PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• Hi all, just want to share my ppi claim experience, 15th January sent off 2 claims to Lloyds and 2 to Barclays for ppi I had on credit cards and a loan, got a phone call from Lloyds on 23rd Jan just to run through my questionare (5min call), got a letter on 13th Feb saying both claims upheld and received £4000 in my account same day, then yesterday got 2 txt messages from barclays stating both complaints upheld and should receive refunds within 10 days ( not sure how much yet) this only took about half hour to complete forms and cost of 4 stamps, absolutely no hassle , Please if you are thinking of claiming DO IT YOURSELF and keep every penny of what you are owed, DONT pay 30% for someone else to post your letter
  • tinker77
    tinker77 Posts: 126 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi just on the off chance I decided to apply for a PPI refund from Natwest for a credit card I have held since 2007. I used the template letter from this website and subsequently within two weeks have an offer of £4,900 from them for miss sold PPI I didn't even know I had and certainly had never had explained to me all those years ago. I am very very happy with the outcome and this will clear my balance on this card that I was struggling to repay due to massive interest and PPI charges.

I can't thank Martin enough I am a very happy bunny today
    This website has changed my life latest win has been PPI reclaim worth £4,900 awarded by RBS
  • steve_swift
    Options
    What is the best method of making a claim. The template letters or the resolver tool i have seen mentioned on here. Or even a combination of the two??
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is the best method of making a claim. The template letters or the resolver tool i have seen mentioned on here. Or even a combination of the two??

Either send in the FOS form to the bank or use Resolver, up to you, doesn't make any difference, they'll contact you if they need any more information
  • JBGN
    Options
    For years I have ummmmed and arrrrrred about claiming......I did in July last year, on a Barclaycard taken out over 30 years ago when I was a student. I called them up direct, gave my details and got the letter back confirming they were looking at it. In August last year I got a letter, accepting my claim and saying they were sorry, they could only look back 21 years but would I accept.........23k !!! It was in my bank within a few days of the letter. To say I was amazed was an understatement - it was made up mostly of compound interest, compensation and penalty charges against Barclaycard - the actual amount of PPi they had taken was relatively small to the payout. I now have a new conservatory thanks to one phone call. I would advise anyone just to give it a go........to add even more icing to the cake - last week I got another letter from Barclaycard apologising again - this time for not sending out correct letters at some point in the history of the card and enclosing another cheque........for 13k again in penalty and compensation!!! Barclaycard seem to be very sorry! In short - GO FOR IT, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Just imagine how pig sick I might've been to use a claim company and to have to give them back 30% of that little apology!
  • GlennTheBaker
    Options
    In January I submitted a complaint to First Direct via Resolver. I had a vague memory of being advised to have PPI on a personal loan with the selling point being a lower interest rate. I can't remember specific dates so just answered what I could. Last week I received a letter stating my complaint had been upheld and I was due a payment of £5500.
    This space has been intentionally left blank
  • terakris
    terakris Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    What were you reclaiming: Loans
    Who was the provider: Egg (now CitiBank) and Halifax
    How much did you get back: £13,642
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: letter/form

I have had PPi out of choice before and knew what I was signing up for, but I knew I had been missold PPI on 2 occasions so put in a complaint about these 2 times it was pushed on me. After digging through my old paperwork I found the loan agreements from the loans in question so I thought now was a good time as I had all the paperwork and account references etc I needed to make this as easy as possible.

Sent forms off to Egg (well CitiBank) and Halifax at the same time.

About a week later on the same day i receive 2 letters, one from each bank. Halifax have confirmed receipt of my complaint and set out the timeline to investigate, the Egg one simply said the complain was upheld and just over £2k will be on its way to me. A week later the cheque arrived! First success.

Just over a month passed hearing nothing from Halifax when I received a text message saying they are nearing the end of their investigation and I'll be contacted shortly regarding their decision. I logged onto my online banking a few days later and to my surprise was a PPI refund for over £11,600! I've not had the breakdown from them yet, so there will be some extra tax to pay on the interest, but thats WAY more than I thought I would get.

I did all this myself, spending no more than an hour filling out 2 forms. Its so easy, I recommend anyone that has been missold PPI in the past to do it all yourself, its simple and pain free to do.
    14/12/2009 - Official Debt Free Day
    31/06/2012 - Officially a home owner! Now, where is that Mortgage-Free Wannabe Board... :cool:
    "What the hell is that?" "I don't know, but if cats could sing... they'd hate it too"
  • Jemima1
    Options
    What were you reclaiming? PPI on personal loans from a subsidiary of Clydesdale Bank dating back 20 years (14 loans in total including loans which included repayment of existing loans).
    How much did you get back:
    £17 850!!!!
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the ombudsman?
    I made a telephone call in response to a letter from the bank.

I'm rubbish with forms to the pint of phobia, and my last loan was 7 years ago. The bank wrote to me saying they thought I may have been missold PPI on two loans, the reference numbers of which they provided (but no other info) and a long form to fill in if I wanted to claim including asking me for details of what I had borrowed the loans for etc. As I have literally no admin left regarding any loans I put the letter away. Encouraged by friends I phoned the bank on the number provided last month, told them about the way PPI was routinely added to my loan applications without proper consultation (and on one occasion I questioned it to be told they don't like to lend without PPI). I was also never told that the PPI was sold on a credit agreement basis with the right to cancel within the statutory cooling down period. The guy I. The other end was helpful but made it clear I had to instruct him what to do (they can't advise you what to do): so I instructed him to investigate ALL loans I had ever had from the bank on the basis of my experience of having been missold. He said he'd pass it to investigators and that they would probably ring me to clarify details. In the end they didn't ring me and yesterday I got a letter offering me £17 850 compensation for 11 upheld PPI complaints! Prepaid envelope provided for me to send signed acceptance form.
    DO NOT BE AFRAID to approach your lender: it's easy, and you've nothing to lose by trying. Good luck.
  • Letssaveit
    Options
    What were you reclaiming: PPI on credit card
    Who was the provider: Yorkshire Bank
    How much did you get back: £10,000

I initially complained in 2012, only to have my claim dismissed, stating I did not pay PPI. I knew I did, but had no evidence to back up my claim so did not persue the matter further. I was then contacted in August 2016 by the bank to say they were reinvestigating my original complaint. My initial thought was "fantastic" but I tried not to get my hopes up. Out of the blue last week I got a letter stating they are now upholding my original claim to the tune of ten thousand pounds. Its taken four years, but I eventually got a positive result. Thank you MSE for pointing us all in the right direction
  • pears23
    pears23 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cogsy1983 wrote: »
    Hi, just an update on success's:

Yes Car Credit/DAF - £1000 paid Feb 2010
    MBNA - £175 - Paid Jan 2010
    MBNA - £155 - paid Jan 2010
    HSBC - waiting
    Ocean Finance - £3657 Paid Apr 2010 (Mum's account)
    MBNA (husbands) - £176 - paid Apr 2010
    MBNA /VIRGIN (Husbands) - waiting
    Capital One (Husbands) - waiting
    Ocean/LMC - waiting

Hi please can you give some insight on how you managed to get ££ from YCC/ DAF
    Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure