Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cornish1 wrote: »
    We've been with Sky for 11 months, £55 per month for unlimited fibre BB, Q box, Sports, Cinema, Box Sets the works ... great newbie deal ...

It was going to double in price next month so tried using MySky messaging app (waste of time) and a couple of calls before someone v helpful tried all they could but even ditching Cinema could only bring it down to £84 per month.

Have switched to BT for next 12 months using latest deal link (£42 per month ish with £100 Mastercard). Will miss Sky Sports but will have BT Sport and will try Sky again same time next year.
    The good deals don't come from calling to deal. They come when you actually cancel or ,even better, let the service go off. (just tv of course)
  • vix2000
    vix2000 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So I have checked the Sky website, and for a new customer (account was previously in daughters name) they are doing the box set at £25 instead of £38, free 2tb box and mini box free with £65 installation, then £12 a month multiscreen (is it £12 for any amount of mini boxes?). So that would be £65 up front then £37 a month, £47 with movies.

But we keep getting the 60% off offer by email to return. so we could get multiscreen and movies, £38 + £10, for £19.20 a month plus £12 multiscreen, total £31.30, but adds up over 18 months to £284.40 saving. Does anyone know what would be the best price we could get the equipment for as an existing customer?

Do they usually have better deals in the run up to christmas, or does it get more expensive as more people want it at christmas?

There is no quidco cashback I can see at the moment, but there is the £50 recommend a friend.

Any advice or opinions?
  • JamesN
    JamesN Posts: 776 Forumite
    Options
    From what I've heard, its £12 for several miniboxes, I think there is a limit as to how many you can have but i'm confident its more than one. The only thing is you'd need to pay for the additional miniboxes (as in a one off fee).

There is a lot of talk that you can renew at the 60% discount and then upgrade your sub to sky q and pay some one off fees but maintain the 60% for 12 months. However, the Sky Q contracts are on 18 month deals which leaves 6 months at full price. There is also talk you could renegotiate at 12 months but I'd check all of this with your sky advisor before going ahead. I'm in the same boat but reluctant to do it as the negotiating power is much less at 12 months with another 6 to go.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    JamesN wrote: »
    From what I've heard, its £12 for several miniboxes, I think there is a limit as to how many you can have but i'm confident its more than one. The only thing is you'd need to pay for the additional miniboxes (as in a one off fee).

There's no additional upfront charge for the first mini box but it does add £12 a month to the cost. If adding more (up to 4 in total) then they charge £99 extra per added box but for the same monthly £12 fee.

There is a slight catch in that you can only watch on two TVs at the same time with the 1TB box, or three TVs at the same time with the 2TB box.
  • vix2000
    vix2000 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just re-read the emails and it says 60% off any bundle, so I'm assuming that doesn't include movies?
  • Jimbeef
    Options
    Now then i have a dilemma:

Joined Sky last year on a mega deal (think the guy was on something) - Sky Q 2TB box for £30, free install, 1 x multiroom, Sports HD, Cinema, standard broadband and phone line = £55 a month for 12 months.

Now my 12 months is up it's going to be about £120 a month - no chance. Rang retentions to cancel TV, they said the best they could do "considering my opening deal" was knocking off sports and cinema (we don't use them, didn't even ask for them at the start), £5 off broadband and £8 off box sets. With the discounts it means my monthly is £72.39 (box sets £30.40, multiroom £12, line £18.99, bband £5, HD £6).

Do I take it or cancel and hold off in case something better comes along during my notice period? I said I would discuss with my other half and she was ok to put a note on my account to keep the offer open for a bit.

Also, the woman said that price included £6 for HD, I don't remember seeing that on my bill when everything else is on there, paid for or not. Is it a thing?

All help and advice is much appreciated!!
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    Jimbeef wrote: »

Joined Sky last year on a mega deal (think the guy was on something) - Sky Q 2TB box for £30, free install, 1 x multiroom, Sports HD, Cinema, standard broadband and phone line = £55 a month for 12 months.

Now my 12 months is up it's going to be about £120 a month - no chance. Rang retentions to cancel TV, they said the best they could do "considering my opening deal" was knocking off sports and cinema (we don't use them, didn't even ask for them at the start), £5 off broadband and £8 off box sets. With the discounts it means my monthly is £72.39 (box sets £30.40, multiroom £12, line £18.99, bband £5, HD £6).

Do I take it or cancel and hold off in case something better comes along during my notice period? I said I would discuss with my other half and she was ok to put a note on my account to keep the offer open for a bit.

Also, the woman said that price included £6 for HD, I don't remember seeing that on my bill when everything else is on there, paid for or not. Is it a thing?

Cancel you TV package asap. You will then see at least 50% off offered for TV.

I have done this silly game with sky now for several years.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Jimbeef wrote: »

Definately cancel to get a better deal, I think the HD addition is for sport HD so you'd lose that if not keeping sports.(why it's an additional cost defies all logic)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    edited 14 September 2017 at 3:41PM
    Options
    As in the previous post, I was going to mention HD only being needed for viewing HD sports . If you have Boxed Sets that package allows you to view everything else offered in HD or 3D.

I'm going to cancel mine (Boxed Sets and Cinema) and let it go off, only returning for a very good offer or it's dust off the Humax again, as Sky really is just a luxury. (I fully intended to stay away last year, but was lured back by 75% off)

I'm having to sort ADSL and line in the next few weeks (ie stay with PlusNet or return to Sky),but my thread hasn't brought forth any of the information asked for.
  • Jimbeef
    Options
    Well it seems a though the masses have spoken, let's cancel and see what turns up in the next 30 days or so!

Let's hope they're feeling needy...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure