PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Would you or do you wash........

Options

Comments

• Brallaqueen
    Brallaqueen Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    Options
    This is an interesting topic. To someone with my (admittedly average to low) standard of cleanliness it sounds like some people spend their whole lives cleaning. I couldn't do that many washes a week without breaking my machine or my mind.
    Emergency savings: 4600
    0% Credit card: 1965.00
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    rufydoofyM wrote: »
    :oIn my defense I do change bedding more regular most of the time, but mobility and energy levels often dictate when. I figured this point would get a reaction, however we bathe or shower at least once a day and often twice depending on the time of year or what we have been doing during the day. We don't sweat much and are very clean overall.

You do not need to defend anything. I think what you do is perfectly fine and acceptable.
  • pm2326
    pm2326 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For those people who wash their pillows, do you all have tumble drier?

I've never washed mine because I don't have a drier...I'm not sure how I'd dry them during the colder weather.
  • Bathory
    Bathory Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've been debating whether to share my laundry habits for a while but anyway, here is what i do (2 person household) .....

First off, I have never owned a washing machine, grew up without one, stayed in a lot of rented places that didn't have them and where I am now has bad water pressure, so its soap powder, elbow grease and a spindryer. Stuff too heavy for the spinner to cope with goes to the launderette although I have to say I don't like launderettes, especially round here where the machines have been broken, mistreated and people putting anything in from oily work clothes to horse blankets.

Socks, underwear daily, bras usually twice a week, everything else a couple of wears or so (daily if weather is very hot), bedding around 3 weeks roughly and is treated to the grape stomp method. Towels around weekly or more depending and usually get a pre-soak of boiling soapy water in a bowl. Most stuff gets thrashed about in pretty hot water, however, I do get through a lot of hand cream. I wash about once a week, anymore and its a backache.

Now for something that is extreme - years ago I knew a lady who stated her husband only changed his trousers twice a year - a pair for summer and another for winter !!! Wonder if she's still with him.
  • auntymabel
    auntymabel Posts: 433 Forumite
    edited 11 February 2015 at 1:20AM
    Options
    pm2326 wrote: »
    For those people who wash their pillows, do you all have tumble drier?

I've never washed mine because I don't have a drier...I'm not sure how I'd dry them during the colder weather.

I don't have a dryer. I line dry them outside, weather permitting, indoors if not. They dry surprisingly quickly. Sometimes the inside bit shifts around and I have to ease it back in place, but not always.
    'Yaze whit yeh hive an ye'll niver wahnt'

(From Mae Stewart's book 'Dae Yeh Mind Thon Time?')
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    auntymabel wrote: »
    I don't have a dryer. I line dry them outside, weather permitting, indoors if not. They dry surprisingly quickly. Sometimes the inside bit shifts around and I have to ease it back in place, but not always.

I always dry my pillows outside as well but recently had to wash one and put it on my window sill where it dried surprisingly quickly.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • davidsdesire
    davidsdesire Posts: 81 Forumite
    edited 11 February 2015 at 2:28AM
    Options
    ok, i will confess (*and ruin my reputation on TWO continents!)...we change our sheets about every two to three weeks. I try for weekly but it just never happens. We are also clean, we don't do manual labor altho my dh does sweat much more than I do. I wash my bath towel about every 4 weeks. I dry a perfectly clean body with it, why would it be dirty??? I do always make sure it dried thoroughly between uses.

bras, 3-4 times...again, i rarely sweat. Knickers-always clean daily.

I will also wear my socks more than once sometimes.

I do not smell bad...I also think we are too obsessed with killing all the bacteria that we need to be making ourselves immune to.
  • azzabazza
    azzabazza Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    I get irritated with the advertising for anti-bacterial soap powders etc. How on earth have I managed over the decades? My children are in their 30s and I washed their clothes as and when required, using standard soap powder and a temperature appropriate to the items being washed. Disposable nappies were not available so the cloth nappies sat in a bucket of Napisan until given a boil wash. Work tops, bathroom etc were cleaned with Flash diluted in water. My children were never prone to upset tummies so my hygiene standards must have been OK!

My bedding is changed fortnightly, towels changed twice weekly, pants and socks/tights daily, bras and pjs every 2-3 days. Other items are washed as they need it. In summer, tops may require to be changed daily but maybe every two days in the winter.
  • BoP concludes because habits are there to stay.

Y fronts, can be worn for two days, turn inside out! Same time limit as the bra, only problem is getting Percy out on day 2! Not a problem with the socks though!
  • MadelinesMum
    Options
    Hi all, I used to wash loads before ex left - all clothes washed after one wear, bedding weekly and towels daily. There were 6 of us so my life revolved around washing and drying. I saw the light after he went, lol.

I still try to do bedding weekly but it doesn't matter if it goes over. Socks and pants changed daily but I now don't feel so bad about re wearing trousers, jumpers etc...
    I must remember that "Money Saving" is not buying heavily discounted items that I do not need. :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure