PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preserving chillies?

Comments

• I chopped up all my chilli's last year and put them in the freezer so they we there ready to pop into whatever I was cooking.
  • Hi, I slice mine and then freeze them on a tray so I have chillis all year round.
    It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
  • Still using some of mine from two years ago - used all I could while the plant was still going fresh, then left them all to dry on the plant. Just stored them in a surplus pestle and mortar thing - no lid and still fantastic
  • can anyone tell me if you can freeze whole chillies and if so how?
    olympic challenge week 6 = $414.70:j
    slowly slowly REBEL NO. 21
  • FTB83
    FTB83 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi diamondcatz

My Mum grows chillis every year and freezes what she doesn't use. She normally just washes and dries them thoroughly, then pops them on a small tray spaced apart and pops them in the freezer. Once they're frozen, she pops them all into a bag and back in the freezer. Apparently it stops them all from sticking together and makes them easier to use when you just want one or two.

Hope this helps.
  • Don'tskipit
    Don'tskipit Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Hi diamondcatz,
    I do the same as FTB83's mum. If you've grown your own, or bought fresh ones, you can also dry them.

Most varieties will eventually dry on the plant, or pick them when ripe and let them dry on a sunny windowsill - that's if we get any more sun! When thouroughly dry store in an airtight container.

Save some seeds to sow next spring. I'm a chilliholic!!
    :grouphug: A smile, a 'please' and a 'thank you' cost nothing

• bltchef
    bltchef Posts: 292 Forumite
    i chop mine with or without seeds with a little oil and place in a jar or you could make this sweet chilli sauce 5oz sugar 10 floz water zest of 1 lime 4oz chillies seeded and finely chopped 6 fresh mint finely choped leaves boil sugar & water till dissolved.add lime zest and chillies remove from heat when cool before stiring in the mint leaves
  • bargainbetty
    bargainbetty Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I know it's not freezing, but if you have loads, get a bottle of cheap olive oil, shred a few and then push them in to steep in the oil. Chilli oil, great on pasta, dipping bread, salads, anything really!

It gives vodka a really spicy kick too..... yum
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • Don'tskipit
    Don'tskipit Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    bltchef wrote:
    i chop mine with or without seeds with a little oil and place in a jar or you could make this sweet chilli sauce 5oz sugar 10 floz water zest of 1 lime 4oz chillies seeded and finely chopped 6 fresh mint finely choped leaves boil sugar & water till dissolved.add lime zest and chillies remove from heat when cool before stiring in the mint leaves

Thanks btlchef.
    Think I'll try your recipe 'cos my plants have yielded loads this year. Will make a few changes though - have to leave seeds in, can't see the point of deseeding chillies, and must have garlic!
    I always buy 'First World' Sweet Chilli Sauce (740ml for £1.30) - love it.
    Looking at the 'ingredients' - sugar, water, chilli, garlic, vinegar,salt and a (nasty!) stabiliser.

Will experiment tomorrow
    :grouphug: A smile, a 'please' and a 'thank you' cost nothing

• Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I know it's not freezing, but if you have loads, get a bottle of cheap olive oil, shred a few and then push them in to steep in the oil. Chilli oil, great on pasta, dipping bread, salads, anything really!

It gives vodka a really spicy kick too..... yum

You add chilli oil to vodka? :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family