PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preserving chillies?

Comments

• Hi, I have a load of fresh little green and red chillies, when I cooked a chinese last night I only needed 2 green one's as they were that strong, so there is no way I can use all these chillies in the next few day's
    Can you freeze them fresh or do you need to do something with them first? Thanks.
    cc debt ( end dec 05) 6485 :eek:
    Currently:4475.73

Shopping for March
    Week 1: £46.74
    Week 2:
    Week 3:
    Week 4:
    A+L loan but as I have already paid the intrest no point in paying it off early(dont get one) so going to save, save, save when cc paid off

The £2.00 savers club:£24.00
  • I've never frozen them but we grow them in the greenhouse and we dry them. Just spread them on some paper towel on a tray and put in a warm place - on the boiler or in the airing cupboard. If you put chilli in Google there's a great UK website
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have frozen them(there's always too many in a pack,why can't supermarkets sell them loose?).I just put them in a bag and bung in the freezer.I use them from frozen,but I did think the last one I used was a bit tame.Maybe freezing them cools their fire a bit?HTH
  • Mr_Skint_2
    Mr_Skint_2 Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    Pickle them, they are lush pickled I always have a jar handy..http://www.bevelynn.co.uk/Home.html
  • powie69
    powie69 Posts: 297 Forumite
    I have frozems fresh chilies before, and used them for making peach and chilli chutney. They do seem to not be as hot thought. Good luck
    A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water.:D
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    I just put them in a poly bag & chuck them in the freezer & they're fine :)

one thing though, they're easier to prepare if they're still slightly frozen, otherwise they can be a bit soft & slippery & difficult to cut
  • Moorepart
    Moorepart Posts: 181 Forumite
    Hiya, Cut the stems out, put them in an airtight container wrapped with 4 or 5 kitchen towels, make sure they are well warpped, and your chillis should last you a long time.

Good luck;)
  • Hi, I chop them up then freeze them on a tray before transferring them to a bag.
    It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
  • chop them up and put them in a bottle of cheap vodka. give it a few weeks and you have chilli vidka

Cheers

Graham
    Current CC debt : £00000

Was £4900 in May 2005

now got a girlfriend and savings
  • Thanks for all your great ideas, I'm going to put some in the freezer, I might pickle some as well have loads.
    Love the idea for chilli vodka Graham S my brother in law birthday is coming up he loves vodka and hot chilli's so I think he would like this combination.
    cc debt ( end dec 05) 6485 :eek:
    Currently:4475.73

Shopping for March
    Week 1: £46.74
    Week 2:
    Week 3:
    Week 4:
    A+L loan but as I have already paid the intrest no point in paying it off early(dont get one) so going to save, save, save when cc paid off

The £2.00 savers club:£24.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport