PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dawn6Nov wrote: »
    I made a claim for PPI against Santander (Alliance and Leicester when mortgage was taken out December 1991) via resolver in February. I had a couple of letters telling me they were looking into it and last week had a payment of £2129 paid into my account with just numbers which changed to Santander a few days later but no explanation of what it was. Today I received a letter saying my PPI claim was rejected as it would have been suitable for my needs etc but the payment was for unfair commission they had taken.

The letter also states if not happy with outcome I can refer complaint to Ombudsman within 6 months. As I already have had money paid into account can I still do this and if so do I just escalate it with Resolver or have to write separately. Havent a clue what I'm doing so was glad of the payment but still paying £35 a month.

Any advice would be welcome TIA

You expect a mortgage PPI complaint to fail as that is the most common outcome. They would have told you why it failed in their response. You havent mentioned your complaint reason or the rejection reasons. So, we cant really comment beyond saying you got the most statistically likely outcome.

Making another complaint on the same basis isnt going to get you anywhere. You cant keep complaining but changing the communication method.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • deanandcaro
    Options
    Dear john from Nationwide. Mortgage
    2002-2011 had ppi then 2011- present they switched us to lifestyle protector.
    Now saying not eligible as it was cancelled in 2011.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Dawn6Nov wrote: »
    The letter also states if not happy with outcome I can refer complaint to Ombudsman within 6 months. As I already have had money paid into account can I still do this
    The Bank's letter will already detail how you can do this. You've actually had a part refund. This was only of the Commission paid and is due to the Plevin Case which decided undisclosed commission should be refunded even to those whose PPI complaints fail.

However, on what basis do you intend to refer the complaint to the Ombudsman? Look at the reasons why the Bank has said your complaint was rejected, can you counter these reasons? If not, then you can expect the Ombudsman to reject you too.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mortgage
    You are therefore time barred under the six year rule. You won't have been forcibly switched to "Lifestyle Protector" in 2011, you must have agreed to it. Why didn't you complain about the PPI at the time it was cancelled?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dear john from Nationwide. Mortgage

Not eligible for what?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Not eligible for what?
    To complain. Sounds like they are being time-barred.
  • dufc001
    dufc001 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Just a quick post about my success story.

I wrote to Barclaycard last year to claim PPI and I was declined. After reading about the Plevin decision I decided to push back on their decision and wrote to them again. I received a letter this week to advise that they had now found in my favour and I have been awarded £11,600 from 3 cards I had with them over the years.

I am very happy and would urge anyone not to give up.
  • cosygoals
    Options
    A success story!
    I contacted Very as I remember cancelling my shopping insurance back in 2003. 6 weeks later after a few forms to complete have had a cheque for £5,968! Just in time for buying my first home which we exchange on this week!
    Slimming world member since Jan 2018 - lost 8lbs so far!
    On First Time House Buying mission
  • Islander1
    Options
    What were you reclaiming: Started as an online flexible loan in 2003, then became a fixed loan in 2008
    Who was the provider: Cahoot then Santander
    How much did you get back: £19721
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Santander online form along with a letter.
    Santander asked for more information soon after complaining. They took the full 8 weeks. My letter arrived today telling me my complaint was upheld along with a breakdown. Checked my account and money went in to my account yesterday. :D
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cosygoals wrote: »
    A success story!
    I contacted Very as I remember cancelling my shopping insurance back in 2003. 6 weeks later after a few forms to complete have had a cheque for £5,968! Just in time for buying my first home which we exchange on this week!

That's a cheap house ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure