The 'May The Force Be With You' Magical Eurovision NSD Challenge!

Options

Comments

• fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Apologies, a little late for May joining in, life is quite busy now.

I would like to set a target of 20 NSD for May and yesterday was NSD 1
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • marmiterulesok
    marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Oh yes! May I slip on my best Mrs Doyle overall and join the madness?

Of course you can join us!Welcome Pollygarter! :hello:

Remember,you decide on the rules.Have a look at post #2 on the front page.It gives lots of helpful tips.I would say that a fair few of us have allowed spends ie milk,bread,petrol,dds,prescriptions....

My reason for doing the challenge is to curb my dreadful impulse buying spendy ways.I also have a budget for most things,and,as long as I stay within budget,then a spend is not counted.

I can see why having three teenage children can make saving the pennies tricky.Have you thought about posting on the 'Family' board about how others deal with the (presumably) endless requests?

Have you thought of having a 'treats' fund,which might make your children more focused on something they would really enjoy?

Are you thinking of the Holy Stone episode?
    I love the one where Mrs Doyle tries one of her own sandwiches to make sure they're ok to eat,and looks very distressed before saying they're fine with a big,beaming smile.
  • Elliesmum
    Elliesmum Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you Elliesmum.Ah,you've got us sussed all right.I would go as far to say 'totally bonkers'. :rotfl:

Now,we have a teensy weensy problemo here.We are out of coffee cups.Igor wants to know if he can serve your drink in one of his lovingly restored,'family heirloom' antique spittoons?! :eek:
    It's not as bad as it sounds,honestly.He also keeps his pilchard and mad ferret vindaloo curry leftovers in a chamberpot under his bed.

Bringing your own snacks and drinks - very MSE.I applaud you! :T:T:T

Ps today will be spendy,after all,though an allowed spend,as I have run out of bananas.

Errrr a spittoon, maybe I'll bring my own cup?

lol. EM xx
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato ;) Make £2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = £1626.25/£2018 :j
  • Elliesmum
    Elliesmum Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Of course you can join us!Welcome Pollygarter! :hello:

Are you thinking of the Holy Stone episode?
    I love the one where Mrs Doyle tries one of her own sandwiches to make sure they're ok to eat,and looks very distressed before saying they're fine with a big,beaming smile.

I'm a reasonable Mrs Doyle cup of tea imitator, having far too many teapots and cups :p

I do like a cup of tea :)

EM xx
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato ;) Make £2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = £1626.25/£2018 :j
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Having had a little talk with myself (something I have a lot of practice at with being a parent :D) I've decided I have one additional allowable expenditure until the end of June - though it's not really an expenditure....

Icel@nd (or at least my local one) have an offer running, whereby if you load any amount to your bonus card (even 1p) you get a raffle ticket for a 'luxury hamper'. I decided that odds are that even if I won it I wouldn't eat half the stuff in it, but it's got to be worth a try. So I've started nipping up there on a daily basis for an allowable item (DS1's milk, or a ready meal to go into the freezer for him to take to work, or today was the potatoes for tea tonight) and putting the change to the next 10p (normally 1p, but today was 5p) onto my bonus card.

The reason I've decided this is allowable is because the money will be on my card for me to spend at a later today (by the end of June I should just about have enough to cover one pizza or ready meal or 4pt of milk, but it can be used as part payment anyway), so it's not as if I'm actually any worse off - it's just like moving it into a different bank account ;)

I does (however) mean I may not get many (if any) total NSDs until July :eek: I've not yet asked if I can load small change onto it without buying anything, but if I can (and do) then that would class as a bank account move and give me a total NSD as long as I didn't spend anywhere else.

Yesterday was a spend day (direct debits)
    No declaring today yet, as bobbing down to the shops (for my second trip) after OH arrives as he wants a couple of bits from A!di.
    Cheryl
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    cw I think if you put money on a card, or draw money from an account for spending another day, then it is fair to count the day you drew the money out/ loaded the card as the spend day, and not count it on the day you use it. If that makes sense. Well it does on Planet Nargle anyway.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Nargleblast
    Options
    Pollygarter I also am afflicted with two NSD saboteurs, they are my OH and my DS. You wouldn't believe this but as soon as I buy food whoosh! There it was, gone! The cats are just as bad.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It's not using the card that I've talked myself into allowing (that'll depend on whether I spend it on allowable goods or junk food). It's the actual loading of the card I'm allowing, as I've decided it's like a transfer between my bank accounts in that the money is still available for me to spend and my overall combined 'bank balance' isn't actually dropping because of it.

I count days I spend on household bills, presents, junk food, DVDs etc as spend days, even if I use cash from my purse. If all I do on a day is take money out of the bank and put it into my purse, then that's a no spend day.
    Cheryl
  • Nargleblast
    Options
    Aha, a fiendishly cunning plan indeed! I have to say, cw I am totally in awe of all your spreadsheet thing, I could not be that disciplined - although I do balance my bank account and allocate funds to different areas of spending. I am one of these sad people that much prefers food shopping to clothes or shoes shopping.
  • Nargleblast
    Options
    Hubert, it is over the first one, under the next two then dos y dos with the next person. That way you end up with the maypole ribbons forming a lacey cobwebs pattern. No, Igor, you put your left leg in there, your right leg out there.....Igor and Chef, stop doing the Hokey Cokey, this is not a time for messing about! You realise we are doing the Maypole Dance display tomorrow??????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport