PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Would you or do you wash........

Options

Comments

• Brallaqueen
    Brallaqueen Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    Options
    I think the only things i'm remotely funny about are fresh bedding every week and fresh knickers every day. Everything else gets worn again if I can get away with it :D
    Emergency savings: 4600
    0% Credit card: 1965.00
  • Lizling
    Lizling Posts: 882 Forumite
    Options
    I'm amazed that so many people seem to think washing bedding every 4 weeks is disgusting. That's roughly how often I wash mine in the winter. It's just me in a king-sized bed, generally wearing PJs, or a t-shirt at least, so the sheets aren't going to get sweaty easily. They could probably go for 8 weeks without getting stinky!

Other than that, much the same as everyone else for laundry.
    Saving for deposit: Finished! :j
    House buying: Finished!
    Next task: Lots and lots of DIY
  • Morning all. Just checked the Y fronts and turned them inside out. Socks, they can go another day before turning.

Bring it on, rubs tum!
  • vickyanne_2
    Options
    Bedding every week and would be more often if I could be bothered as I love fresh bedding! Towels every couple of weeks, hand towel weekly.
    Undies daily, tops usually after 1 day, bottoms 2-3 days.
    I can't bear smelly clothes or smelly people especially the stench of a cooked breakfast on peoples clothes.
  • vickyanne_2
    Options
    I really don't understand why towels need washed after only one use.
    Nor do I - after all you're at your cleanest when you use them unlike bedding and clothes! just dry and reuse.
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wash them all end of May or beginning of June when I change my long johns and have my bath !
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    Lizling wrote: »
    They could probably go for 8 weeks without getting stinky

Way back in the day I worked with a guy who had serious personal hygiene issues. When a quiet word was had he seemed to be honestly oblivious to it. I thought at the time it was because he had become so used to it he'd stopped being able to smell it.
  • dannymccann
    Options
    We aren't grebby at all, but I don't know how some of you people manage this washing load, especially when you are talking about replacing towels everyday! We certainly couldn't, I work full time and my wife is stay at home mum to DS.

Bath towels get washed after a couple of weeks (you only use them when you are clean?!), bath mats the same, or when DS decides to wee on them when being transferred into the bath :rotfl:

Bed sheets every fortnight, or if we can't remember when we did them last or fancy a fresh bed

I've been known to wear a pair of jeans for a month, but if you think about it they are only on for 4 hours a day tops (when I get in from work), I have a dirty pair for walking the dog in.

T shirts, depending on the pit sniff test can go for a good 4 days, jumpers and hoodies used to last a month but now with the baby snotting and slimy hands they are variable.

No idea what my OH habits and are, although she seems to get through more outfits then I do but she spends a lot more time with DS than I do

DS himself - if he hasn't dribbled or spilt food down himself it's good for another wear, majority of his clothes for his first year were hand me downs and second hand so never were in pristine condition anyway

To add we have a dog so it's pretty pointless trying to make everything perfect anyway, i think it's completely unachievable (and would actually be quite unhealthy for all of us including the dog)
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    rufydoofyM, I share your dubiousness about the merits of "antibac" - my grandmother & mother didn't have it & both their generations look robustly healthy to me. (That said I have operating theatre grade liquid "soap" in the bathroom for cuts & grazes. That or neat iodine are the choices - I take broken skin far more seriously than I do how often towels are washed.)

Antibac products I regard as a morally dubious method of draining both money & nerve (Good Mothers do - yet ours didn't have it, didn't use it & we're pretty healthy?)

As for handwashing my bra every 2 days & drying it flat!? I have a fulltime job, four menfolk & limited tolerance for that sort of "You Ought To" article anyway. I have finite time & energy so I pick my battles. The lads start school in clean ironed shirts & trousers every day - by the end of the day, no longer & by the end of the school year likely replaced at least once, with the old ones de-buttoned & in the rag bin.

If the article admitted to be sponsored by Unilever or the like, I'd read it with more curiosity & less sense of being shamed into buying their things.

Monday Washday is a chunk of folk history to me, when washing was done in copper kettles with dollies & Reckitts blue for extra whiteness (which I've seen used on show ponies' tails & it works, but...) I have done it, survived just & don't need to keep up with those Joneses.
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Bath Towels-Every day after 1 use
    Hand Towels-Every day after 1 use
    Face towels-Every day after 1 use
    (Everyone in the family has their own sets of towels and flannels and then there are spares for when family visit)
    All clothing-after 1 wear
    Flannels and Bath Mats-every 2 or 3 uses
    Underwear and Socks-after 1 wear
    Bedding-2-3 weeks in Winter and Every week in Summer
    Going Out Clothes-after 1 wear (dry clean only clothes washed on gentle 30 degree wash and low tumble dry and look dry cleaned, but smell fresh instead of dry cleaning chemical fluid)

I do lots of washing considering there is only me and my 14 year old son at home now, but I feel it is worth all of the time and effort.

I wash all towels, cotton bath mats and flannels on a 60 degree wash
    All other washing is on a 30 degree wash

I and my son have sensitive skin, so I do 3 extra cycles of rinses and use concentrated fabric conditioner to get rid of any trace of washing powder. I used Woolite for Darks and Colours for all clothing, as it really keeps the original colour of clothes, stops any bobbling and helps the clothes to last as long as possible, so I really feel it is worth the expense (found Woolite capsules on eBay last year that were such a bargain I bought over £100 worth-more than a year's supply could last as long as 2 years)

We all have a bath every day. If I am going out I will have another bath in the evening.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure