The 'May The Force Be With You' Magical Eurovision NSD Challenge!

Options
marmiterulesok
marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
edited 26 May 2015 at 9:55PM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
Hello eager fellow penny pinchers.Alas,the month of May is almost here.Where does the time go?

After a very highbrow and cultured Shakespearian tribute month,we are going to change gear and celebrate the glorious month of May with a fab Eurovision theme.The dates are:

SEMI-FINALS
19 & 21 MAY 2015

GRAND FINAL
23 MAY 2015

1zlrs41.jpgalp2yu.jpg1zlrs41.jpg14se71c.jpg34ypstk.jpg14se71c.jpg1zlrs41.jpgalp2yu.jpg

So,get your maracas,tin whistles and recorders out,start practising your favourite songs in the shower,have a twirl in front of the mirror,start pouting and let your hairbrush be your microphone.Yes,we are looking for the next British winner! :j:j

Oh,and by the by,we are hoping to nab as many nsds as is possible. :money:

Personally,I play a mean triangle,and am considered a virtuoso by [STRIKE]some[STRIKE][/STRIKE][/STRIKE] many. ;)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Some slightly strange superstitions for May:
The month of May was considered an unlucky month particularly for getting married
Never buy a broom in May or wash blankets
Cats born this month will not be good rodent catchers and, even worse, will bring snakes into the home

And some interesting dates:
1 May - May Day (and an excuse to dance around a maypole causing mayhem )
6 May - Roger Bannister ran a mile in less than four minutes (this one’s for Cheryl)
9 May - Captain Blood attempted to steal the crown jewels
12 May - jodles16 and Florence Nightingale's birthday
18 May - the first Wimpy Bar opened in London
29 May - Oak Apple Day (there are some very strange customs associated with this day )
and, ending on a happy note
30 May - Joan of Arc was burned at the stake (sorry, I couldn’t find anything more cheerful for this day, the other alternative was the death of King Arthur).

The fascinating facts and dates of May were posted by own very own spoon from a post in 2011.Thanks spoon!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Feel free to join us.We have lots of fun activities planned.More of that later...For those of you who are new to the challenge,we are a happy (and some might say mildly insane) bunch doing battle with those retailers - and there’s plenty of temptation out there at the moment. We are seriously committed to saving money, but nobody said it can't be done with a smile on your face - so we organize riotous nights out and gatecrash any function going - all without leaving the comfort of our own imaginations or armchairs!

On a slightly more serious note, we are here to help each other avoid spending for the number of days we feel we can manage to try to take back some control over our hard-earned money. What you class as a "spend'" is entirely your choice; some people will try to shop on the days DD/SO etc are paid, whilst others will not include essentials such as rent. Have a look for a post from our sponsor (and godmother of this challenge) BigMummaF, this contains some guidelines and ideas for starting you off on the challenge.

It’s amazing how inventive you get when you’re determined NOT to spend - from weird menu ingredients to surprising DIY solutions - but you know what? 99% of the time those wacky ideas work.

Just remember that mentioning the F word (f-a-i-l!) is not allowed,and anyone who dares speak the word which must not be spoken will find himself in a spot of bother with our toothy bouncer Shawnie boy.
ioeyk9.jpg

If you're new to the forum,click here to read the Intro Guide.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

We're hoping to see lots of new faces this month,so don't be shy!

PS I'm usually a modest lass,but I just have to add that The NSD Challenge is the best of the bunch! ;) :cool: :j

Comments

• marmiterulesok
    edited 26 May 2015 at 9:58PM
    Options
    Some helpful suggestions and ideas to follow below from our sponsor and godmother, BigMummaF :A

NO SPEND CHALLENGE.

1. Have a good, long think about what YOU want to include in your Spend & Excluded categories.
    Some of us count everything from Direct Debits & school expenses, while others do not include things like essential Bills or emergency medical costs. If you plan what is or is not a Spend for you now, it will help you decide on a realistic Target.
    2. It is NOT a race!
    We all have very different demands on our time & bank balance, so please do not think you have to buy everything on 1st January & make it last till 31st December! A few of us have been following this Challenge for a long...long...LONG time so have developed plans & ploys to help us along the way wink2.gif
    3. Most important of all, WE..DO..NOT..FAIL!
    Sometimes we can't quite reach our Target, but that is fine :) Everyone knows how Life will try to trip us up, & that is when you will find us here to help you back on to your feet.

OK, an idea of how some of us do things.
    1. What you will or will not include as a 'Spend'.
    Some people are doing other challenges too, & don't include the money spent on those for this one.
    Some will try to shop for other bits on the days their direct debits etc go out of their bank accounts; they're the real hard core of the bunch sport-smiley-003.gif & have been l-o-n-g time NSDers so don't panic :p
    Some won't count those annoying last minute demands from school & collections as you can't plan for them in advance, likewise emergency prescriptions or visits to the vet :(
    Personally speaking & providing I don't buy anything else, I don't count parking for hospital appointments.(..but then I usually do my shopping because I'm already out :whistle:)
    General thoughts on €bay sales is the buyer has paid P&P so no cost to you :D
    2. It takes Time to reach mega-numbers!
    The First suggestion is the first, because a bit of planning will work wonders on your road to your Target. Have a look at thefirst posts each month for a hefty list of other threads that may be of help. For example, there's a few giving ideas for packed lunches so you can avoid standing in the queue at the bakers for 45mins of your lunch hour! A good incentive to tweak your healthy eating & the pounds you save will show in your bank balance AND your waistline action-smiley-076.gif
    It helps to have various 'money pots' for the different costs that happen like Scouts, dinner money, yoga, window cleaner etc etc. The idea is you "spend" all that money in one hit by..:think:..
    let's say **putting the week's bus fares into the pretty coffee jar, Jo's tumble tots [Weds mornings] in the cracked teapot & Ben's £1 coin for the gym locker [Friday lunch] in the pocket of the changing bag, on Tuesdays every week when you've got some change from doing the food shop, so an already spendy day. At least four 'spending days' condensed into one ;) (**mine's jam jars for windows, milkman & a bit towards the bills!)
    3. Any day the money stays in your pocket is a bonus!
    If you look at it as a day you beat the system, you can't help but :j so don't fret it--ENJOY! If nothing else in here, we do manage find something to make us smile :D

We have virtual outings to wonderful places that never cost us a bean :rotfl:New York, Edinburgh & Brighton have been a couple & nargle usually pilots the Tardis but you can use your own transport; my personal favourite has been a sit-on lawn mower borrowed from the cricket club :D The only thing to be aware of is Hubert the donkey who is partial to anything remotely edible but is not yet house-trained :o

And Remember;
    there are no silly questions, so don't be afraid to ask us anything!
  • marmiterulesok
    edited 31 May 2015 at 6:46PM
    Options
    So,here are the fabulous prizes:

First target 2el5a92.jpg

Second target ngtu0x.jpg

Third target xpocpg.jpg

Fourth target 14acw2u.jpg

Target exceeded 5m01gj.jpg

Consolation prize 1zlrs41.jpg
  • marmiterulesok
    edited 31 May 2015 at 10:22PM
    Options
    Post your target and I'll add you to the list.

marmiterulesok 21/21 achieved! 2el5a92.jpg2nd target 25/25 achieved! ngtu0x.jpg
    Target exceeded 26/25 achieved! 5m01gj.jpg

Knit Witch 10/10 achieved! 2el5a92.jpg2nd target 15/15 achieved! ngtu0x.jpg 3rd target 20/20 achieved! xpocpg.jpg

4th target 25/25 achieved! 14acw2u.jpgTarget exceeded 29/25 achieved! 5m01gj.jpg

Samiszel 15/15 achieved! 2el5a92.jpg2nd target 18/18 achieved! ngtu0x.jpg

Target exceeded19/18 achieved! 5m01gj.jpg

Nargleblast 18/18 achieved! 2el5a92.jpg

Azzzaa 0/18

Doris17 2/10

Gem-gem 15/15 achieved! 2el5a92.jpg2nd target 16/18

cheexy 15/15 achieved! 2el5a92.jpg2nd target 18/18 achieved! ngtu0x.jpg3rd target 20/20 achieved! xpocpg.jpgTarget exceeded 21/20 achieved! 5m01gj.jpg

Frugal_life 6/10

Maybe_its_because 7/9 1zlrs41.jpg

Hoipolloi 18/18 achieved! IMGTarget exceeded 22/18 achieved! 5m01gj.jpg

stripeyjumpergirl 10/10 achieved! 2el5a92.jpg

scotmumof3 15/15 achieved! 2el5a92.jpg2nd target 20/20 achieved! ngtu0x.jpg

gothrockchic1 12/12 achieved! 2el5a92.jpgTarget exceeded 13/12 achieved! 5m01gj.jpg

zenshi 15/15 achieved! 2el5a92.jpgTarget exceeded 18/15 achieved! 5m01gj.jpg

jodles16 16/16 achieved! 2el5a92.jpg2nd target 19/20

cw16 13/15

Aphidgirl 10/10 achieved! 2el5a92.jpg

butterfly2507 10/10 achieved! 2el5a92.jpgTarget exceeded 27/10 achieved! 5m01gj.jpg

donna dynamo 11/15 1zlrs41.jpg

Elliesmum 10/10 achieved! 2el5a92.jpg2nd target 13/13 achieved! ngtu0x.jpg

DFF 5/10

slowlyfading 16/23

fedupandskint 20/20 achieved! 2el5a92.jpg2nd target 23/23 ngtu0x.jpg

Pollygarter 5/5 achieved! 2el5a92.jpg2nd target 9/9 achieved! ngtu0x.jpg

Seaotter 8/10 1zlrs41.jpg

muffin man 7 8/10

havecourageandbekind 0/15

IrishRose12 15/20

aliama 2/15

DeafLeopard 5/15

Munchin 4/5
  • marmiterulesok
    edited 29 May 2015 at 12:06PM
    Options
    Post your target and I'll add you to the list.

The prize is a Maypole dance,of course!

1568q4g.jpg

marmiterulesok 4 1568q4g.jpg7 1568q4g.jpg10 1568q4g.jpg

Knit Witch 51568q4g.jpg6 1568q4g.jpg14 1568q4g.jpg

Samiszel 3 1568q4g.jpg4 1568q4g.jpg 5 1568q4g.jpg

Gem-gem 5

cheexy 5 1568q4g.jpg5 1568q4g.jpg5 1568q4g.jpg

Maybe_its_because 3 1568q4g.jpg

scotmumof3 3 1568q4g.jpg

gothrockchic1 3 1568q4g.jpg

cw18 5

aliama 3

DeafLeopard 3

muffin man 7 5 1568q4g.jpg
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    Link to April thread.
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My usual starter of 10 and 5 in a row please!
    Must use my stash up!
  • Samiszel
    Samiszel Posts: 610 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Put me down for 15 NSD and 3 in-a-row please :D
    Letting Go NST #17
    NSD 1/15; LTW 0/9; budget £0/£250; food £5.20/£120; steps 0/31
    Make £10 per day in Oct: £30/£310

Mortgage: £214,702.15
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hooray, hooray, it's the merry merry month of May - we are all busy practising our maypole dancing for the Mayday celebrations, and then rehearsals will start for Eurovision. I hear Cheffie is writing the Swedish entry ( full of borks and chickies, no doubt) - I don't have the heart to tell him he's too late, the songs have already been chosen. And Igor says he is doing backing vocals on his country's song. Don't know whether that is a good thing or not.

Anyway, put me down for a glorious 18 NSDs if you please!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Azzzaa
    Azzzaa Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 26 April 2015 at 2:42PM
    Options
    Morning all, could you please put me down for 18 NSD too!! As it's a long 5 week month for me before i get paid again this will really test my patience and skills!
    Documenting my journey from full time support worker to full time eBay reseller :)
  • Doris17
    Doris17 Posts: 664 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 26 April 2015 at 5:09PM
    Options
    Hello
    Could you put me down for 10 NSD please as this will be my first month.
    Doris.x

"Make Everyday Count"

#77 3-6 Months Emergency Fund £2528.11/£5000

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills