PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2015 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• sheba
    sheba Posts: 218 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Me again :)

Just a spend of 2.40 today on previously mentioned French bread and mushrooms but also a jar of Dolmio for the store cupboard as Shopitize helped me to get it for a measly 60p. Will update sig later.

Am aware that spending this month seems to be non stop but I normally spend a ridiculous 700 so as long as I record everything for a couple of months, even if I do go over I think I'll be able to see where savings can be made. Having said that I am gonna try very hard to keep within my 500 budget. Keeping everything crossed x x x

Ttfn
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    I'm up to £36.89 now, with three weekly shops to go, and half term with the three of us home! Well, the ch will be at their dad's for half of the week, but still have to feed us all day. I'll just be inventive with the ton of stuff we have in...

The list for Sunday is still quite short, so hope it will be under £10. It should be if I'm strict. Need a new super six though, as not liking the current ones!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hiya everyone and a warm welcome to the new peoples :hello:

Had an on-line today from Mr T = £20.43. Should just need milk, rolls, pack-ups and f & v at the weekend so hopefully staying inside budget atm.

Hope you all have a frugal Friday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • marmiterulesok
    marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    No spends yesterday.
    Today I might get some eggs.
    Thanks for the welcome. :)
  • scotmumof3
    scotmumof3 Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome marmite and Good luck with the challenge :)
    Yesterday was a huge spend of 75p on a bag of prawn crackers to go with the guys chicken fried rice :). Today or tomorrow I will have to do a larger shop but still hoping to bring it in under £30 Fingers crossed. Hope you all have a good day :)
    Debt free as of 29.10.2020 🎉😁
    SPC #73 Feb NSD 0/20
  • miss_try_to_save
    Options
    ok £105 spent on shopping ouch what can I say but kicking myself for buying so much rubbish this week with £91 left for the month we will see what happens must admit didn't shop around as I normally do did a tes shop bit gutted really rant over on with the challenge just need to kick myself firmly and learn for next week sausage egg and chips for dinner something simple I think
    oct 2015 grocery challenge £183/£2360

0/£600 aug 2016 grocery challenge

• scotmumof3
    Options
    £28.40 spend today at Tesc*. That did include a chicken which will be 2 meals worth so not too bad :)
    SPC #73 Feb NSD 0/20
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    I'm hoping to declare at no more than £200, and ideally I'd like the shop spend to be no more than DS1's contribution with the rest coming from long-term stock (which I buy from myself). So that's £105 with £13 of that already ear-marked for his milk, but it should be possible 'cos I did it on slightly less in April and I've promised myself I'll think twice before buying 'junk' food which accounted for just over £20 of shop spends in April !!
    Half way through the month (or near enough), and I'm currently showing as 'spends' of £143.90 of which £99.10 is shop 'spends'. However hard I work I really don't think I'm going to make the rest of the month on a £56 total spend / £6 shop spend, so I'm going to have to just aim to stay below my official £253.10 budget (and try the £200 limit again next month). But the junk spend so far is under £3 which includes £1.20 tonight on a 2 litre tub of vanilla ice-cream, so that's a huuuuge improvement on all the crips, chocolate and biscuits I've been buying :T

However I've really only handed over £60.37 in the shops (have made some good Whoopsie savings), so I stand a fairly good chance of not handing over more than DS1's £105 contribution :) I still need to get a few ready meals for him (hopefully under £10 if I time it right for Whoopsies that he'll eat) and about another £7 on milk, and I need some frozen veg (another couple of £s) and a couple of fresh carrots.

The bank holiday week I'm away decorating at DDs (whilst she's away) and that could be the saving grace for my shop spending. I've already sorted almost all the food I want for the week (frozen meal portions from batch cooks, one ready meal from the freezer, bread from freezer, spread from fridge, tea bags, coffee, sugar, flavoured water, tinned / dried fruit, tinned veg, pasta, rice, pasta sauce and/or pesto, crisps, marmalade and cereal from stock). Some of that will increase my overall 'spend' as I buy back from long-term stocks, but I shouldn't part with more than a fiver in the shops while I'm away (a garlic baguette, a frozen pizza from her local L!dl for a treat one night, and possibly a carton of soya milk as I only plan to take 1 which may not quite see me though the week)
    Cheryl
  • scotmumof3
    Options
    NSD for me today so nothing to add to my total :)
    SPC #73 Feb NSD 0/20
  • sheba
    sheba Posts: 218 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Spend of 36.02 today over 2 stores leaves us with 98.08 to take us till 28th May which, in all honesty, is going to be a bit short of my projected spends of 2x £11.98 pub lunches at wetherspoons for the mother and I on the 19th and 26th, curries for next weekend from sainsbobs, which if not on offer will be £15 for the 5 of us, also I intend to do a £70 morrisons shop before the 24th to allow me to get the right number of knife stickers for a final free set. This projected spend adds up to 10.88 on top of my target of a £500 spend. This is obviously not ideal but if I could keep it to that I would actually be thrilled- I am also going to allow 4.12 for fresh bread from our local bakery and therefore try to keep the full and final total of 515 a £15 overspend for the month. Let's hope sainsbobs have the curries on offer!

Hope you're all faring a little better than me on the budget fund- have a fab weekend all
    Ttfn
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport