Abbey Debit Card, Where Is It?

Hi can anyone help.My other half and I both have abbey debit cards which expire today.We havnt received a new one.I rang the customer services on saturday and they said due to the "problems they were having" our cards were delayed but we would definitly receive them today at very latest.Well postman has just been and no debit cards surprise, surprise.The lady at the cs spoke as if it were common knowledge that they were having problems.We dont know what to do if we wait we could risk that someone has our cards and could potentially use them for goods on phone or internet, but if we cancel them we then have to wait for new ones, and have to have new passwords for internet banking sent.as a moneysaver I like to check my onling banking each day this would be cancelled until new cards arrive.Also we dont live close to a branch so trekking to a branch to withdraw money with 2 kids in tow is a bit of a bind.If I knew the cards were delayed in post I would wait a couple of days but im worried theyv been sent elswhere.Has anyone else had a problem waiting for a new card.Please help moneysavers...:confused:

Comments

• abc
    abc Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My Abbey card expires at today and I have just received the new one in the post this morning.

What I do find a little worrying is that they have not put either my first names or even any initials. They have addressed it as follows -

MR SURNAME
    HOUSENUMBER, STREET
    POSTAL TOWN
    REGION
    POSTCODE

I am the only male in my household, so it was clear it was for me, but surely it is a risk in larger households that it is opened in error by someone else due to the fact that they have not properly put the full name or any initials on it.
  • supersavershal
    supersavershal Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Yes that is worrying, I dont know what is going on with them.Did your card come in the usual post because they said I would have it by close of business today.Im sure it usually comes about 2 weeks before.It doesnt expire until midnight tonight but allready companies are refusing to let me make debit card payments, I suppose thats because it can take up to two days for the payment to come out.To be honest and I hate to say this but I found it difficult to understand the customer services lady so come of the phone really confused.
  • abc
    abc Posts: 102 Forumite
    Yes it came in the normal post. The printed envelope indicates Royal Mail 1st Class.

My previous experience is the same as your that normally that it comes a few weeks before. My previous card expires end 07/07, however, the new card indicates it is valid from 06/07.
  • Factor25
    Factor25 Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have spoken to CS three times in the last two weeks because my card usually arrives 3 weeks before the expiry. I have been told various reasons for this happening. First it was the floods as the cards are issued from Tewksbury. Yesterday it was postal strikes, but they assured me my card would arrive by 1st, but still no card today. I have had to pay bills on line early just in case it doesnt appear in time. What I did manage to do was obtain the new card number from Abbey card services, this hopefully will enable me to use my internet banking without waiting for new registration numbers etc.
  • Factor25
    Factor25 Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    abc wrote: »
    My Abbey card expires at today and I have just received the new one in the post this morning.

What I do find a little worrying is that they have not put either my first names or even any initials. They have addressed it as follows -

MR SURNAME
    HOUSENUMBER, STREET
    POSTAL TOWN
    REGION
    POSTCODE

I am the only male in my household, so it was clear it was for me, but surely it is a risk in larger households that it is opened in error by someone else due to the fact that they have not properly put the full name or any initials on it.
    Yes, happened to us this week, husband opened sons new internet banking registration number.
  • someone
    someone Posts: 823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It was on working lunch today that Abbey are having problems with debit cards. They said it was because of the floods. I would imagine that the post strike is also affecting them as well.

abc, it may not have first name on the letter because they could be operating from backup systems. It's just a guess
  • smithja
    smithja Posts: 561 Forumite
    I heard they were migrating their current computer system to a new one, and that was the main cause of the problems. As a programmer myself, the issue of the name sounds like a migration problem and the transfer of forename from one field on one system to the same field on another did not take place, the people doing the transfer should have run many tests before it even got to the stage of a customer getting the first letter from a new system it is standard practice. They have also probably breached the Data Protection Act in the process. James
  • johnmoney05
    johnmoney05 Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Applied a new current account with them a month ago....still not received all the stuffs from them yet, like debit card, cheque book, payin book...only a welcome letter and a pin for internet registeration and the forms I sent to them for transfer my account to them (they should have taken action rather than returned them to me). I don't know what they are doing really. First ever came across any bank so bad service. Well, suppose they can blame the post workers strike...
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,

much the same story.

Phoned them yesterday about my debit card which expired last night. Got a call centre ( Mumbai?) seemed to know about the problem, was told that it was because of the floods, and my new card would be with me in '1/2 working days'.
  • Jeannine
    Jeannine Posts: 342 Forumite
    I'm in the same situation - 1st August and no card (expired 31st July). Was told by CS yesterday that the cards were late being sent out, on 20th July instead of 14th. So how long will I have to wait? I rely on mine all the time and will have to use a credit card for a trip to the vet and dentist today!!! Not happy!!:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure