PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preserving chillies?

Options

Comments

• overlykeensaver
    Options
    Robothell wrote: »
    I pickle them.

Boil up white wine vinegar, sugar, some coriander seed and a few bay leaves. Slice the chillis vertically after rolling them between your hands to lossen the seeds. Deseed with a spoon and rinse with boiling water to clear the last of the seeds out. Then pack them into a sterile jar and pour the vinegar over. Leave them about two weeks before either using them in recipes as you would normal chillis or eating them with a few beers.

Mmmmm pickled chilli :D- what are they like eaten out of the jar? Are they hot or sweet or ???
  • rsdiscos
    rsdiscos Posts: 816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bought a bottle before starting my os money saving. Ihaven't got a recipe but the main ingredients are chilli's garlic sugar and water. It has the consistancy of a sugar syrup with chilli and garlic bits in it . It is yummy!!
    rsdisco's wife
    Plan to PAD Everyday 2024
    Credit Card - £3662.99 (int free to 11/11/25) -
    PAD Totals
    Jan 2024 -
  • lka200
    lka200 Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know what i can do with a glut of chillies?
    Ive got loads from the plants in my greenhouse and will never use them all at once.
    Can you preserve them in any way..maybe olive oil?
    Is it possible to dry them out or something
    Thanks
    lucy x
    #440 sealed pot challenge
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,331 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Chop them up and freeze in usable quantities.
    I have lovely crop coming along on my patio and am planning to do just this.

Oystercatcher
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • lka200
    lka200 Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    Great idea oystercatcher thanks.
    Do you take the seeds out first?
    Lucy
    #440 sealed pot challenge
  • charting
    Options
    Hi Ika200,
    I make a chillie sauce.

250gm chillies
    1 tablespoon ginger
    750ml white vinegar
    6 cloves of garlic
    2-3 teaspoons of salt
    3 cups of sugar
    300gm saltanas (golden ones are best as the sauce remains red)
    De-seed chillies (wear gloves!!)

Put everything in a pan and simmer - 20 mins or until everything is soft.
    Pass through a blender (sieve and reblend if you want)

Store in sterilised bottles, I make enough to last until the next harvest.

(I have already posted this in the chillie growing thread)

Hope this helps
  • sunshine6650
    Options
    We have a great 'chilli olive oil' It was made for my OH birthday. It has whole chillis,chopped chillis, garlic cloves...in one of those vac bottle (stopper things?) we left it a couple months before using it & give it good shake when we do it is great!
    2010 is my DO IT year! grow own bits,savvy shopping,organised!!Get a hobby!!! be fit!! be happy!!
    Saving all change & paying off debts!!
    constantly looking to save money!!! all help needed!!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi lka,

There's an earlier thread with lots of suggestions for preserving chillies so I've added your thread to it to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lka200 wrote: »
    Can you preserve them in any way..maybe olive oil?

It's not advisable to preserve chillies in olive oil for any length of time as it can cause problems.

Taken from the Food Standards Agency website:

Is it safe to make my own flavoured oils at home using herbs?

Lots of different types of flavoured oil are available in the shops, containing garlic, peppercorns, chilli and various herbs including rosemary, oregano and bay leaves, and these often have a long shelf life. But it's not a good idea to make flavoured oils at home unless you are going to use them immediately.

This is because plants, including herbs and spices, can carry spores produced by bacteria. Occasionally, they could carry spores of a type of bacteria called Clostridium botulinum, which can cause botulism. This is a very unpleasant disease, which is rare in the UK, but can be fatal.

Clostridium botulinum multiplies in places without any oxygen, so if there are spores on plants such as herbs and garlic, putting them in oil can create the right conditions for the bacteria to multiply, particularly if the herbs are fresh or wet.

Companies that produce flavoured oils and foods preserved in oil are expected to take Clostridium botulinum into account and formulate their products to make sure that this type of bacteria doesn't multiply.

Even though recipes for flavoured oils can be found in cookery books, magazines and websites, these might not have considered the risk of botulism. So if you would like to make your own flavoured oil, the safest option is to make a small quantity and use it on the day you have made it. If you have some oil left over, put it in the fridge straight away and use it within a week. Some oils can go cloudy or become solid in the fridge, but if this happens don't be tempted to leave it at room temperature, because this might not be safe.

Pink
  • M.E.
    M.E. Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had some very hot chillies which I gently simmered in oil for about half an hour, killing any spores, bugs etc. Strained the oil into a small bottle.
    We use it very sparingly on pizzas and rice. IT IS HOT.
    Makes a good bruscietta too... if you add only a drop or two!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure