PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preserving chillies?

Comments

• Is there are thread about what to do about the correct way to freeze chillis? I couldn't seem to find it but its probably just me.

I have loads to freeze

Thanks
  • I chop them and put them in tubs, freeze them, them just take them out as and when I need them.
  • I chop them and put them in tubs, freeze them, them just take them out as and when I need them.

Thanks Sarah

Do you blanche them before hand?
  • Can you dry supermarket chillies?
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can dry any chillis - just wash them and leave them somewhere dry and warm, or thread them onto a piece of string or thread and hang them up to dry. I have a tupperware tub in my freezer where I freeze chillis and herbs in little bags, and then I can just take them out when I need them. It's a great way to take advantage of reduced chillies and herbs at the supermarket!
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    What cracking ideas, I never have chillis in when I need them....no excuse now.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Di
    Di Posts: 324 Forumite
    as chudies said.

husband absolute chillie freak and any going spare (he buys a lot) goes in a bottle with olive oil. this keeps a long time and can be used to flavour stir fries, grilled chicken (drizzle over) oohh lots, even as a salad dressing. i have to say though, that some chillies get forgotten in the door of the fridge and when discovered, they're dry ... bonus :j
  • Maxjessdru
    Maxjessdru Posts: 178 Forumite
    I have loads of chilis which have ripen all at once so I was just wondering if anyone else had any ideas for preserving them. I have done an online search but only seem to come up with chili oil/vinegar which is not what I want. I thought of either blanching them whole and then freezing, or alternatively preserving them in olive oil. Anybody tried either method? thanks
  • vivaladiva
    vivaladiva Posts: 2,425 Forumite
    What about chili jam?
    (I've only heard of it - don't ask me for a recipe :confused:.)
    I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    I don't bother blanching them, I just wash them and stick them in the freezer and pull them out then I need them. It doesn't seem to affect the flavour at all, although they are a bit softer when they defrost (I only use them in cooking anyway so this doesn't bother me.

I once made preserved roasted peppers in oil, by charring peppers over a gas flame and then peeling them, packing them into sterilised jars and covering them with oil. You could probably do the same with chillis although it would be very tedious!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure