MSE News: 1.2m UK vehicles to be 'corrected' in Volkswagen emissions scandal

Comments

• WellKnownSid
    WellKnownSid Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    pstuart wrote: »
    It would be my intention not to take part in any recall where its performance may deteriorate
    Do you have any evidence that this is likely to be the case?
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Do you have any evidence that this is likely to be the case?

I don't think we will really know until after the mods have been done. Why bother doing it?
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ballyblack wrote: »
    I don't think we will really know until after the mods have been done. Why bother doing it?

Yes, probably best to let some of the motoring organisations and motoring magazines do some before and after tests on your particular make and model before taking the plunge. I somehow doubt VW group will reverse the changes to your vehicle after you have had the fix/fixes done.
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    the widespread sale of diesel vehicles is a serious concern. These TDI vehicles are more common than petrol cars now in and around London. They all emit this horrible burnt plastic smell when you're around them and is a cause for concern.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What about all the London black cabs? Do they emit perfume?
  • there's lots of issues surrounding this , emissions , performance , resale value , road TAX etc ....

but isn't the main fact they have sold us something that isn't as described at the time of purchase ?

Fraud .

I'm pretty sure if I did the very same thing to any one I wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court , and would have to pay back the value of the item and any cost incurred to the injured party.

on a legal front where do we stand ? I'm sure there must be something in the " sale of goods act 1979"

my personal opinion is I feel cheated and duped, we use these companies for their reputation, supposed trust and clarity.

you sit on a throne of lies
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    slaterj20 wrote: »
    there's lots of issues surrounding this , emissions , performance , resale value , road TAX etc ....

but isn't the main fact they have sold us something that isn't as described at the time of purchase ?

Fraud .

I'm pretty sure if I did the very same thing to any one I wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court , and would have to pay back the value of the item and any cost incurred to the injured party.

on a legal front where do we stand ? I'm sure there must be something in the " sale of goods act 1979"

my personal opinion is I feel cheated and duped, we use these companies for their reputation, supposed trust and clarity.

you sit on a throne of lies

At the moment, it's not known if the cheat device was even active in the European models nor does anyone know what the recall will actually do either. What damages have owners suffered that makes them the 'injured' party? The cars could never produce the CO2 or MPG figures they were quoted at anyway so it wasn't a fraudulent sale otherwise pretty much every car would be.

The situation in the EU and US is entirely different, I can certainly see a lot of legal issues in the states as it's simply not possible for the cars to pass the emissions limits as they were hence the defeat device but in the EU, similar diesels passed the same tests and also many of them are actually producing far worse emissions than VW in real life.

John
  • Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    At the moment, it's not known if the cheat device was even active in the European models nor does anyone know what the recall will actually do either. What damages have owners suffered that makes them the 'injured' party? The cars could never produce the CO2 or MPG figures they were quoted at anyway so it wasn't a fraudulent sale otherwise pretty much every car would be.

The situation in the EU and US is entirely different, I can certainly see a lot of legal issues in the states as it's simply not possible for the cars to pass the emissions limits as they were hence the defeat device but in the EU, similar diesels passed the same tests and also many of them are actually producing far worse emissions than VW in real life.

John

true we will have to wait to find Out what they plan do do with the recall , ( do you think they will be honest ) .

Injured party may be the wrong term , but I see been sold a car that now through Thier doing is now worth less ( Audi have already dropped the price on px cars effected as they don't want them ) as they are going to be harder to sell.
    My letter states they want the car in to fix the issue , you think when it leaves there it will be better in performance or emissions ? I think not , so there's another couple of issues where we will lose out . If it turns out that it the effected cars now sit in a different tax band where do you think that cost will go ? brand confidence is now lacking .
    And because just about every car can't reach the emissions stated don't make it right or none fraudulent and certainly doesn't give them the right to exploit that and install " cheat devices " .
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My letter states they want the car in to fix the issue , you think when it leaves there it will be better in performance or emissions ? I think not , so there's another couple of issues where we will lose out .

Well you can always decline their kind offer and stay with your vehicle as you purchased it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/11906684/VW-scandal-UK-drivers-wont-be-forced-to-take-part-in-Volkswagen-emissions-recall.html
    If it turns out that it the effected cars now sit in a different tax band where do you think that cost will go ?

The government have already stated that vehicles effected will not be re-banded.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/oct/02/vw-drivers-uk-escape-higher-emissions-tax
  • Johnmcl7 wrote: »

John

however , it could be activated , if the UK implemented laws like the US
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport