I Need A New Me

Options

Comments

• kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Oil filled radiators are quite good Tink - we had a couple at our old house when the boiler broke down in January and the landlord was feeling particularly tight!! Weren't too bad on the bills front and heat the room nicely if you have a door closed :)
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • joeyjimbles
    Options
    We have a couple of oil filled radiators, bought after we discovered the central heating in our house was inadequate (upgraded now). I used one last night for a couple of hours as our boiler is being mended (thank heavens Baxi has 7 year guarantee) and it was really effective. I didn't think to put the smart meter on to see how much it cost to run however.

They appear to have come from Wickes and are about a metre tall and 40cm wide. And they're at least 10 years old so very durable if you don't need them for a while.

I hate a warm bedroom so our radiators are off at night in our bedroom, but on in the bathroom and the boys' bedrooms. OH has at least one hot water bottle and an extra layer of duvet on his side of the bed - but he'd love an electric blanket.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00
    LD 11.24 £500.00/£460.00 (92%)    Fn £400                                                     
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£404.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£085.00 (18%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£086.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0750.00

• Jumblerina
    Options
    So much to catch up on Tink :) so glad you got a clean bill of health, make sure you take care of yourself in this cold weather. Your London trip sounds fab, so glad you and DD had a great time and your takeaway and cake evening sounds lovely :D I'm enjoying your bullet journal thread, need to head over and catch up!

Jumblerina xxx
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with DIA on the electric blanket. I actually have a dual type one where I only need to heat the side of the bed I use and the other side has its own controls. It feels amazing getting into a fully toasty bed when everywhere is cold.

Did you buy YNAB? They have a student rate I believe which you're now entitled to. Also, I just mentioned on another diary that as YNAB allocates a task to every penny, it's difficult to get into the NSD's I think. It is for me anyway.

Have you had a good day?

MTxx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    I have a huge oil filled radiator which does well at heating a big room, not sure how cheap it is though. My bills in this flat seem to partly depend on what upstairs are doing as if the rooms above are cold the heat just gets wasted!

I also have a small fan heater which is probably also not very efficient but is just enough to stop me shivering while I do my face in the mornings, if I get up outside the usual time. I can't properly sleep in a hot room but hate hopping about shivering while I get in and out of bed, so have the timer set to take the chill off before I get up and before bed!

I did wonder about an electric blanket but then I'd NEVER get rid of the cats on the duvet :rotfl:

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Another one here giving a thumbs up to the oil filled radiator but also not sure how cheap it is...
    Wow MT loving the sound of your half and half electric blanket. Cool :cool:
    Stay warm Tink
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    Hi Tinks

Was wonderful to read all about London :)

Take care of you and great news from the Drs :)
    Sam xx
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • bellevie
    bellevie Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've missed a lot on your diary Tink, you have had an amazing couple of weeks!

I agree with an oil filled radiator, I had one since before DD was born and its always been a good back up for a cold room, or when its not really cold enough to put the heating on for the whole house.
    My room is always cold, so in winter I keep mine on low through the night. I really rate them.
    MFW
    Starting debt :£287,410 -11/2020

2022 Closing balance £271,402.45 

2023 closing balance £263140

Original end 11/2045 
    New end date :....... 

Overpayments to date £514.4 (1/24)

• Tinkerbelle2000
    Options
    Morning lovelies. So much information about radiators, thank you so much. I love a good hot water bottle but I must admit I'm scared of electric blankets lol. When I was about ten I had one and I fell asleep with it on. Woke up in the early hours to a burning smell. It had rumpled up at the bottom of my bed and started smouldering. I'm guessing by the sounds of MT's they are a lot more advanced now, but I guess I shouldn't have fallen asleep with it on lol.

MT I bought YNAB last year, one of those I want it now moments. Thankfully they have been kicked to the curb now. I know I'm not thick lol but there are still some things on it that I can't get my head round. I think I will practice this month and try and start afresh next year.

Fry-girl I didn't mean I was classing the whole of December as a nsd. I just mean how about I go for the full 31 days and see how many I can achieve as all my money is budgeted this month but thank you for your post.

I think I'm going to start some challenges next year as I want to pay off as much as I can. Hopefully next year I might even have time to look into starting my own little business that I keep thinking about.

Thank you for all the well wishes. I've been wrapped up all week, coat, scarf and gloves but I've woke up this morning with a cold!! My lecturer at college had one so I can only assume he spread the love lol.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend. Dare I ask if anyone has decorations up yet lol.

Tink xx
    As of 31st December 2018 Total Debt = £15837.59
    DEBT 1 - £41.10 DEBT 2 - £257.41 DEBT 3 - £584.12 DEBT 4 - £700.00
    DEBT 5 - £655.02 DEBT 6 - £669.18 DEBT 7 - £3448.00 DEBT 8 - £2169.12
    DEBT 9 - £2964.25 DEBT 10 - £4349.39
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Hope you shake the cold soon Tink!

I would love to have my tree up but I hate taking it down so taking it down twice is not my idea of fun!! xx
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport