Free mobile voice, text and data plans coming to UK ( Freedompop )

Options

Comments

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This service has existed in the USA for 3 years so I had a peek at the Android app reviews. The first handful or reviews did not bode well.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freedompop.ott&hl=en
    If Freedompop can't get the service right, and if their SIM means you can't make reliable normal call then they're not going to get any revenue generating customers in the UK.
    Has anyone in the UK managed to get a data only service to work on a tablet?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Data works fine on an android phone. I can't see why it wouldn't work on a tablet.
    ====
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    I received the SIM and did not install the app.

I disabled all the paid addons and auto top up. I shouldn't be charged anything, but just in case, I replaced my card details with an empty prepaid card.

Voice calls and data work, but SMS doesn't. Call charging appears to be by the second. Now that I know how they operate, this is understandable. I won't bother with the app and just use the minutes and data. If I need SMS, I'll just pay 2p with my regular Three SIM
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    itwiz,I was one step away from where you are now,and had a feeling that maybe not.I think it might not be as good as it seems.
  • MikeWhite
    MikeWhite Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    zerog wrote: »
    I received the SIM and did not install the app.

I disabled all the paid addons and auto top up. I shouldn't be charged anything, but just in case, I replaced my card details with an empty prepaid card.

Voice calls and data work, but SMS doesn't. Call charging appears to be by the second. Now that I know how they operate, this is understandable. I won't bother with the app and just use the minutes and data. If I need SMS, I'll just pay 2p with my regular Three SIM

Odd, I thought you needed the "FreedomPop Premium Voice" to be able to call in any way other than voip?
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pending results from Customer Service, I inserted my SIM into another smartphone.

Preliminary info: it worked to make and receive calls on wi-fi at home. Making a call away from home worked, but call quality was poor.

According to the app, Premium Voice is activated. I didn't do it. Website still shows Premium Voice as an unactivated option. I'm trying to find out more.
  • secretmsg
    secretmsg Posts: 230 Forumite
    Options
    If you are not happy with the service ,Contact number is 01138870823 and ask for refund. Few mates done got refund without any issues.

I tried the sim on my tablet and data works fine but not able to install the app for calls & text.

Never got 4g signals so far but only using it for Whatsapp on tablet.The day when i ordered only paid £2 , but tried the next day and price gone up, what i think for beta it should be free for testers.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 October 2015 at 4:49AM
    Options
    Is anyone else still waiting for a SIM card, two weeks after the order?

I sent in a query when they might despatch it. Two days later they replied asking me to check my address. I said I'd given the correct address, the issue was they hadn't yet despatched the SIM, as shown in the account.

I got an auto-response saying they don't recognise my email address, so please change my email address by logging in, via a link, which turned out to be the custhelp platform. I can't log in as it doesn't recognise me.

So I've sent a new query, making it clearer that it's non-despatch not non-delivery I'm asking about.
  • Roger1
    Options
    Roger1 wrote: »
    According to the app, Premium Voice is activated. I didn't do it. Website still shows Premium Voice as an unactivated option. I'm trying to find out more.
    Response from CS:
    About the Premium Voice, As a bonus for signing up Freedompop service during the launch, we provide service for free for a month, which will automatically removed after the first billing cycle and you will not be charged.
  • Roger1
    Options
    Roger1 wrote: »
    I used the website to ask a question about international rates (can I call a Swiss mobile (not included in the international plans, just Swiss landlines), is roaming offered) and had no response.
    I also e-mailed CS and have this response:
    For International plan, if the country you will be calling list in a landline its only landline; if you tempt to call the mobile number on that country it will not go through.If you wish to call a Swiss mobile it will not push through.
    FWIW, I'd use the monthly international plan, from £0.99, if all countries included landlines and mobiles. When some are landline only, this introduces an unwelcome confusion, so I'll contine with 18185 from home and Skype from mobile.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure