PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• Islander1
    Options
    What were you reclaiming: ppi on a loan
    Who was the provider: RBS
    How much did you get back: £770
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Bank online questionnaire

It was a 2 year loan back in 2003 that i forgot about. The amount of ppi they say i paid is slightly lower than i paid according to my own paperwork but this was a welcome bonus so I'm just happy to get anything. Applied on 18th February, had a few texts informing me of their progress a few weeks ago and I got my offer letter today.
  • PrestonXIII
    Options
    Hi everyone

LOAN
    FIRST PLUS
    £31K
    sent a letter in January and cashed the cheques this week..
    Took a secured loan out with partner and was told that we had to have the insurance too get the loan but don't worry you will get all that money back if you don't make a claim after 5 years, didn't inform us that this was going to be added to the loan and that we would be paying huge amounts of interest on top of it though and not to worry about my hernia operation it was fine..
    Well we are just thrilled we got a win over these people and also that we didn't have to use a claims firm to also take thier 30%
    Claim people it's definately worth it
  • Quaint1
    Quaint1 Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 21 March 2018 at 6:43AM
    Options
    Further to my post of a few weeks ago; I have now had responses from three of the four companies who, at some point, administered the two credit cards I!!!8217;ve had - MNBA and Santander (formerly Alliance & Leicester) for one and Lloyds for the other. I used Resolver for the initial contacts and claimed under Plevin, though the offers have all been for full mid-sold PPI.
    Santander was the first and I posted about that before.
    MNBA was next - they sent just shy of £3000; Lloyds went into a lot more detail, but eventually I got their offer of a few pounds short of £5000!
    None of which I would have got if it hadn!!!8217;t been for seeing the Plevin article in one of the MSE newsletters!
    I!!!8217;m just waiting to hear from RBS who I think had the Alliance and Leicester card before MNBA.
  • MrsC....tobe
    MrsC....tobe Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I took out a secured loan with First Plus back around 2004. I was told at the time that I should take PPI and if I hadn't made a claim within 5 years I would get the money back. The loan was repaid in full within 18 months but when I questionned the PPI refund I was told that it wouldn't be refunded as it was front loaded.
    Claimed recently through resolver, I had no details of the loan account and I thought it would make it harder having got married and moved to the other end of the country but 8 weeks after the initial letter went in I got a cheque for just under £10k through the door!

I'm off to see if I can remember any other lenders I might have had PPI with!
    No longer ...tobe! Married 20/06/13MFW 2021 #117 £5415.40/£6000MFW 2022 #77 £3740/£3000MFW 2023 #82 £0/£3000
  • Stumpyuk
    Options
    10K back from Barclays for PPI applied to Overdraft facility.

Back in 1986 I was called into the bank to speak to the manager. It turned out that they had wrongly (and without my knowledge) deposited money into my account and were intending to simply take the money back out. This would have made me overdrawn. They offered to give me a "free overdraft" to cover this. Sometime later, they spoke to me again about applying a service charge so that I could continue with the overdraft facility - PPI was not mentioned at all.

In February 2018 after a huge, long drawn out process, I finally got access to the full online service for the bank. I was now able to detailed review of all transactions. Clicking on the monthly service charge for the overdraft facility (£12 per month) I noticed that in the detail it make reference to PPI. I immediately came onto this site to see what I could find out. As a result of that I found my banks "Claim back your PPI" web pages and submitted a claim. It turns out that I had been paying PPI on my overdraft since 1986. They refunded me just under £10,000 last week

The "interesting" aspect of this situation is that I wrote to my bank 6 or 7 years ago to ask if PPI had been applied to any of my loans or accounts. They assured me that I had not been charged any PPI. I guess because I failed to ask explicitly about overdrafts in my original letter, they felt able to "overlook" those charges in their reply.

Anyway, thanks very much to Martin and the team for bringing the whole PPI issue to the wider public's attention and also for the great advice on the site.
  • SpeciallK74
    Options
    Decided to bite the bullet and do this thing. Online message to Barclays bank, I had no card details, no information about when I took out the credit, I just knew I had something. They responded via text as follows:
    day 1 thank you for your complaint
    day 5 your complaint is being dealt with
    day 10 Barclays are upholding your complaint
    day 15 Check for £1444.00 arrives in the post

People! Barclays wrote to me explaining that this is from the years 1994 to 1996! My total premiums paid for this were just over £350!
    For the sake of accessing the internet, putting in what little information I had, I have received this lovely little windfall! No information, NO FSA, NO claims company!! All I can say is don't think - just do it!!
  • Karen59#*
    Options
    I have just had my PPI claim for a store card rejected by Santander and I was wantingvto know if anyone has had any success with the ombudsmen regarding the clai..
  • HeresHopin
    Options
    So since my post of 19th February and patiently waiting 28 days - which have long since past - I called NRAM who advise my signature does not match their records & i need to send some ID.

So i will continue to wait another 28 days - hopefully it will arrive soon. :cool:

In the meantime my other NRAM loan complaint has also been upheld so awaiting a further sum of £4385.01 :T.

Creation have still not been in contact in reference to my Plevin complaint.

Gosh patience is a virtue - But it will be worth it in the end :grin:
  • perfect10
    perfect10 Posts: 455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 March 2018 at 1:19PM
    Options
    What were you reclaiming: Mortgage payment protection insurance
    Who was the provider: Halifax
    How much did you get back: £10k
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Paper form printed off from online, then telephone call from case handler

Decided to give it a go - mortgage payment insurance taken out in 1987. Made a claim on insurance during period so never thought we would get anything.
    Anyway after the Plevin rule came in we thought it worth a shot as may be compensated a little through this.
    The form was easy to fill in even though we did not have all the details for the insurance.

Over the moon - so even if your claim is over 30 years old and you have claimed on this insurance in the past you have nothing to lose by filling in the forms and sending off!
    Entering a few comps here and there 2020 seems my best year for wins so far:- iphone xs, limited edition whiskey, Masha and the Bear toys, newborn baby stuff, 3 x books, 12 months membership to diet app, bottle of syrup, Baby Shark singing puppet, children’s book, Nasty vegan shake x 2 packs.
  • rh2
    rh2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    From 2006 to 2014, I was paying PPI on a capital one credit card, as well as having a sentinel PPI payment coming off the same card annually. The sentinel PPI was sold to me by capital one, and they still took monthly payments (which I believed to be a breakdown of the annual charge), even though I had annual payments going to Sentinel. So I'd paid twice for the same protection!! I made a PPI claim back in 2014 and cancelled all insurance payments. The claim was rejected by capital one and the ombudsman. I recently got a letter from capital one saying I should now make a new type of complaint. Am I likely to be rejected again if this has already Ben dismissed by ombudsman back in 2014?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback