🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

GB Energy Supply reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had to wait over 10 weeks with Scottish Power. First Utility produced their refund in about 3 weeks
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • S_George
    Options
    I changed to GB Energy in April after being advised from MSE Energy club that they had the cheapest tariffs. I started on a monthly direct debit of £49. During the last 6 months, the tariffs from GB Energy have risen twice and up to this month, my average consumption of electricity has been £49 per month. I am now informed that a further change in tariff will start in November and my direct debit will rise to £71 per month based on my average electricity consumption over the last 6 months. This equates to a 44% increase which I find staggering. I feel as though the Company have deliberately set low tariffs to attract customers then raised their prices. I'm not happy about this and feel conned. I have the option to change to a different tariff but am informed that I am already on their cheapest tariff. I will now try and find a different supplier but I don't want to have to change supplier constantly if this is how the Energy Companies are operating. I just want a reliable supplier who does not rip me off.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 November 2016 at 10:01AM
    Options
    Why didn't you go for a fixed deal - I started with them in April and I'll pay the same for my leccy until next April. I haven't had any tariff increases.

Don't moan when you could have fixed - you were not conned you just made a poor decision

I'd just add that if your DD was £49 in the summer and you were using £49 worth of energy every month in the summer them it's very likely that you'll use significantly more energy in the winter which will put you in arrears by next April so they are trying to avoid that by increasing your DD now. Your tariff will only have increased if you'd elected to go onto a variable rate rather than fixed.

If you started in April you should have built up a reasonable amount of credit going into winter - we've been paying around £62 a month and use about £35/mo in the summer which means I'm about £180 in credit. However my consumption will increase to well over £100 a month in the coldest winter months - I don't expect my DD to change as it should balance out by next April.

I know what my energy consumption will be and I know my usage profile (30% in the seven summer months and 70% in the 5 winter months) so I make sure that my DD will cover it. That's why I always do my own sums.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Enigmatic_Me
    Options
    To be fair, I am on a fixed deal with them which started in Sept, The gas has not yet been transferred as they are "waiting on the technical details being transferred over" so they have had no meter readings.

A couple of weeks ago I got an email advising they were increasing the direct debit. I called them this week (took a whole hour to get through) to ask how can they justify increasing when I am on fixed tarriff. I was told it was following a three month review?? When I asked how they could do that as they have not even sorted out the gas and have no readings, she was a tad lost for words and I was advised they would put the direct debit back to what it was!
    The best things in life are free.....
  • jblackmore
    Options
    Has anyone heard from GB energy recently, I contacted through website on 5th November re problems with final bill being incorrect, I tried to phone a few times on 7th November and number was engaged, so sent another message through website contact form.

I've had no response to either almost two weeks later ??
  • GDB_Kent
    Options
    I decided to take the MSE group deal with British Gas and started the switch on 30th September. I got a welcome email from BG on 5th October saying they would take responsibility from 20th October - and an email on handover day and the 21st asking for meter readings. Duly given.
    Meanwhile not a sausage from GBE, but they did take another DD on 24th October when I was already substantially in credit with them. (Someone asked in an earlier thread why I had an issue paying up front, well this is why).
    On 4th Nov I got an email from MSE saying the switch was complete, on the 11th I got a final bill from GBE saying they owed me £286.14, but not when they'd pay it. So I phoned a couple of days later and the lady I spoke to said she would progress it then (there was a very confused conversation where she tried to justify why they had taken the extra DD). The refund arrived back in my bank on 19th November - but I doubt it would have done if I hadn't chased.
    The £30 MSE switch bonus arrived in my bank on 16th Nov.
    All said and done, I would use GBE again if they came up with the best deal, I don't think they are any worse than any other energy firm, in my experience their customer service is perhaps a bit better (but still chaotic)
  • Riggindale
    Options
    GB Energy has no concept of service but is good with excuses.

Switched to GB Energy 8 months ago and the electricity came across without a hitch but still awaiting the transfer of the gas supply! GB Energy blames it on the 'gas transport' company. However, the fault lies with GB Energy who do not follow-up on transfers even when they say that they will expedite the transfer (nothing happened).

Out of exasperation I have transferred to a proper company who managed the process in about 3 weeks - birth gas and electricity. My conclusion is to stick with the established utilities companies although it may not be as cheap as the likes of GB.

I complained to the Energy Ombudsman (see below) and they upheld my complaint and instructed GB Energy to pay compensation and the difference in cost of supply of gas (previous supplier v GB). The latter because I was still paying my previous supplier for gas although it should have been transferred with the electricity.

It's easy to get free, independent advice so as an energy consumer you 'Know your rights' in a changing energy market.

You may want to get a better deal, find out how to make a complaint, get advice about the quality of your electricity or gas supply, or ask for help if you're struggling to pay your bills.

To "Know your rights" visit their website for up to date information or contact the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06.
    :(
  • Riggindale
    Options
    See my post of 24th November
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,075 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They have gone bust!
    Dear Customer,
    It is with regret that we are informing you that GB Energy Supply is no longer trading and therefore you will be unable to access our website at this time.
    Due to swift and significant increases in energy prices over recent months and, as a small supplier our inability to forward buy energy to allow us to access the best possible wholesale prices, means that the position of the business has become untenable and as such we will now be entering a process overseen by Ofgem to move you to a new supplier.
    Customers will be contacted soon by their new supplier with more information on how this process will affect them.
    More information is available on the Ofgem website at: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-safety-net
    During this process, all customer contracts will be honoured, so please rest assured that your supply will not be affected.
    We understand that customers will want to contact our call centre to discuss this, however we request that you refrain from doing so at this time and instead wait until we contact you with further information.
    Yours sincerely
    Luke Watson
    Managing Director

Ofgem say don't switch until your new (much more expensive) supplier contacts you.

But all the cheap tariffs are disappearing fast.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Seejuu
    Seejuu Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was well pleased with GB Energy. Been with them since January 2016. Since summer been on fixed price. 2 days ago had email request for meter reading. Just been on GBE website to register reading and found:
    Dear Customer,
    It is with regret that we are informing you that GB Energy Supply is no longer trading and therefore you will be unable to access our website at this time.
    Due to swift and significant increases in energy prices over recent months and, as a small supplier our inability to forward buy energy to allow us to access the best possible wholesale prices, means that the position of the business has become untenable and as such we will now be entering a process overseen by Ofgem to move you to a new supplier.
    Customers will be contacted soon by their new supplier with more information on how this process will affect them. ...
    Ofgem-safety-net webpage says new supplier with deemed contract will be more expensive. But don't switch until new provider is in place. Do you really have to wait until then?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport