MSE News: Major price hikes coming for TalkTalk broadband, TV & home phone customers

Options

Comments

• olip74
    olip74 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    basmiles wrote: »
    I'd also welcome any advice about whether TalkTalk will refund line rental paid in advance. I'm fed up of their price rises and poor service. However with 6 months of pre-paid line rental unused am I trapped despite the price increase.

Thanks for any advice before I take TalkTalk 'customer service' on!
    Found this on their Web site, I'd say not entirely clear but it would appear you get a credit or a refund:
    Will I get any refund if I cancel my
    Value Line Rental?

The one-off Value Line Rental charge is non-refundable, so if you decide to cancel it we won't be able to offer you a credit or refund for any unused value line rental.

If you're leaving TalkTalk, we'll apply a credit for any unused value line rental to your final bill. Please wait until you've received this bill before requesting a refund.

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/value-line-rental-0

My line rental is up in July so I could probably leave and still be up but the SIMO deal is the best around so I might just suck it up for another year and then ditch and switch.
  • Howard_Ino
    Howard_Ino Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks.

I just read through that and decided to call them.
    Told them that being only 28 days into a contract and them raising the prices was offensive especially as theyre currently offering it free.
    They have given offered it me free and I only pay for line rental so I went with that.
    My experience of talktalk has been positive, I know they get slated on here, its been fast and reliable so Im happy to stay. Lets hope I dont end up eating my words and regretting this.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Howard_Ino wrote: »
    Thanks.

I just read through that and decided to call them.
    Told them that being only 28 days into a contract and them raising the prices was offensive especially as theyre currently offering it free.
    They have given offered it me free and I only pay for line rental so I went with that.
    My experience of talktalk has been positive, I know they get slated on here, its been fast and reliable so Im happy to stay. Lets hope I dont end up eating my words and regretting this.

I agree with you on the slating of TT
    They do make mistakes but, with myself at least, they do ensure that financial losses are compensated for.....
    (They paid for BT to reset my fibre connection) - and since then - 100% reliability !
    Besides - what are BT charges increasing to ?
  • olip74
    olip74 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Totting it all up, it was going to cost around £300 to stay with TalkTalk for the next 12 months on Essentials TV. In the end I called them and got changed to Simply BB, free for 12 months, but a new 18 month contract. So basically I just need to pay the line rental for the next year, around £180.

We can get catch up services on our Smart TV so the YouView box isn't much use to us (apart from the time-shift function) and will go back in a bag. And by staying with TalkTalk I can keep my SIMO deal.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,179 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 May 2015 at 10:56AM
    Options
    Just called TT and I got straight through to the UK-based loyalty team by using the word "cancellation" to their speech computer.

They offered me 12 months retention discount, taking me below what I'm paying at the moment: £29.45 down to £26.75 (for unlimited fibre BB and phone line rental).

I probably could have got something slightly better from Plusnet, and I had a cold-call from EE a couple of weeks ago, but I really don't want the hassle of changing.
  • jerryd
    jerryd Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure I can leave without penalty if I've paid for 12 months line rental upfront.
    I'm working on it !
  • Susan1942
    Susan1942 Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I too am a Talk Talk customer since June of 2014 I had been with AOL and was happy with them but when I spoke to Aol last year they talked me into changing to Talk Talk with several offers The gave me phone rental free for a year plus a credit of £25 off my bill
    I agreed to change and paid Broadband at £3 50 Anytime phone calls was £5 increased to £7 50pm and also international calls for £3 50 which increased to £5 some months ago
    My contract is now almost up and given these proposed increases I am considering leaving TT I have had problems with the Internet connection dropping numerous over the weekend. The charge for the 0845 and 0870 now makes it all look less attractive I have no idea off who I should change to but the most important thing would be having to change my email address I would welcome some advice Sue
  • elaine241
    elaine241 Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well as it was a wet afternoon I decided to haggle with my broadband and TV providers as I was out of contract on one and the other was due to expire.

I am with Talk Talk for calls and line rental and broadband. I have haggled to get free broadband , line rental for £180.36 for the year (£15.03 mth) and £100 credit on my account which brings my total for the year to £80.36 or £6.70 a month. It is a 18 month contract and after a year the line rental will go up to £16.70 if I do not contact them ad re haggle. If you pay for line rental up front for a year and cancel after the remaining 6 months of your contract they refund the remaining paid line rental. Feel quite chuffed!

"Big Al says dogs can't look up!"
  • talk2frank
    talk2frank Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Talktalk as usual talking rubbish. They say they have improved services but mine has gotten worse, additionally broadband hubs are managed by bt not talktalk so thwy have not improved anything, even if thwy paid bt to improve anything this has certainly not happened with me. I also do not use the tv so I cant see how they can justify a double the price of my current simply broadband package! They have also imcreased the prices for people on cheaper packages at a higher rate which is disgusting!
  • Susan1942
    Susan1942 Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I talked to them on Friday and they tell me that from the last time they increased the anytime calls from £5 to £7 50 and the international calls from £3 50 to £5 they are giving me Broadband free I remember this but thought that this had expired Apparently I will not have increase until then My contract is up on 16th June but as I have the free broadband until Dec so no increase for me at the moment I have been told to speak to them again in Dec and that they will do me a deal I will wait and see
    I don't know if this is true but they also said that I can call mobile no's on my telephone plan Do you think this is correct He tells me it is but t his is the first time anyone has ever mentioned this
    Could anyone let me know please Thanks Sue
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport