Lose 100 lbs in 2015

Options

Comments

• tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    Moneyistooshort etc the cheapest way to do it is buy a 1970s pattern, the measurements of the person plus ease for fitting clothes will be on the back of the pattern.
  • quidsy
    quidsy Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    Options
    Couldn't get to my 55 points today even with a glass of wine. Lost 2lbs at weigh in this morning. The high/low days seem to have paid off. Doing a 5k this weekend and a gym visit tomorrow morning. Really gunning for a loss next week too. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
    I don't respond to stupid so that's why I am ignoring you.

2015 £2 saver #188 = £45
  • ciderwithrosie_2
    ciderwithrosie_2 Posts: 3,707 Forumite
    edited 6 June 2015 at 12:02PM
    Options
    OK folks between us: Belsy, jps, me, CWR and Izadora we have lost well over eleven stones

Oh my word..Have we? That's a whole adult person!! When you put it like that, it's an amazing feat.

Was doing well until the OH offered to get an Indian takeaway for us all last night, proper curries are about 5 squillion points :eek:

Ah well, it's a new day today, normal service is resumed.

Re the sizing query: It's hard to say what weight would you be at size 14 because of different body shapes, height etc. At around 12st I was still wearing a size 14 (I was this size for years until I got pregnant).
    Over futile odds
    And laughed at by the gods
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 6 June 2015 at 5:39PM
    Options
    I've found a website giving modern-day sizes for various shops. Also found a website giving 1970s sizing.

So - I've established I'm currently size 18:eek:, need to look for clothes with a size 16 label on them and need to slim back to size 14 (at which point I will be buying clothes with a size 10 label for my bottom half or 12 label for my top half on them).

Bought the most recent Slimming World magazine today and can see that the women who are size 14 (going by their height/weight/etc) are saying they are size 10 (ie because that's the size written on the labels of clothes they are buying).

Got the idea now - ie that clothes are basically labelled as 2 sizes smaller than they actually are. Except that clothes ranges for older women possibly have waist sizes 4" bigger than that.
  • tootallulah
    Options
    Day 149, 49 points. This week is a bust diet wise hopefully I will stay the same when I weigh in tomorrow. I don't know what has gone wrong but it has been the first week since I started that I have wobbled. the good thing is that I am 2.5 stones lighter than I was in January and I want this to continue.

As you know from this diary my motivation is clothes so I have done a lot of trying on and sorting out and put together outfits for work that are largely things I haven't been able to wear because they were too small. This has really cheered me up (I am that shallow). I shopped yesterday and have done my menu plan for the week. I have also booked to have my hair cut next week and have spent half an hour on the phone sorting out holiday plans for France, deep joy.

Waving at CWR, thanks for your kind thoughts.

Money etc - you sound like you want to be a size 10 good luck, won't that be lovely?

I am off out into the garden now to move things about tidy up and find my sunshade ready for breakfasts outside over the summer. Another plus, I found my sun hat whilst trying on I think it is an omen!
  • tootallulah
    Options
    Veruy serendipitous Moneytooshort I found this on a sewing blog today. 1960/70 vintage size 14 is indeed a modern 10. http://www.meggipeg.com/search?updated-max=2013-12-11T12:15:00%2B08:00&max-results=7&start=53&by-date=false
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 8 June 2015 at 6:41AM
    Options
    ...and I got my calculations slightly adrift. I'm now size 20 - not size 18. Whoops.

So, basically modern day clothes say they are 2 sizes smaller than they "really" are.

Am beginning to think it might be as well to take a tape measure with me when I go clothes shopping in future. I presume its possible to, for instance, just measure straight across the hips on a pair of trousers and see how many inches that is without allowing "sticking out" space for my backside iyswim. Mind you - I have a pretty flat backside at my proper size anyway:rotfl: No Kim Kardashian me...

So I measured a pair of trousers with a size 8 size label on them yesterday and they came to 19" across the front - so therefore 38" hip size if I am correct in that. In other words they should fit me - as I should have 36" wide hips (ie at my proper size). I couldn't get them up over my hips - but will keep them and keep trying them at intervals.

I've worked out a particular walk that is 2.25 miles to get to a destination near here - and is fairly much on the level (apart from a short uphill stretch on the way back home again). So 4.5 miles in total for a round trip and I can have a drink there if I wish and then return home - so that's what I did yesterday (no calories - it was sparkling mineral water:rotfl:) and I think I felt a little bit more "that's no problem/no puffing" than I have for a while. I should be able to do that walk easily/without even thinking about it (even for that slight uphill stretch on return journey) - so will use that walk to judge my progress. Being in Wales now I've not found that many walks on the level:cool: - so that will be a good "judging point" of a walk for me.

One useful little incident from my past I must remind myself of at regular intervals is that I recall going clothes-shopping with someone who was staying in Britain for a few months for a course one time back in the 1970s (when I was in my 20s). She didn't have any clothes suitable for our colder climate - hence me being sent to help her find some to buy. So - in all innocence I started taking her into the clothes shops I would go in personally to buy clothes for myself. We walked in (and out again) of numerous shops - as we couldn't find anything at all over size 16. Size 16 was the biggest size any of them stocked. Not a problem to me - as I was size 12-14 - hence it hadn't occurred to me. Eventually I had to give up all hope of taking her into any of "my" shops and we walked into Evans Outsize (as it was called then) and found her size.

I should say she was size 24 at a guess (ie modern day size label 20).

So - I'm telling myself "I'm not allowed to be bigger than size 16 - and that means modern day size label 12" and reminding myself that I would find it literally impossible to buy any clothes from most shops if I had to time-travel back to the 1970s and do my shopping then. Very different scenario nowadays - where I've checked out websites of Marks & Sparks and Dorothy Perkins and found their sizes go up to modern day size 22 (or was it 24?).
  • tootallulah
    Options
    Phew I weighed in this morning and was the same HUGE relief. Odd week this week, 2 breakfast meetings and one corporate dinner but all early in the week which helps.

Good day today, proper and enjoyable food and feeling on top of things generally. I am sure it is endorphins I had a wonderful day yesterday pottering around in the garden planting things up, tidying and picking the first peas...just four pods but they were delicious. The broad beans are podding up nicely and the runner beans have flowers. Best of all the first sweet pea flower has appeared.
  • pinkandblueshoe
    Options
    Re clothes sizes, you will always find variations. I was always a size 14, 25 years ago, but Im pretty sure even then I ad clothes in a 10 and in a 12. I was around 9 stones 4 then. Im now around 11 stones 8 and Im a size 12-14, but Ive also been the same weight as I am right now 20 years ago and been a 16. With regards to that I dont think its just as simple to say that clothes sizes are different than they were then, because my body shape is different. I do much more exercise, so I may be heavier on the scales or as heavy but I am sure my measurements have changed as well.

A few years ago when I was at my biggest, a big size 16, I had two dresses, both from the same store. One fitted me even though I was probably nearer an 18 and one wouldnt go over my knees. Both had size 16 on the label.

It also took me at least losing 21 pounds to drop a dress size. 4 stones down Ive only dropped just over two dress sizes, starting from a 16-18 to a 12-14. Im not someone who will ever drop ten pounds and lose a dress size.

I would be very wary of going by scales or even by your dress size. Its been much easier for me losing weight to use my fitness as a yardstick and my measurements.

I also have a pair of jeans in the house that I bought from a charity shop a few months ago. Size 16 on the label. They fit me perfectly. I tried on a pair of size 12 primark skinny jeans a few weeks ago, they also fit me perfectly.

Leads me to believe that I have no idea what dress size I actually am, whether Im a 12 or a 14 or a small 16.

But to be honest, it really doesn't matter as long as Im happy with how I look right now and I am. Of course womens measurements and dress sizes will have changed over the years but you'll always get variations from shop to shop even now.

Re outsize clothes, personally speaking as someone who is old enough to remember when anything over a size 14 was deemed outsize, I think it's a good thing that you can find over those sizes in mainstream shops.
  • tootallulah
    Options
    Pinkandblueshoe - I am with you be the weight where you feel happy and healthy. And for me I am sure that will co-incide with a size 16! I have been a bit stunned by how much weight I have had to lose to just go down one size - it took 30lbs. So I am guessing it will be another 30lbs to get to the next one but it will be sweet when it is here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure