PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preserving chillies?

Options

Comments

• rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    yep no need to freeze if they are dried - they will keep for yonks in an old jar. either crumble or grind whenever you need.
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • lucy*locket
    lucy*locket Posts: 444 Forumite
    Options
    You could make Nigella's chilli jam, it's delish. I make a batch every now and then, it's great with most meals, once you start using it you miss it if you don't have any :)http://www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe_detail.aspx?rid=20157
  • borderlakland
    Options
    Hi wondered if anyone on here can help.... have got a larger than expected crop of small red chillies not sure of the variety, not sure the best way of preserving them, pickled last years crop of orange ones so would prefer a different way.. is there a way of drying then maybe grinding them? if they are just dried how long will they last and best way of storing etc....
    Lead us not into temptation...

just tell us where it is and we'll find it....
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    string them up using needle and fishing line and dry in cool dry place. Crush them up when you want to use them. Chilli necklace :D
  • ClaireLR
    ClaireLR Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Asian girl I work with says her mom just leaves them out in the sun to dry. Mind you with the weather in this country, maybe the suggestion above would be a better idea!
    Sometimes you have to go through
    the rain to get to the
    rainbow
  • Emstick14
    Emstick14 Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    I have loads of chillies growing too! Did you just buy pickling vinegar and stick them in? Can you tell me how you did it, please? Also how "hot" were they once pickled??
  • vij
    vij Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    I sliced very finely froze them on a baking tray and then put in a plastic pot in the frezzer and I grab a pinch when I need them. I seem to be doing this a lot - think I need more imagination
  • Dex
    Dex Posts: 596 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

I've just picked the last of my tomatoes and made the most amazing sweet chilli and cherry tomato jam (is fabulous with cheese:D)

However it only takes two chillis and I have hundreds, I've dried some in the oven, frozen some and am thinking about maybe pickling some... but what I'd like to do is make sweet chilli sauce, all the recipes I can find don't say if it can be kept, I'd like to make some that I could bottle and use over the winter.

Does anyone have any recipes would work for that?

Also I'm interested to hear what else you've done with Chilli's, has anyone pickled them? is it easy enough?

Thanks everyone
    1 debt vs 100 days part 6-11total paid £8,135.86 Final Debt [STRIKE]6,948.61[/STRIKE] £3,174.94
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Dex,

This thread should help:

Preserving chillies?

I'll add your thread to it later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • nanokitten
    Options
    dex can we have your recipie for chilli and tomato jam as I have a glut of toms but not gonna make my usual ketchup as am still using it up!

I've not yet found a decent chilli sauce/ jam recipie (though I've looked) I guess if you make it like regular jam and it contains lots of sugar and is bottled hot and sealed it should keep like regular jam.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure