PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preserving chillies?

Comments

• bltchef
    bltchef Posts: 292 Forumite
    no you add fresh chille to vodka leave for 3 -6 months and strain use the chillies for cooking and vodka for drinking you coul flavour the vodka with lemon lime or grapefruit zest i hope this ans you question :D
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    bltchef wrote:
    no you add fresh chille to vodka leave for 3 -6 months and strain use the chillies for cooking and vodka for drinking you coul flavour the vodka with lemon lime or grapefruit zest i hope this ans you question :D

:rotfl: just had this vision of the oil floating on the top of the vodka!
    But am definitely going to try the chilli infused vodka - sounds really good! With the citrus - shluuuurp! Can I wait 3-6 months? :confused:
  • ocemeer
    ocemeer Posts: 414 Forumite
    My mum
    chops hers and place them in an icecube tray to freeze them in handy portions. Because she has incredible green fingers she also drys some and either keeps the whole or grinds them for home made chilli powder.
    Jamie Oliver has a recipe for pickled chillies which is good and chilli jam (chillis onions, lemon juice and sugar off the top of my head) is to die for especially on cheese on toast.

Chilli vodka is lovely but don't leave the chillis in much beyond two weeks or it gets a little strong. (it did with the chillis I used was like having very strong schnapps).

If you dry them whole you can string them up and use them to decorate your kitchen/christmas tree
  • CarolnMalky
    CarolnMalky Posts: 14,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi, we do the same as ocemeer...we use scotch bonnet and we buy 6 or more at a time, blitz them with the hand blender, then pop into ice cube tray. Ideal for when you feel like something spicy!
    Carol
    If you obey all the rules...you miss all the fun!! Katherine Hepburn
  • Thanks for all your suggestions. So obvious with oil as I have bottle in cupboard-doh:rolleyes: Vodka hm in for a penny .Thanks for reminding me to save seeds . might have to save the £2s for the vodka:rotfl:
    olympic challenge week 6 = $414.70:j
    slowly slowly REBEL NO. 21
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    We were given a chilli plant which has gone crackers and we've got hundereds of the things! We do like spicy food and would like to keep them to use up over the next few months. What's the best way of preserving them?
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Dried chillis keep for ages. Keep them in a paper bag so that they don't get damp & mouldy.
  • Wizwoo
    Wizwoo Posts: 675 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Easiest way is to chop them and freeze them chopped - that way you can just get a spoonful out as and when you need them (use them striaght from frozen).
  • Has anybody got any receipes for chilli preserves?

Two small plants and they are taking over the world - small, red and quite hot!

We can't eat chilli or curry every night, unless loo roll is on special offer.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I just dry mine ;)

You can thread them on a string if you want for easy storage (wear somethign to protect your hands - I hate getting chilli juice on my hands)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport