking fizzy drinks because all the women in my husband's family got osteoporosis at an early age. what works quite well as a substitute is squash made up with fizzy mineral water. It has to be natural mineral water not sparkling spring water. If you compare the analysis on the label you will see calcium content listed. Some brands are quite high in calcium and I try and buy those.It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
