PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Would you or do you wash........

Options

Comments

• gayleygoo
    Options
    Be careful with the Sniff Test... I once stuck my face into what I thought was a t-shirt and inhaled rather too deeply. Turns out it was OH's boxers, and I don't know how long they'd been festering in the washing basket but the smell was so bad I nearly puked :eek::rotfl:

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
  • flipper_72
    Options
    Ooh washing clothes. I have some skin "issues" so this one resonates.
    For me pants 1 wear, bra every 3/4 wears although they are not always worn 3 days in a row, tops 1 wear, leggings 1 wear, jeans 3 wears, tight fitting cardis 1 wear, loose fitting 2 wears. Jumpers & sweatshirts 1 wear, socks 1 wear, gym kit depends, usually 1 wear unless a no-sweat session like pilates and it may be re-used. Bedding used to be 2 weeks but I react if I don't wash at least every 8 days so now have to be done every week. Jeans used to be longer too but I react so can't any more. Towels every week although I use 3 in rotation so each is used twice - hadn't though about that before :-/
    I use ecoballs or soapnuts as i can't use any washing powder, cleaning is done weekly and use a mix of steam, bleach and using up ones I react to in areas I don't use ie house bathroom not en-suite.
    Kids put everything in the wash after 1 wear and I rescue it and put it back for re-use if it doesn't need washing yet. Their bedding is ever 2 weeks possibly 3 occasionally when I lose track of which week it is but they are 6 & 8 so not smelly yet. Their swimming towels are every 2/4 weeks and bathroom towels 2 weeks (we all have our own colour). Hubby puts his towels out to wash randomly but probably about every 7-10 days and changes skin clothes daily, no idea about jeans etc. but he has never smelt so often enough ;-)
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    I have a colleague who wears the same shirt two days in a row so he always smells of BO on the second wear, I did take him aside one day, now he wears the dirty shirt witb copious amounts of lynx in attempt to mask his BO, lovely sharing an office with him.
    I sympathise. A chap I used to work with wore the same shirt for the entire week; he said that his mother (he still lived with her, although he was in his 40s) complained if he created too much laundry. By Thursday, one certainly didn't want to be downwind of him! _pale_
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • mashedavocado
    Options
    Bras I'll wear for 3 days, clean pants every day, socks sometimes 2 days... which I admit is a bit grim. Tops I only wear once, same with leggings; jeans I'll usually wear 2 or 3 days. (I know people say not to wash jeans but I couldn't not wash them!)

Towels get washed when I remember (which is less often than I'd like). Same with bedding. I'd like to aim for once a week but I know our bedding has been on more than a fortnight... eek.
  • natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bedding weekly sometimes every other day - I cannot sleep if the bedding is dirty, Pillows get washed at least every 3 months. Bras get chucked in the wash often maybe 3-4 wears.

Bedding and towels either get washed on 60 or Dettol laundry stuff in the wash. I don't wash bath towels with tea towels, I don't wash towels with clothes.

I don't clean my handbag enough - its gross at the moment I never wash my purse, I wipe my phone screen all the time - mainly because of make-up

I wash my coats fortnightly

Jeans after 2/3 wears

Nat
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • cherryblossomzel
    Options
    Knickers, socks and tights every wear. Anything I get sweaty in, or that gets stained (exercise clothes, normal clothes on hot days etc) gets washed immediately. Everything else gets hung out to air, then given the sniff test.

Everything gets cold washed with a small amount of standard washing powder (and I've just recently started using fabric conditioner rather than just vinegar).

Mostly I wash things when they start looking or smelling off, not because they have passed some arbitrary time point. Continuously washing things isn't good for the environment, no matter how eco-friendly your machine.

I shower at least once a day, which I guess isn't that great for the environment either, but I do keep my showers short.
  • Archer0710
    Archer0710 Posts: 239 Forumite
    edited 10 February 2015 at 2:48PM
    Options
    I wash my work clothes daily, my home clothes apart from jeans probably every other wear. Underwear goes without saying....daily.

Towels, bedding, dressing gowns and bath mats weekly. Bras I tend to wear for a couple of days.

Both DH and I shower every day, I have a real phobia about smelling so tend to go over board on personal and clothes washing. I used to encounter a lot of people that really didn't smell too fresh and I suspect my issues come from there.

I wash most things at 40, bedding a lot hotter and I double rinse pillows and flannels as I have allergies.
    Can I ever learn this budgeting lark? So far it's not looking promising
    Lloyds loan - gone forever! :T
    Bank of Mum and Dad gone forever!
    Emergency Fund £1500 :T
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bedding washed every week at 60 degrees. Towels washed at least once a week, maybe twice a week - again at 60 degrees.

Bra, knickers, socks changed every day. Clothes I wear indoors (T shirt and jeans usually) I will wear for at least 3 days unless they get dirty. Clothes worn when I go out will often get washed after 1 wear but it depends how long I wore them for and whether it was hot and I got sweaty etc.

I shower and wash my hair every day (usually twice in summer)
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    eekk...probably get gunned down but here goes

Family of 9..7 adults 2 small children...all clothes washed after 1 wear

All bedding washed every week....2 double and 5 single beds

Towels all washed after 1 use only

Kitchen towels changed probably 3/4 times a day

We all bathe at least every other day

even cat blankets are washed at least every other day
    Use non bio powder but no fabric conditioner,
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I really don't understand why towels need washed after only one use.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport