Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Replies

• chrisb1357chrisb1357 Forumite
    836 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I have not been abroad for some years and last time we went I took travel cheques and some euro's in cash but I guest time has moved on.

We are going to Spain in Sept and was thinking is a pre payment card the best option now days as I don't fancy taking cash apart from a few euro's.

I have a CoOp Cash Minder account which I don't fancying using abroad and I don't live anywhere near a Metro bank and would not want to open another bank account so is a Pre Payment card the best option?

Was not sure the best way to spend in Spain or which Pre Payment card to go for as i was thinking of taking cash out of a ATM each day or would spending direct on the card be better.

Any tips on which card to use would be great

Many Thanks
  • Bubba_ShabooBubba_Shaboo Forumite
    495 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Not overly impressed with Revolut. Still haven't received a physical card. Was offered an emergency card but no one is replying to my support chats now so doesn't look promising for my trip on 01/08/15 :-(
  • Bubba_ShabooBubba_Shaboo Forumite
    495 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭

Please contact our in-App support chat letting them know you need an emergency card and we'll get it sent out to arrive before you leave.

:)

Not much point if the responses are sporadic. Looks a good idea on paper but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Businesses live or die by their customer service and your future isn't looking too rosy from where I'm standing.
  • Revolut_OfficialRevolut_Official Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    87 Posts
    Hi Bubba Shaboo,

Apologies for any issue with the in-App support, we've updated the service which has caused some temporary issues.

Please call us on: +44 (0) 203 725 75 83 or email us at [email protected] letting us know you are leaving on 01/08/15 and we'll get you a card sent our via next day delivery to arrive tomorrow.

:)
    Not overly impressed with Revolut. Still haven't received a physical card. Was offered an emergency card but no one is replying to my support chats now so doesn't look promising for my trip on 01/08/15 :-(
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Revolut. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • we currently have a card with Caxton, which we will finish with as soon as possible. We were stuck in France and the prepaid card had run out???? I had limited Wifi and very limited minutes on my mobile. I rang Caxton, explained what had happened and they said they would ring me back. 4 days later and two more phone calls they eventually kept their promise. It turned out that the reason for " running out of cash" is because if you use an automated petrol pump and it says that you can have, say 180 euros worth of petrol, but you only use 30 euros, the card is debited with the 180 and the balance of 50 euros is credited some 3 weeks later'!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked why they had not returned my calls which were all logged each with a greater degree of urgency, and they told me that they were too busy with incoming calls to deal with outgoing calls.

My advice is AVOID CAXTON LIKE THE PLAGUE, the rate may be good but the service is awful.:(
  • NicDNicD Forumite
    3 Posts
    Just got the new Revoult card to use abroad. The card will be delivered in 2 days to me and then I am free to use. I loaded it up with £200 and got £5 added on free. The exchange rate was the best I have seen, I got the Euro exchange rate at 1.418!! Which gave me 290.65 euros for £205. Not bad. I am travelling soon so we will see how the card uses abroad. The app seems very easy to use too.
    Finges Crossed it'll work. Either way my money will be safe as it is affilated with Barclays.
    Will let you all know how it goes.
  • we currently have a card with Caxton, which we will finish with as soon as possible. We were stuck in France and the prepaid card had run out???? I had limited Wifi and very limited minutes on my mobile. I rang Caxton, explained what had happened and they said they would ring me back. 4 days later and two more phone calls they eventually kept their promise. It turned out that the reason for " running out of cash" is because if you use an automated petrol pump and it says that you can have, say 180 euros worth of petrol, but you only use 30 euros, the card is debited with the 180 and the balance of 50 euros is credited some 3 weeks later'!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked why they had not returned my calls which were all logged each with a greater degree of urgency, and they told me that they were too busy with incoming calls to deal with outgoing calls.

My advice is AVOID CAXTON LIKE THE PLAGUE, the rate may be good but the service is awful.:(

To be fair to Caxton, they do state:
    Your prepaid card will not work at automated petrol stations

For security reasons your Caxton FX card will not work at automated petrol stations. We recommend that you avoid using them or you use an alternative card to settle the bill.
    Avoid using your prepaid card at Toll booths

Caxton FX prepaid cards require a merchant to seek authorisation before they provide the goods or services. The majority of European toll roads and bridges do not seek an authorisation and therefore you can't use your Caxton FX currency card at most toll booths.

https://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/how-they-work

Your situation is an issue in general with all Prepaid cards.
  • chrisb1357chrisb1357 Forumite
    836 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All

Is anyone able to offer any advice on this.

Many Thanks

chrisb1357 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have not been abroad for some years and last time we went I took travel cheques and some euro's in cash but I guest time has moved on.

We are going to Spain in Sept and was thinking is a pre payment card the best option now days as I don't fancy taking cash apart from a few euro's.

I have a CoOp Cash Minder account which I don't fancying using abroad and I don't live anywhere near a Metro bank and would not want to open another bank account so is a Pre Payment card the best option?

Was not sure the best way to spend in Spain or which Pre Payment card to go for as i was thinking of taking cash out of a ATM each day or would spending direct on the card be better.

Any tips on which card to use would be great

Many Thanks
  • chrisb1357 wrote: »
    Hi All

Is anyone able to offer any advice on this.

Many Thanks

The Revolut card is popular at the momemt.
  • gingercordialgingercordial Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Successfully got the free £5 with £10 added on Revolut yesterday, but my boyfriend did not. He's currently still waiting for a response via the in-app support service. Fingers crossed they will reply and honour it.