do i have to pay for childcare?

Hi.
I have a 7 year old daughter with my ex partner who i see regularly anywhere from 2 to 5 times a week . due to ny job i can work some crazy hours anywhere from 40 to 90 hours a week. Obviously due to me not knowing what shifts i am doing more then a day or 2 in advance having set times to see her is nigh impossible.

She decided it was every other weekend she would sray with me which us fine but when i have to work the weekend i tell her and she goes crazy saying i have to pay for her childacare when i work....is this right i already pay 170 a month for her...

Thanks

Comments

• fannyanna
    fannyanna Posts: 2,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think it's fair that you arrange set days when you will see your daughter. If you have to work on one of those set days then yes, you will have to arrange childcare.

Whilst I do think there should be some form of flexibility when it comes to access, I don't think it's reasonable that your ex is made to accommodate your ever changing schedule. She needs some certainty in order to be able to arrange her own schedule.
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you were a single parent and went to work, you'd have to arrange childcare.
    You wish to have access, so you have access, if you can't then care for your daughter, and ex is also at work, what is she meant to do?

Why on earth don't you know shifts sooner? Most shift workers I know have their schedules weeks or even months in advance.

90 hours a week is bonkers
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    £170 a month is not masses. Paying for childcare on top for when you're busy doesn't seem unreasonable.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    i would agree set days you have each have your daughter.

if you need childcare for the days you have the child then yes you pay - but i also think if your ex needs childcare on the days she has her then she pays.

The CSA you pay (170 a month) remember is not for your ex to pay for childcare when YOU have her.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    I think the dilemma is here, the Ex is charging the £170 for childcare, which i doubt she can legally do. (well she can charge it, but can she enforce it?)
  • Buttonmoons
    Buttonmoons Posts: 13,323 Forumite
    £170 PM seems awfully low considering you work 90 hours some weeks.
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Guest101 wrote: »
    I think the dilemma is here, the Ex is charging the £170 for childcare, which i doubt she can legally do. (well she can charge it, but can she enforce it?)

I think the £170 is maintenance for the child, rather than additional amounts for childcare.
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    How could you arrange childcare at such short notice? does she work weekends as well?
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I expect the issue is that your ex wants to have some sort of a life. That means being able to plan things when she doesn't have to care for the child.

I can imagine she is furious that she is being put in a situation when she might have to cancel her plan just because at the last minute, you decide you can't look after your daughter and you decide that it becomes her problem.

Try to see it from her situation rather than yours, ie, it is not your fault you have to go to work at the last minute. Don't you have any family at all who could help? Is there no way you can arrange with your employers not to work on the week-ends you have her or at least know a week in advance if you are?
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    In answer to the question, legally you don't have to pay anything more than the CSA tell you to, if the £170 is what they have deemed payable, then that is what you have to pay. Morally it's a different matter, what you choose to pay over and above that is up to yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure