Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• RavenQueen
    Options
    We were wanting go back to Sky after being with Virgin and were hoping to get a good deal but we haven't been offered anything amazing to be honest. As there was a crossover between switching to Sky, they still class us as a returning customer not a new customer. Does anyone know if they give you a new HD box or do you just keep the old one?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    RavenQueen wrote: »
    We were wanting go back to Sky after being with Virgin and were hoping to get a good deal but we haven't been offered anything amazing to be honest. As there was a crossover between switching to Sky, they still class us as a returning customer not a new customer. Does anyone know if they give you a new HD box or do you just keep the old one?

There are no new HD+ boxes, they'll try and get you on the Q system (which costs more :( )
  • nicktheory
    Options
    Got offered 50% off TV for 12 months, but the broadband and line rental etc the same, and they wouldn't upgrade me to SkyQ, so I'd be on the old hardware.
    Doesn't come in much less than the new customer offers, so said not to bother. Best they could do was offer a £10 credit on the account... shameful. Especially given that will be eaten up by the £10 admin charge...
  • nky225
    Options
    been onto sky today as a platinum 13 year customer.
    Ive got the original Sky+ HD box from 11 years ago thats failing on a daily basis plus a 2nd old sky plus box.

Currently on variety bundle with sky sports pack and im paying £71.50 a month with a second box.

Spoke to retentions told them i want to upgrade my package to box sets, sports, sports hd pack, with Sky Q 2tb and a second Q box after id spoken to the live chat team yesterday. the live chat had offered exactly what i want for £65 a month with £70 one off fee for the boxes and told that if i wasnt happy with the price to speak to the cancellations team and they would reduce it.

Retentions said theres nothing they can do with Sky Q and didnt even give me the option to take it!
    They tried any way possible of getting me to reduce the content in the package, which i didnt want, and then came up with that the best they could do was £59.85 a month, only a 16% saving!

Needless to say i didnt take it, im checking other options but think i will be cancelling later this evening
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    nky225 wrote: »
    been onto sky today as a platinum 13 year customer.
    Ive got the original Sky+ HD box from 11 years ago thats failing on a daily basis plus a 2nd old sky plus box.

Currently on variety bundle with sky sports pack and im paying £71.50 a month with a second box.

Spoke to retentions told them i want to upgrade my package to box sets, sports, sports hd pack, with Sky Q 2tb and a second Q box after id spoken to the live chat team yesterday. the live chat had offered exactly what i want for £65 a month with £70 one off fee for the boxes and told that if i wasnt happy with the price to speak to the cancellations team and they would reduce it.

Retentions said theres nothing they can do with Sky Q and didnt even give me the option to take it!
    They tried any way possible of getting me to reduce the content in the package, which i didnt want, and then came up with that the best they could do was £59.85 a month, only a 16% saving!

Needless to say i didnt take it, im checking other options but think i will be cancelling later this evening

Cancel and u will get at least 50% off your tv.
  • Smithy225
    Options
    Cancelled. Account page only showing 30%, should I hold off?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Smithy225 wrote: »
    Cancelled. Account page only showing 30%, should I hold off?

To get the best offers you have to let the services stop i.e. let Sky switch you off. 30% off is very poor.
  • vix2000
    vix2000 Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My daughter had sky when she lived with us but we cancelled when she moved out. We now have phone and fibre from BT. We are constantly getting the 60% off offer through the post. However, we would also be classed as new customers, so would be grateful for any advice on the best deal we could get. We would like sky Q 2tb and one multi room. Bit confused with tv packages now, but not bothered about sport. (don't know where movies come into it these days as can't see anything on the sky website!!!)

Originally Posted by deanos View Post
    Sorry if it's not clear, I currently have Sky box set half price at £19 a month until 2022 on a 1 month rolling contract with a standard sky hd box

I have upgraded to sky q and keep the box sets at half price until 2022

They have charged me £30 for a 2tb SkyQ box and a SkyQ mini box one off payment instead of £115

I will pay an additional £12 for multi screen

So I will be paying £31 a month in total, after 18 months I can cancel multiscreen if I wish as that part is for 18 months

This looks like a great deal but how would you go about getting it, better as a new or existing customer?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    beckric wrote: »

Due to the complete lack of contact I decided to ring them & was offered 50% off the basic packages but was told there was no way they would be able to offer anything like the 75% deals that some are reporting.

My 75% offer was last November and stated as only being available until the end of December, so I'm surprised that it went on as long as it did.

I only returned as I got Boxed Sets and Cinema for a very low price (was happy enough with free and Smart tv with the Humax) ,so don't expect to be returning after this year's cancellation, as they surely won't repeat the offer.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    vix2000 wrote: »
    My daughter had sky when she lived with us but we cancelled when she moved out. We now have phone and fibre from BT. We are constantly getting the 60% off offer through the post. However, we would also be classed as new customers, so would be grateful for any advice on the best deal we could get. We would like sky Q 2tb and one multi room. Bit confused with tv packages now, but not bothered about sport. (don't know where movies come into it these days as can't see anything on the sky website!!!)

This looks like a great deal but how would you go about getting it, better as a new or existing customer?

I think the 50% off for 5 years was probably a mistake, as they certainly did offer a small reduction fixed for 5 years (via email).

The site is complicated, but you'd probably get a good deal if you still have the old dish and HD+ box, as they don't have to send anyone out.

The site is a mess, giving the impression that to have tv as a new customer you have to take mobile or fibre, with ADSL only mentioned on the phone/Broadband section.

It looks as if they are going for the tv and some kind of phone combination (mobile or fibre with no mention of ADSL: useless if you can't get fibre) being the only option for any wanting tv.

There's a note that says something like 'Just tv for me' but when you follow the link ,it once more adds mobile.

I have tv until December, but if I rejoin for phone and ADSL in October, it looks like it may not be possible to cancel tv for a better price as no fibre or mobile is needed in the deal.

This is even more complicated than the broadband/line combination confusion. The site seems to change every few days (I note that bundles including cinema with original days seem to have gone with bundle meaning 'with phone' ,now.)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback