We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
PCN for parking on a restricted bus stop/stand
Hel3n76
Posts: 9 Forumite
Please can you help.
I received a Parking charge notice on Sunday 5th July 2015. I had pulled in a bus stop to put my niece's seatbelt on, this was near to Doncaster Airport, as she had taken it off. I was there slightly longer than the 17 seconds they had me logged.
I appealed their decision, and received a response dated 4th August rejecting my appeal. Bizarrely they state that I shouldn't have pulled over - therefore leaving my niece with no seatbelt on. Also they state i should have called the helpline number to get advise, and i could have prevented getting this charge. Both advise would mean I would be unlawful - leaving my niece with no seatbelt on whilst driving, and using my phone whilst driving!
I really don't want to pay the £60 fee, but it goes up to £100 soon.
Please let me know if there is anything I can do - should I appeal through the IAS?
Thank you
I received a Parking charge notice on Sunday 5th July 2015. I had pulled in a bus stop to put my niece's seatbelt on, this was near to Doncaster Airport, as she had taken it off. I was there slightly longer than the 17 seconds they had me logged.
I appealed their decision, and received a response dated 4th August rejecting my appeal. Bizarrely they state that I shouldn't have pulled over - therefore leaving my niece with no seatbelt on. Also they state i should have called the helpline number to get advise, and i could have prevented getting this charge. Both advise would mean I would be unlawful - leaving my niece with no seatbelt on whilst driving, and using my phone whilst driving!
I really don't want to pay the £60 fee, but it goes up to £100 soon.
Please let me know if there is anything I can do - should I appeal through the IAS?
Thank you
0
Comments
-
You talk about a mysterious entity known as "They"I appealed their decision, and received a response dated 4th August rejecting my appeal. Bizarrely they state that I shouldn't have pulled over
Who are they?From the Plain Language Commission:
"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"0 -
"they" will be VCS,
you also have the option to ignore them for 6 years unless they try a court case, in which case take them on and let the judge decide
they sometimes try court but would be fools to do so in this case, but maybe try the IAS but dont expect to win your appeal there either, in which case use the IGNORE option to anything except court papers for the next 6 years0 -
Yes "they" is VCS.
I will appeal again through IAS.
I'm worried I will end up in court and this will cost me much more.
Thanks for your advice.0 -
everybody is, and should be , although you may well win in court and they may never take it to court , that is their ultimate sanction for an unpaid invoice, same as if "they" were a plumber or kitchen fitter
the small claims has been going since 1973 or so, so its a situation we all face
read this similar thread about RHA here
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5256519
assume you will lose at the IAS, but hope that you win
if you lose, ignore anything except court papers, so no replies about debt collectors as its boring and they cannot do anything at all except send you threatograms in the post0 -
This will never end up in court; none at any airport 'stopping where stopping is prohibited' has gone anywhere near a Judge. An almost certain judgment against VCS at any of their airport sites would threaten to bring down their money grabbing scheme.
Ignore anything further, unless (a vanishingly unlikely event ) real court papers arrive, which will need to be dealt with.
You'll get a short burst of debt collector papers, ride those out - debt collectors are powerless.Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.#Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street0 -
there is a little debate on the forum about how to handle PPC's who are aligned to the IPC , the standard forum advice is to do the soft appeal but not bother with the kangaroo court at IAS
my thoughts .......
The scammers that infest some of the smaller airports are in cahoots with said airports as its is a (allegedly) mutual financial arrangement ....
Go back a year or two and you would win this at a POPLA appeal ..... however in the world of PPC's they can create another trade body (the IPC) that have a (again allegedly) kangaroo court :eek: (the IAS) The IAS seem to treat appeals as a lottery 80%+ loose irrespective of the evidence.......
you therefore can (after reading the below) choose to follow the forum advice ,and ignore .... or in IMHO do the appeals as a paper trail.
VCS did try out their first small claims court case over such ....and as predict that they pulled out before the trial ..... . They did not dare try placing this before a real judge! and have not yet tried again ..... I wounder why ?
Please do not let this put you off ..... read through some of the below for background information ....
http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/vehicle-control-systems-signage-at.html
http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/are-independent-parking-company.html
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5191690
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5132921
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5192051
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5130131
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5177878
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5180656
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5177198
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5177258
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5110349
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5171250
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5156653
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5152822
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5131416
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5149455
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5148343
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5105940
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5139477
Ralph:cool:0 -
Thanks for advice. I didn't pay, and have just received a Notice of Intended Court Proceedings from VCS. It gives me until tomorrow to pay the £100. I have been in touch with CAB and they told me to contact POPLA and BPA however they have both said VCS is an IPC company and not related to them.
There seems to be nowhere else to go now. So am I likely to end up in court? I'm very worried.0 -
What does the letter actually say? Does it come from VCS or a solicitor on their behalf?0
-
See Umkomaas's post at #6 above.
This is for stopping, it's not even a parking issue.
I really don't think they'll want to risk a court case on this, if they lose the court claim then their entire business at this location (and many others) could be put at serious risk.Je Suis Cecil.0 -
Call their bluff, they are on a hiding to nothing, they will either blink first or risk this scam collapsing around their ears.
"Dear Sir, may I bring to your attention Arkell v Pressdram"You never know how far you can go until you go too far.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

