PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preserving chillies?

Options

Comments

• sunshine6650
    Options
    i always have some already chopped in freezer bags, just add them in when cooking, being ready chopped makes it so much easier as well!

my nana does this as well! & peppers..
    2010 is my DO IT year! grow own bits,savvy shopping,organised!!Get a hobby!!! be fit!! be happy!!
    Saving all change & paying off debts!!
    constantly looking to save money!!! all help needed!!
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    I chop them and freeze them in tupperware - keeping the colours separate so I can just throw what I need into a dish as I'm cooking it.
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Yes you can, I tend to do that if I have bought some and not using them,
    I tend to de-seed and cut into strips, you dont need to blanch them.
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • nesssie1702
    nesssie1702 Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I freeze mine whole and just take them out of the freezer when I need to use them - a lot less waste than when I used to buy the pack, use one and throw the rest out when they'd gone squidgy!
  • FairyElephant_2
    Options
    You can also chop them and pop them in jar with some oil (preferably good olive oil I reckon) - you can use the chilli's to cook with, and you also get chilli-flavoured oil to use too!
    The best advice you can give your children: "Take responsibility for your own actions...and always Read the Small Print!"
    ..."Mind yer a*se on the step!"
    TTC with FI - RIP my 2 MC Angels - 3rd full ICSI starts May/June 2009 - BFP!!! Please let it be 'third time lucky'..... EDD 7th March 2010.
  • trixietoes
    Options
    I echo the others, freezing is nice and easy way of storing them. I also have wizzed them up and stored them with oil in a jar and kept in the fridge successfully.
    "People buy things they don't need, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like" - Clive Hamilton on Consumerism.
  • jollymummy
    jollymummy Posts: 944 Forumite
    Options
    That isn't a pun :) I bought a load of cheap fresh chillies yesterday, can I put them in the freezer? will they go soggy?
    cheers
    :hello:
    NSD 3/366
    4/366. 2016 Decluttering challenge
  • tomterm8
    tomterm8 Posts: 5,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep, you can. make sure they are clean first, dry off, and freeze in a plastic bag. Sometimes the seeds go brown.Chop straight from the freezer.
    “The ideas of debtor and creditor as to what constitutes a good time never coincide.”
    ― P.G. Wodehouse, Love Among the Chickens
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, they freeze really well with no need to chop them up beforehand as they are easily chopped from frozen. There's an earlier thread on preserving chillies that should help so I'll add your thread to it so that you can browse the ideas.

Pink
  • Trinny
    Trinny Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hi everyone
    got loads of red chillies drying on my windowsill which have been home grown by hubby over the summer.
    they're dry, crusty and i now haven't a clue
    a) how to use them in cooking
    b) where to store them
    c) how long they'll be useable

there must be an expert out there dying to help me out !!!! PLEASE;)

Hi HM

You can freeze them as they are - or do as we do - store them in old spice jars. they last for ages - you use them in place of fresh chilli - chopped up in the usual way - best use is when cooking rather than as a garnish. We like chilli heat and have a pestle and morter - so my OH will chop a few dried chillies and then pound them in the P&M with garlic, a curry paste, lemon juice etc then add that to chicken and oil and fry together.

Hapy cooking

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May £39.47/£55. June £47.20/£50. July £38.44/£50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    £2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure