🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

GB Energy Supply reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• mparter
    mparter Posts: 409 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I switched to GB Energy around May 2015. I had no issues until this summer when I signed up for their fixed price plan when they notified me of their first price increase. This was all completed online. However, a couple of months later and their website was still telling me they were going to switch me over.

So I called them up, they looked into it and back-dated my upgrade to some time in August. They also reduced my monthly payment from £97 to £91. Like those above, I don't mind building up a buffer for winter but upon receiving my bill today, my account is currently £530 in credit!!

Are GB Energy still one of the cheapest suppliers r should I make the switch? Or should I stick with them for now and ask to "withdraw" some of my "savings"?!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mparter wrote: »
    I switched to GB Energy around May 2015. I had no issues until this summer when I signed up for their fixed price plan when they notified me of their first price increase. This was all completed online. However, a couple of months later and their website was still telling me they were going to switch me over.

So I called them up, they looked into it and back-dated my upgrade to some time in August. They also reduced my monthly payment from £97 to £91. Like those above, I don't mind building up a buffer for winter but upon receiving my bill today, my account is currently £530 in credit!!

Are GB Energy still one of the cheapest suppliers r should I make the switch? Or should I stick with them for now and ask to "withdraw" some of my "savings"?!

Do a comparison as annual cost varies with postcode and usage. Is your £530 credit based on a bill using an accurate meter reading? Credit balances are meaningless otherwise.

FWIW, I have just switched away from GB early to secure another 12 month contract at an additional cost of £32 because prices are on the increase.
  • mparter
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Do a comparison as annual cost varies with postcode and usage. Is your £530 credit based on a bill using an accurate meter reading? Credit balances are meaningless otherwise.

FWIW, I have just switched away from GB early to secure another 12 month contract at an additional cost of £32 because prices are on the increase.

It is yes, I give them meter readings every month as they ask for them. I'll have a look later to see if I can switch to somewhere cheaper.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Dont you look at the monthly statement? You'd then see that you were ramping up an excessive credit and could have asked them to reduce your DD.

It's not really all that difficult to check your readings and bills and make sure that they are tracking your DD's
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • mparter
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    Dont you look at the monthly statement? You'd then see that you were ramping up an excessive credit and could have asked them to reduce your DD.

It's not really all that difficult to check your readings and bills and make sure that they are tracking your DD's

I check my bills every month. I just assumed they would eventually reduce my DD as British Gas used to. If I had been wracking up a debt, I would have been all over it to sort it out quicker.
  • sd99
    sd99 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    How often do GB Energy request readings and produce bills? I switched over at the beginning of September and they've yet to ask for one, nor produced a bill of any kind.

The only account options I have available on the website are: Dashboard, My Payments, My Profile & Logout. Can anyone tell me the direct URL to the billing page?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    GB ask me for a reading every month about a week before the billing date, so I send one in on the day before the billing date. If you send a reading in too early they'll estimate (guess) the consumption between your reading and the billing date.

They issue a statement on the online account about three or four days after the billing date and usually send me an e-mail several days afterwards to tell me that my statement is available.

I always, check it very carefully for accuracy and to ensure that my DD is on track and then download and save a PDF copy so I've got my own record for posterity - just in case of any queries in the future. Especially when it come time to swap suppliers. I save them for six years.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • spook
    spook Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    Switched away from GBES about 5 weeks ago, still waiting to receive a refund of £240 credit on my account. Overall I had no problems with the service while I was with them but waiting so long for a refund is frustrating, and reading some of the feedback online about them holding onto customers money is making me nervous.

Anyone successfully had their money back from them after switching? How long did it take?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    spook wrote: »
    Switched away from GBES about 5 weeks ago, still waiting to receive a refund of £240 credit on my account. Overall I had no problems with the service while I was with them but waiting so long for a refund is frustrating, and reading some of the feedback online about them holding onto customers money is making me nervous.

Anyone successfully had their money back from them after switching? How long did it take?

Suppliers have 6 weeks to produce a final bill from the date of the actual transfer (i.e.; not the date that you applied to switch). Depending on the amount to be repaid, suppliers have an escalating management refund approvals process which can take days to weeks.
  • spook
    spook Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Suppliers have 6 weeks to produce a final bill from the date of the actual transfer (i.e.; not the date that you applied to switch). Depending on the amount to be repaid, suppliers have an escalating management refund approvals process which can take days to weeks.

Thanks Hengus. Final bill was produced within that timescale but it gave no indication of when the refund will follow. And I think part of the delay is down to my new supplier being slow to process the opening meter read.

That said, waiting for refunds hasn't been an issue with past switches I've made and the rumblings I'm reading online are definitely throwing up red flags for me. Hopefully I hear back from them soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport