PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• Precisioncars
    Options
    Anyone know the contact details for dfs had a sofa from there and believe had ppi on agreement. Thanks
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Rolyan wrote: »
    I suppose the only question is was it PPI or something else that allows Marks and Spencer to wriggle out of it.

Thanks again for your advice.

PPI was a charge levied every month on the balance, so it sounds like it was. It doesn't matter what they themselves called it, credit protection/protection/insurance etc, it was still PPI.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • bluep
    bluep Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 February 2017 at 10:25AM
    Options
    Reclaiming : PPI on a credit card taken out in mid 1990s
    Provider : HSBC
    How much did you get back: over £4000
    After letter or ombudsmen: Neither - two phone calls.

I am still in shock I think. I still bank with HSBC but had no documentation - just a memory of having PPI on my first ever credit card at the the age of 18. I remember thinking what's that for as I don't have a permenant job and I'm going to be a student for years. I called up HSBC customer services and asked them to look into what products I'd had PPI on. I then got a phone call from their complaints team who said they'd done a review and that I didn't have PPI on my student loan with them but did on that credit card. I explained the circumstances and that even when I did start work 4 years later I went into a grad scheme job that gave employee benefits like critical illness insurance up to the hilt. They said they had very little records at that stage but would look for more - just my credit card limit of £2k and couldn't tell me how much PPI is laid or for how long. I said that I'd been so surprised they'd given me a credit card that I spent a fortune on it and then couldn't pay it off for years. They said they would make a decision on whether I'd been missold and if so refer it to the calculations team. I asked how it would be calculated if so but they couldn't or wouldn't tell me.

So I've been waiting for a decision letter...just checked my bank balance without even thinking about PPI and I've had over £4000 paid in as PPI redress. I didn't cancel it and as the card was open for years and it was over 20 years ago. I thought I might get a few hundred or maybe a thousand back...

Amazing. I'm now going to get in touch with MBNA and Egg who I think I transferred the balance to at some point and see...
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,006 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Anyone know the contact details for dfs had a sofa from there and believe had ppi on agreement. Thanks
    Go to the store that you made the purchase from, failing that, write to head office.

Head Office, 1 Rockingham Way, Redhouse Interchange, Adwick-le-Street, Doncaster, DN6 7NA

If this purchase was before January 2005, you may struggle with this, you will need valid reasons for mis sell of this PPI, you cannot say "the advisor said I had to take it" this is hearsay and you will have to have to proof of this.
  • Letssaveit
    Options
    What were you reclaiming: PPI on Storecards
    Who was the provider: GE Capital
    How much did you get back: £50,000 plus
    Did you get it back: Yes following telephone call to Santander

I am still overwhelmed by the settlement amount, but wanted to share my experience as hopefully it will help and encourage others who may be in a similar position.
    After reading advice given by others on the forum, I contacted Santander who had taken over the management of the accounts previously with GE Capital. Spoke to a very helpful chap who took details and sent me a form to complete. I did this, outlining the reasons I believed I had missold, i gave them as much information as possible including previous names, addresses, etc. My cards had been active for about twelve years until I paid the balances in full in approx 2007. I no longer had paperwork but did know the account numbers. Within four weeks I had received an offer, which was broken down into payments, interest etc for each account, and after accepting the offer the money was transferred into my account within 10 days.
    It was so easy to do this, there no need to use a claim company.
    Thank you MSE and Forum users.
  • Holywell
    Options
    Yorkshire bank upheld claim for mis sold ppi to the tune of 25k. They wrote to me in November asking me to contact them as I may have been mis sold ppi. . I made 2 calls to make the complaint and provide the information about my complaint. They have upheld all 10 complaints of mis sold ppi from loans and credit cards over a 20 year period. Go on do it yourself if you believe you were mis sold. In total I have had all complaints upheld by all 4 providers whom I contacted and have received 37k back. I was amazed how easy it was and it is life changing the amounts I have received. I am debt free and a good amount of savings now. Typical that for the first time in my life I have money in the bank and the interest rate is rubbish! Make that phone call or write that letter today don't put it off! :money: thus website is amazing get too and gave me the courage to do all this myself :j:j
  • SteadyEddie
    Options
    I avoided PPI with the exception of Mint, who basically put it on my account and when I asked for it to be removed, they came up with all sorts of compelling arguments why I shouldn't have it removed. I only used the card for early internet and telephone purchases, limiting the credit limit to £500 rarely using it. However, I made a claim against them, because they had convinced me, against my better judgement and protestations, that I needed it. I used Resolver and am extremely pleased to have been successful in being offered £150. Whilst this seems little, it includes interest on the payments I made in early 2000's to current date. It is the principle that I was mis-sold the PPI that I objected to, and, I won. Thank you MSE and Resolver for making me a happy bunny. Oh, and no fee to anyone either. I can smugly rebuff the PPI cold callers in an honest manner. Bonus!:rotfl:
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    I have asked the Santander CS to move my DD source to my other account in non Santander a/c. Previous it was with Santander 123 lite but because the balance of this account is now very low I asked them to move it to non Santander a/c/

I have been asking this since Last December, and I have been assured by two CS in early January and early February this year that it will be taken from my other non Santander a/c/ but I just checked it yesterday, it is still be taken from my Santander 123. I keep busy transferring money from other a/c to this Santander 123 lite. .

I keep transferring money to this 123 a/c because I do not want to get mark for mis payment also because I do not just believe to what they are saying. Shall I did not do that I wio be in red and pay penalty for mis-payment.

Those who knows, preferably those who have dealt with Santander for compensation issue, would you please share your knowledge about Santander attitude to rewards compensation for the case like this..
    Thank you for y our time.

Post this in the Banking sub-forum for better advice. Compensation for a bank error isn't set, I got £25 from the Halifax simply for them missing the fact I paid in 2 cheques through an ATM and they only cashed one and found the second one in the envelope after I rang up a few days later. Major errors could be £100, £150 etc

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    I have asked the Santander CS to move my DD source to my other account in non Santander a/c. Previous it was with Santander 123 lite but because the balance of this account is now very low I asked them to move it to non Santander a/c/

I have been asking this since Last December, and I have been assured by two CS in early January and early February this year that it will be taken from my other non Santander a/c/ but I just checked it yesterday, it is still be taken from my Santander 123. I keep busy transferring money from other a/c to this Santander 123 lite. .

I keep transferring money to this 123 a/c because I do not want to get mark for mis payment also because I do not just believe to what they are saying. Shall I did not do that I wio be in red and pay penalty for mis-payment.

Those who knows, preferably those who have dealt with Santander for compensation issue, would you please share your knowledge about Santander attitude to rewards compensation for the case like this..
    Thank you for y our time.
    It should be noted that the originator controls the bank account it is taken from. Not Santander. The bank can load a monitor on the account to manually move it over next day but until the originator changes the account, the dd will keep being deducted from the old one.

Banks only have control over standing orders.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    It should be noted that the originator controls the bank account it is taken from. Not Santander. The bank can load a monitor on the account to manually move it over next day but until the originator changes the account, the dd will keep being deducted from the old one.

Banks only have control over standing orders.

Sorry for not being Clear the credit Card is Santander Creditcard and I have spoken to the Creditcard CS team.

I have amended it in the original post.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure